23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Just now, SDNOMAD said:

Thank you! I have been confused with which form my mom should fill out aswell since she will be a joint sponsor as well as living in the same house hold temporarily as we do not intend to live with her permanently. Does she fill out the I-864 or the I-864a? 

Btw I just wanna add a big thank you as I see you answering question for everyone you have been a huge help! 

A "joint sponsor" always completes an I-864.  She's not combining income with you as a household member.  You'll provide your own I-864, of course.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

I agree that it would generally not be accepted as qualifying income.

Although I would disagree that - as a general rule - temporary income sources do not qualify. I know plenty of people that do contract work - as full time, temporary employees of the company (not self-employed) - for several months at a time, and they have qualified as sponsors using the income from their current, fixed-term contract. So the determining factor was not that it was temporary employment or temporary income.

Edit: I should probably clarify the above...rereading it makes me think it may be unclear what was meant.

I know people who are W-2 employees, but are brought on to fulfill a contract that may last several months. Their employment agreement states that they will terminate employment at the end of the contract. Some of those people submitted said letter with their packet and were approved (others did not include it).

How long and on what basis (status) are you in Canada? "Temporary" could mean a work visa for years.

If you're just a visitor, then your domicile and physical address would still be in the US.

Whether a temporary contract W2 employee would qualify would depend on the totality of circumstances.  Technically, a lot of "employment" is "at will" anyway.  Certainly not guaranteed to continue.  That's why totality of circumstances is so important.  Lots of union construction trades are only employed temporarily, but year after year make great income.  Context is king here.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Just now, pushbrk said:

Whether a temporary contract W2 employee would qualify would depend on the totality of circumstances.  Technically, a lot of "employment" is "at will" anyway.  Certainly not guaranteed to continue.  That's why totality of circumstances is so important.  Lots of union construction trades are only employed temporarily, but year after year make great income.  Context is king here.

^Exactly

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

A "joint sponsor" always completes an I-864.  She's not combining income with you as a household member.  You'll provide your own I-864, of course.

Ok awesome 1 last question on my I-864 in the section “assets of principle sponsored immigrant” my husband does own a home completely payed off as well as money in an investment account should I put that amounts in there? And if I add this what additional  documents would he have to provide to prove the assets? 

Timeline
Just now, SDNOMAD said:

Ok awesome 1 last question on my I-864 in the section “assets of principle sponsored immigrant” my husband does own a home completely payed off as well as money in an investment account should I put that amounts in there? And if I add this what additional  documents would he have to provide to prove the assets? 

No.  Your mother is going to qualify based on income, so not even she needs to list any assets.  I really think it is time for you to take a time-out on questions and study both the form and its instructions before asking more.  Clearly, you have not done either yet.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

No.  Your mother is going to qualify based on income, so not even she needs to list any assets.  I really think it is time for you to take a time-out on questions and study both the form and its instructions before asking more.  Clearly, you have not done either yet.

Thanks for your advise! I’ve actually reviewed both several times and to be honest I find everything incredibly overwhelming and confusing which is why I’m just confirming on here! But absolutely I will read over it again! 

Thanks again!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, SDNOMAD said:

Thanks for your advise! I’ve actually reviewed both several times and to be honest I find everything incredibly overwhelming and confusing which is why I’m just confirming on here! But absolutely I will read over it again! 

Thanks again!

When you do so carefully with literal interpretation, it will help.  You'll see things like how listing assets is optional when income is sufficient.  The instructions answer several of the questions you've asked.  For some, they can be quite daunting though.  Learn to interpret literally, as opposed to conveniently.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

OP, you may also want to look into specifics for domicile as it pertains to Montreal.  I don't have personal experience with it, but I have read many accounts of the Montreal consulate being particularly strict about domicile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.