ECCK

Interviews in Australia set to be reduced with some cancelled

468 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ECCK said:

3rd attempt at requesting the waiver and i finally got it just then! You just get an email saying the request has been approved and that the port has been notified to let you depart Australia. It doesn't even say you need to print the email and bring it along, but I think I'll do it just to be safe. Good luck to everyone else waiting for their waiver! 

Is there an expiry date on the email? Because they say on the website that it is valid for three weeks.

For those who have been recently... I remember last time they told me that they wouldn't store my phone/belongings and to take them to a local locker....  Anyone had any issues with them storing your phone/watch, etc at security these days?

Also any issues these days bringing a 'book' or other reading material in??  Or just the paperwork?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Cilllah said:

Is there an expiry date on the email? Because they say on the website that it is valid for three weeks.

No, there isn't a expiry date on it. But the website says they're only considering requests for travel within the next three months, so I assume its valid for that period of time. 

4 minutes ago, Entheos said:

For those who have been recently... I remember last time they told me that they wouldn't store my phone/belongings and to take them to a local locker....  Anyone had any issues with them storing your phone/watch, etc at security these days?

Also any issues these days bringing a 'book' or other reading material in??  Or just the paperwork?

You can bring a bag in, like a handbag, and they'll have a small cubbyhole for you to place it in at the security desk. You can't bring anything but your paperwork and your wallet up to the consulate area (which is on a different floor to where the security area is). I asked if I could bring a bottle of water up and I had to take a sip in front of the security officer before I was allowed to. It is eerily quiet there but they have a really nice view of the harbour! 

Just now, ECCK said:

No, there isn't a expiry date on it. But the website says they're only considering requests for travel within the next three months, so I assume its valid for that period of time. 

You can bring a bag in, like a handbag, and they'll have a small cubbyhole for you to place it in at the security desk. You can't bring anything but your paperwork and your wallet up to the consulate area (which is on a different floor to where the security area is). I asked if I could bring a bottle of water up and I had to take a sip in front of the security officer before I was allowed to. It is eerily quiet there but they have a really nice view of the harbour! 

#######. I am leaving in July. July 14th is my date. I hope I scrape into the next three months thing. Wait. Do you mean they are only doing this for travel for the next three months or you can only apply IF you are leaving in the next three months?

Just now, ECCK said:

Yeah, I've been in before... So I remember the room....I just remembered that the 2 times I went they actually made me leave and drop my phone, etc somewhere offsite... along with a few others...  And I'm sure I remember them not letting people bring in anything other than the visa papers.  All good.. :)

Timeline

So this is what's on the home affair's site "Only complete this form if you are planning to travel within the next 3 months. Requests to travel outside of 3 months will not be considered." To me that means that they will only accept requests that are for travel dates within the next three months. So if you're going to be travelling in October, then it's too early to apply. Also, I'm not sure when they'll be lifting the travel ban but I assume it's around for a while given that the government doesn't seem keen for international travel until the end of the year. If you're travelling in July, you should apply immediately after you get your visa.  

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Entheos said:

Yeah, I've been in before... So I remember the room....I just remembered that the 2 times I went they actually made me leave and drop my phone, etc somewhere offsite... along with a few others...  And I'm sure I remember them not letting people bring in anything other than the visa papers.  All good.. :)

Oh, maybe they were busy back then? there isn't a lot of cubbyholes but since there's literally no one there interviewing at the moment all the cubbyholes were available!

Just now, ECCK said:

So this is what's on the home affair's site "Only complete this form if you are planning to travel within the next 3 months. Requests to travel outside of 3 months will not be considered." To me that means that they will only accept requests that are for travel dates within the next three months. So if you're going to be travelling in October, then it's too early to apply. Also, I'm not sure when they'll be lifting the travel ban but I assume it's around for a while given that the government doesn't seem keen for international travel until the end of the year. If you're travelling in July, you should apply immediately after you get your visa.  

Phew. I over thought it. This whole situation is making me crazy lol. I will be! My interview is on the 2nd and once my visa comes in the post I will apply. I still want to collect some more documents for my permission to leave!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cilllah said:

Phew. I over thought it. This whole situation is making me crazy lol. I will be! My interview is on the 2nd and once my visa comes in the post I will apply. I still want to collect some more documents for my permission to leave!

I've lost so much sleep over this whole process so I know where you're coming from haha. I recommend you putting in an earlier date than your actual date of departure to ensure you get a response before you actually leave. I've heard some people getting their approval on the day they leave and that's just too stressful.... 

2 minutes ago, ECCK said:

I've lost so much sleep over this whole process so I know where you're coming from haha. I recommend you putting in an earlier date than your actual date of departure to ensure you get a response before you actually leave. I've heard some people getting their approval on the day they leave and that's just too stressful.... 

Way too stressful. I am moving with a three year old and I am already emotional as I know my parents (who I have lived with since she was six weeks old) will be crying at the airport. I can't have no response until the day!

Timeline

@ECCK Glad to hear you got the approval, now the big question...how many submissions and what did you do differently in your last submission?   My girl is due to fly on the 30th, I know others are sooner but it is stressful.  I appreciate any advice!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Chad&Thalia said:

@ECCK Glad to hear you got the approval, now the big question...how many submissions and what did you do differently in your last submission?   My girl is due to fly on the 30th, I know others are sooner but it is stressful.  I appreciate any advice!

It was my third submission. I rewrote it completely with the help of a friend and it was actually quite similar to what @KittyKat3072 had written. I included extra detail about the K1 visa, and how the visa has an expiry date plus all the associated requirements around getting married within 90 days and that it's a pathway to legal permanent residency in the US. I also included a link to the USCIS page on K1 visas in case they needed extra detail about it. I emphasised the detriment that would occur if I didn't get to approval to fly (i.e. financial hardship, visa and medical costs would be lost, etc.) and how I had no intention of returning in the foreseeable future. Hope you hear your approval soon! 

Timeline

Hi guys, regarding emergency appointments. My application is currently "at nvc" and from what i've read they are not shipping to Sydney unless you have an emergency appointment approved? Can someone please clarify? If I wish to apply for an emergency appointment do I do it now or do I have to wait until the case is in Sydney.

Thanks

My husband and I just submitted our request for an expedited/emergency interview with the Sydney consulate for his CR1/IR1 visa.

I'm definitely getting ahead of myself here, but I've been following this thread and am I correct in understanding you all are filing for a travel exemption due to holding a K1 visa? Will my husband have to file for one as well even though he is the spouse of a US citizen? Or will he be eligible to take a repatriation flight?

Timeline

@WhyUSoMadFor most of the folks getting emergency appointments had canceled interviews. Ours was "In Transit" but had not shipped from the NVC as is the case for most of the NVC a few weeks ago.  The NVC would not ship until it received a formal request from the embassy to do so.  As far as the emergency interview request goes...I am not sure how to advise on that based on your current progress.  Best of luck, hope this helps out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.