Smokey Bear

My K1 Interview Checklist - Anything to add?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
  • Passport
  • Passport (US Style) Photos (x2)

--------------

• Police Report

----------------

• Divorce Cert
  • Birth Cert (My Original)
  • Former Marriage Cert (Notary Copy)
  • Children's' Birth Certs (Notary Copy) (They are not coming with me)

-----------------

• DS-160 (2 Page Summary)
  • Confirmation / Instruction Page (emailed from Embassy)

--------------

• Completed I-134
  • Letter from Fiance's Employer
  • Bank Statements (Notorised)
  • Latest W2 (Also have 2 years worth)
  • Updated letter of intent to marry

----------------

• Proof of Medical (?)

---------------

Do I need proof of relationship again?

I can bring stuff if they want.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I never got a letter from them (Packet 3?) - but I contacted them and they said I could book anyway. Is there ANYTHING in that letter/pack I am missing that I need?

When I look at the site it says to make copies of all this as well - aside from the photos/passport.

Does anyone know if I need extra copies?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Smokey Bear said:
  • Passport
  • Passport (US Style) Photos (x2)

--------------

• Police Report

----------------

• Divorce Cert
  • Birth Cert (My Original)
  • Former Marriage Cert (Notary Copy)
  • Children's' Birth Certs (Notary Copy) (They are not coming with me)

-----------------

• DS-160 (2 Page Summary)
  • Confirmation / Instruction Page (emailed from Embassy)

--------------

• Completed I-134
  • Letter from Fiance's Employer
  • Bank Statements (Notorised)
  • Latest W2 (Also have 2 years worth)
  • Updated letter of intent to marry

----------------

• Proof of Medical (?)

---------------

I can bring stuff if they want.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I never got a letter from them (Packet 3?) - but I contacted them and they said I could book anyway. Is there ANYTHING in that letter/pack I am missing that I need?

When I look at the site it says to make copies of all this as well - aside from the photos/passport.

Does anyone know if I need extra copies?

I did not see you mention either IRS transcripts or tax form copies with the I134.  As to making copies, it is always a good idea to maintain a master copy for your own records in case the CO decides to keep some of what you bring to the interview, but there is no need to bring that copy to the interview.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
Just now, Bill & Katya said:

I did not see you mention either IRS transcripts or tax form copies with the I134.  As to making copies, it is always a good idea to maintain a master copy for your own records in case the CO decides to keep some of what you bring to the interview, but there is no need to bring that copy to the interview.

Good Luck!

W2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_W-2

That's the IRS stuff right? I'll get pay slips too. Is there anything else I would need?

I don't have the "approved"  petition from them directly as they didnt send it, but I have my copy and an EMAIL to say its approved and the actual NOA2

I asked them , as I said if I can book without their letter , they said say, I have an email, I printed that too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Smokey Bear said:

W2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_W-2

That's the IRS stuff right? I'll get pay slips too. Is there anything else I would need?

I don't have the "approved"  petition from them directly as they didnt send it, but I have my copy and an EMAIL to say its approved and the actual NOA2

I asked them , as I said if I can book without their letter , they said say, I have an email, I printed that too.

Generally, relative to taxes, you need to have copies of the W2s/1099s as well as copies of the 1040 the sponsor has filed, or copies of the IRS tax transcripts.  Most consulates prefer the IRS tax transcripts as they prove taxes were actually filed.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@Smokey Bear

You have more than needed for a London interview, except you failed to mention that you have a receipt for paying the visa fee online.

Based on the combined experiences of  hundreds of London K1s in this UK forum—-

Confirmation of appointment, submission of DS-160, and paying fee 

✔️Passport Valid for six months beyond your intended date of entry into the United States;

✔️Passport (US Style) Photos (x2) ONLY 1

--------------

✔️Police Report

----------------

✔️Divorce Cert

✔️Birth Cert (My Original) With parent names on it

Former Marriage Cert (Notary Copy)

Children's' Birth Certs (Notary Copy) (They are not coming with me)

--------------

✔️Completed I-134

✔️Letter from Fiance's Employer A good proof London likes

Bank Statements (Notorised)

Latest W2 (Also have 2 years worth)  A backup proof

Tax return or transcript  Not a requirement in London if you have other proof

Updated letter of intent to marry Only if your NOA2 is expired by interview day. Yours isn’t.

----------------

Proof of Medical (?)

---------------

When I look at the site it says to make copies of all this as well - aside from the photos/passport. Does anyone know if I need extra copies?

The letter from embassy you didn’t get

Copy of petition or NOA2

SO bring anything you want to bring. This is simply meant to show you that a London interview is easier than you are imagining. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
On 1/31/2020 at 4:11 PM, Wuozopo said:

You have more than needed for a London interview, except you failed to mention that you have a receipt for paying the visa fee online.

This is included in the same email as the INSTRUCTION SHEET I mentioned :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Smokey Bear said:

This is included in the same email as the INSTRUCTION SHEET I mentioned :)

It sounds like you are well prepared. A little more on evidence with the I-134.

They have approved lots and lots of K1s in London with just one proof of income. If you hand over a pile of things to the document collector (first window) they may keep all of it. That doesn’t mean it was required. I turned in a huge pile showing hundreds of thousands. The lady pushed it all back under the glass and kept only a letter showing a yearly distribution just over $20k. That’s all the interviewing officer got to see, but it was over the threshold so enough. On a K1, there is nothing written in the law (Foreign Affairs Manual) that says specific proofs must be provided. It says the officer must be convinced you will not become a public charge. From what others have reported, the officers in London are convinced with just about any one proof. A second one is for backup.

Planning ahead—-When you adjust status, there is going to be another affidavit of support I-864 which has stricter rules written in the law. The most recent tax return is required, no exceptions even if it doesn’t show enough income. And some don’t understand a complete tax return is a photocopy print out of every page in the return PLUS a copy of the W2 with it. Tax return pages alone fails. W2 by itself fails.  Or instead of all that, a transcript of the tax return provided by the IRS can be used. A transcript is complete by itself. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.