Zoltan K

Job loss before I-485 Adjustment of Status interview

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

All,

My wife and 2 step children are going through the fiancee visa process + adjustment of status.

Our adjustment of status interview date is 4/9/2020 and on 3/6/2020 I was let go at work.

The affidavit of support (I-864) was entirely dependent on my income.

Now I have a joint sponsor who is willing to step in.

My questions:

1) will I need to fill out again my own AoS document indicating I'm now unemployed and bring that updated + the new affidavit of support from the joint sponsor for the interview?

2) any unexpected surprise I can face disclosing it during the interview process?

Anything else I need to know, need to be aware of and think about for the next 4 weeks till our interview date?

those in similar situation, could you please share how you've handled it ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 3/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, Zoltan K said:

All,

My wife and 2 step children are going through the fiancee visa process + adjustment of status.

Our adjustment of status interview date is 4/9/2020 and on 3/6/2020 I was let go at work.

The affidavit of support (I-864) was entirely dependent on my income.

Now I have a joint sponsor who is willing to step in.

My questions:

1) will I need to fill out again my own AoS document indicating I'm now unemployed and bring that updated + the new affidavit of support from the joint sponsor for the interview?

2) any unexpected surprise I can face disclosing it during the interview process?

Anything else I need to know, need to be aware of and think about for the next 4 weeks till our interview date?

those in similar situation, could you please share how you've handled it ?

Has not happened to me but, 

you may not get asked about your current employment at the interview, but take that updated joint sponsor i-864 with you just in case if you do get asked explain to them you are actively seeking new employment and have joint sponsor in the mean time.  But you may luck out and not be asked about employment or asked for any forms or letters from work,  you just may get by but it maybe risky if your caught.

If they ask you a question like any updates to your forms we need to know about , then you would tell them don't say "no" tell them the entire story.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Edited by Tidus992

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
5 hours ago, Zoltan K said:

got new job, interview got delayed due to covid. 

i managed to dodge the bullet.. ;)

That's awesome, congratulations. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.