tobias

Green Card and Food Stamp

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Someone else may offer a better answer, but I wouldn't if I were you....just in case. You are always eligible to apply as a resident of the US, but if you apply and are approved (and I'm not sure...but I think you would be denied anyway) it could affect the affidavit of support as, if I'm correct, I think Food stamps are a means-tested benefit. Perhaps someone else will clarify. Good luck! M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Someone else may offer a better answer, but I wouldn't if I were you....just in case. You are always eligible to apply as a resident of the US, but if you apply and are approved (and I'm not sure...but I think you would be denied anyway) it could affect the affidavit of support as, if I'm correct, I think Food stamps are a means-tested benefit. Perhaps someone else will clarify. Good luck! M.

:yes:http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:VFgxc...lient=firefox-a

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

You and/or your co-sponsor must still make 125% above the poverty line in keeping compliant with the I-864 . If you still qualify for food stamps, go for it.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Currently I am having a conditional green card. I would like to know whether can I eligible to apply for Food Stamp if I am a green card holder. So if I apply for Food stamp, would my food stamp will effect my renewing green card application in the future or not. Thanks a lot

If you have a U.S. citizen spouse, he/she can apply for Food Stamps in his/her name.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Timeline
According to THIS uscis.gov article that I saw posted by another person on another thread food stamps are NOT subject to public charge consideration...

I would think that this document would apply...but I am not sure.

Jme3584,

Read the document you've linked carefully.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
According to THIS uscis.gov article that I saw posted by another person on another thread food stamps are NOT subject to public charge consideration...

Jme3584,

I read it, and it looks right, but it is from 1999, I don't think I would trust it.

Bobbie & Klaus

2/23/07 Mailed Package to TSC (G-325A & I-125)

2-25-07 Online PO shows package delivered

3-06-07 NOA on I-129

3-12-07 Touched (I think)

6-8-07 Touched appropriately!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I was reading about this the other day I am pretty sure Green Card holders are not eligible for Food Stamp. If by any chance you get approved, the government can then charge your US spouse for the expenses made on your name. Food Stamps are NOT subject to public charge consideration, meaning they won't deport you if you have Food Stamps, but they can charge your sponsor for it, so I wouldn't try getting on Food Stamps.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

So the food stamp is out of the question. can i still apply for medicaid or not if my income is low enough. thanks

Yep you can apply and maybe get it but the shinola may hit the fan later!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I was reading about this the other day I am pretty sure Green Card holders are not eligible for Food Stamp. If by any chance you get approved, the government can then charge your US spouse for the expenses made on your name. Food Stamps are NOT subject to public charge consideration, meaning they won't deport you if you have Food Stamps, but they can charge your sponsor for it, so I wouldn't try getting on Food Stamps.

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Jme3584,

Got it! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't know if it is the same elsewhere but in OH if you haven't resdied in the country for 10 years or am a citizen you do not qualify for food stamps or Medicaid. I learnt the hard way last year when my husband was locked out of work for 13 months. You do however qualify for WIC which is for nursing mothers and/or children under the age of 3(5?) Thankfully my husband still made a decent wage with unemployment (12 years dedicated to a company had to pay off somewhere) and he got to work a new job for 7 months where we had benefits.

My Timeline or lack of:-

08-29-2000 First met

03-02-2004 He proposed

03-19-2004 Married Cincinnati, OH

03-25-2004 Forms filled waiting on Certified Marriage License.

03-29-2004 3 Copies of certified marriage license handed to me at the local probate court with the $2 per copy fee waived!!!

04-17-2004 FULL packet mailed off finally to Cincinnati Local office.

04-29-2004 Recieve NOA for I-130 and I-485 for our son.

05-01-2004 Recieve NOA for I-130, I-485 and EAD for me.

06-15-2004 Appointment for Fingerprinting and Biometrics at Cincy Sub office. - DONE!

06-17-2004 Cases status for AOS's and EAD updated on USCIS website.

06-21-2004 Fingerprinting review recieved by MSC for I-485's processing resumed.

07-06-2004 Change of addresses sent out to Nebraska, Kentucky and Cincinnati.

08-04-2004 EAD Approved.

08-16-2004 Applied for SSN card at local SSA, relatively painless but with a quirk.

01-30-2006 Interview Cincinnati, APPROVED pending Medical and Vaccination Supplement.

03-14-2006 We're PREGNANT!!

03-23-2006 AOS Notice recieved!!!!

04-03-2006 Cards recieved!

04-24-2006 Miscarriage 12w

04-01-2007 Miscarriage 6w

06-01-2007 Fertility testing begins

07-29-2007 First trip back to England in 4 years.

03-26-2009 DS2 Arrival 7lb 8oz

05-17-2010 We're expecting AGAIN!!

01-13-2011 DD Arrival 6lb 6oz

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Currently I am having a conditional green card. I would like to know whether can I eligible to apply for Food Stamp if I am a green card holder. So if I apply for Food stamp, would my food stamp will effect my renewing green card application in the future or not. Thanks a lot

I don't even think you would qualify UNLESS the laws have changed. I had my GC from 1983-2002 because when I was 7, my stepfather petitioned for me and my mom. Anyhow, my daughter is an American citizen (born in El Paso, TX). When my ex-husband abandoned me in 2002, I applied for food stamps. I did not qualify be cause I was not a US citizen and as a legal resident, I did not have enough working quarters. They tried adding my mom's working quarters to combine it wih mine but it still wasnt enough .. So anyhow, I was denied; however, I did get $132 per month for my American daughter.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.