Jump to content

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys ,

It has been a while since I was on Visa Journey . I have a question and hope I can get some answers . I am asking for a family friend .

The Petitioner wants to abandon the petition and told his fiancée that the relationship is off after 1 year . He does not wish to proceed with the petition for his fiancée and her daughter .

The daughter did her biometrics and his fiancée is scheduled for her biometrics later this month .

My question : How can she proceed with the petition without the petitioner help ? I am willing to be a co-sponsor and complete the I-184 ( Affidavit of Support ) for her . Her daughter received a RFE for the I-184 and she have a deadline at the end of Jan to complete .

What are her options at this point in the process ?

I appreciate any input .

Thanks.   


-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

01-17-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)
01-21-2015 = N-400 packet delivered
01/25/2015 = E confirmation / Text received

01/26/2015 = Check cashed .

02/02/2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01/21/2015)
02/09/2015 = Biometrics Letter received .

02/18/2015 = Biometrics

02/20/2015 = In line for interview

04/10/2015 = Interview Letter received .

05/11/2015 =Interview .

05/11/2015 = Passed Interview
07/01/2015 = Oath letter received
07/24/2015 = Oath Cerememony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Are they adjusting status from k1? If so they would be married not fiancé.


Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

 

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

 

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

 

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Richie Rich said:

My question : How can she proceed with the petition without the petitioner help ? I am willing to be a co-sponsor and complete the I-184 ( Affidavit of Support ) for her . Her daughter received a RFE for the I-184 and she have a deadline at the end of Jan to complete .

What are her options at this point in the process ?

Not possible. The petitioner must be the primary I-864 sponsor.

It's possible he didn't withdraw it yet, but expect that to happen.

 

If she came on a K class visa, then she cannot adjust status through anybody else either.


Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes , they came on a K1 visa and are married . 

Is it possible that they can self sponsor themselves if the petition is denied. Someone said it has happened before and they filed as  a self sponsor. 


-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

01-17-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)
01-21-2015 = N-400 packet delivered
01/25/2015 = E confirmation / Text received

01/26/2015 = Check cashed .

02/02/2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01/21/2015)
02/09/2015 = Biometrics Letter received .

02/18/2015 = Biometrics

02/20/2015 = In line for interview

04/10/2015 = Interview Letter received .

05/11/2015 =Interview .

05/11/2015 = Passed Interview
07/01/2015 = Oath letter received
07/24/2015 = Oath Cerememony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Richie Rich said:

Yes , they came on a K1 visa and are married . 

Is it possible that they can self sponsor themselves if the petition is denied. Someone said it has happened before and they filed as  a self sponsor. 

 

I think the bigger issue is that the I-485 cannot be processed without an I-130. If the petitioning spouse doesn’t want to submit / wants to withdraw, the beneficiary cannot proceed.

 

One solution may be to switch to VAWA, but it’s unclear if the beneficiary is a victim of abuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Richie Rich said:

Yes , they came on a K1 visa and are married . 

Is it possible that they can self sponsor themselves if the petition is denied. Someone said it has happened before and they filed as  a self sponsor. 

The only way to self-sponsor would be via VAWA (or via being a victim of human trafficking, or in certain cases to aid with law enforcement for criminal activities). Nothing about "extreme abuse" has been claimed, so VAWA doesn't appear to apply.

Other than the above provision, there is no way to do AOS via a K class visa except via the support of the original petitioner. K visas have this extra provision built into them.

 

2 hours ago, gramercygreen said:

I think the bigger issue is that the I-485 cannot be processed without an I-130. If the petitioning spouse doesn’t want to submit / wants to withdraw, the beneficiary cannot proceed.

K -1 visas use an I-129F, not an I-130. The I-129F would have already been approved just to get the K-1 visa.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The petitioner did submit the I-184 but was given a RFE ( Did not meet the required income level ) . Can My wife and I submit another affidavit of support as a co-sponsor .

The petitioner is filing for bankruptcy and as a result do not wish to proceed with the petition .

We just learn that the Petitioner wants to file for divorce and dissolve the marriage .

Is there any hope for the family friend and her daughter ? If denied , what are her options ? Does she have to return home ? Can she remain here until after the divorce ?  if she is remarried , how soon can someone file a petition for her ?

I appreciate  any input .   


-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

01-17-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)
01-21-2015 = N-400 packet delivered
01/25/2015 = E confirmation / Text received

01/26/2015 = Check cashed .

02/02/2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01/21/2015)
02/09/2015 = Biometrics Letter received .

02/18/2015 = Biometrics

02/20/2015 = In line for interview

04/10/2015 = Interview Letter received .

05/11/2015 =Interview .

05/11/2015 = Passed Interview
07/01/2015 = Oath letter received
07/24/2015 = Oath Cerememony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Richie Rich said:

The petitioner did submit the I-184 but was given a RFE ( Did not meet the required income level ) . Can My wife and I submit another affidavit of support as a co-sponsor .

The petitioner is filing for bankruptcy and as a result do not wish to proceed with the petition .

We just learn that the Petitioner wants to file for divorce and dissolve the marriage .

Is there any hope for the family friend and her daughter ? If denied , what are her options ? Does she have to return home ? Can she remain here until after the divorce ?  if she is remarried , how soon can someone file a petition for her ?

I appreciate  any input .   

The petitioner can withdraw the I-864 at any time prior to AOS approval.

However, since they got an RFE/RFIE for the I-864, unless he is both willing to proceed with a new I-864 AND there is a suitable joint sponsor is found AND she shows a bona fide marriage at the time (this falls under Matter of Sesay - typically not DIY - get professional assistance), there is no avenue to complete AOS based on that existing petition.

She cannot AOS through a petition with anybody else - a restriction of the K visa is that you have to AOS through the original petitioner. For any other path to legal status (i.e. if she found another spouse), she has to leave the US to complete the process.

 

Once the I-485 is denied, she will be unlawfully present in the US. She will need to leave to avoid a 3/10 year bar due to overstay.

Upon denial, she will get a notice that she needs to leave the US.

"Shortly" (in immigration terms) after that, she will be issued a Notice To Appear (NTA) for immigration court to begin removal proceedings, assuming she does not leave on her own.

For anything regarding the divorce, she should seek a divorce attorney. There is no requirement to remain in the US to complete a divorce, so expect to handle that on a separate timeline. It may or may not complete before denial, before the NTA, or before removal.

 

If she does find a new petitioner, the new petition can be filed as soon as she is eligible - i.e. if she remarries, the I-130 petition can be filed as soon as she is legally married (meaning her prior marriage has to be fully dissolved first).

She would need to leave the US to complete processing abroad, per the above.

If she overstays by 180+ days, she would need a waiver for the overstay, or to wait out the bar.

 

The only exception to stay legally are if she was subject to "extreme cruelty" and abuse by her spouse/former spouse, and she can show this, via a VAWA claim.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 10:38 PM, geowrian said:

The petitioner can withdraw the I-864 at any time prior to AOS approval.

However, since they got an RFE/RFIE for the I-864, unless he is both willing to proceed with a new I-864 AND there is a suitable joint sponsor is found AND she shows a bona fide marriage at the time (this falls under Matter of Sesay - typically not DIY - get professional assistance), there is no avenue to complete AOS based on that existing petition.

She cannot AOS through a petition with anybody else - a restriction of the K visa is that you have to AOS through the original petitioner. For any other path to legal status (i.e. if she found another spouse), she has to leave the US to complete the process.

 

Once the I-485 is denied, she will be unlawfully present in the US. She will need to leave to avoid a 3/10 year bar due to overstay.

Upon denial, she will get a notice that she needs to leave the US.

"Shortly" (in immigration terms) after that, she will be issued a Notice To Appear (NTA) for immigration court to begin removal proceedings, assuming she does not leave on her own.

For anything regarding the divorce, she should seek a divorce attorney. There is no requirement to remain in the US to complete a divorce, so expect to handle that on a separate timeline. It may or may not complete before denial, before the NTA, or before removal.

 

If she does find a new petitioner, the new petition can be filed as soon as she is eligible - i.e. if she remarries, the I-130 petition can be filed as soon as she is legally married (meaning her prior marriage has to be fully dissolved first).

She would need to leave the US to complete processing abroad, per the above.

If she overstays by 180+ days, she would need a waiver for the overstay, or to wait out the bar.

 

The only exception to stay legally are if she was subject to "extreme cruelty" and abuse by her spouse/former spouse, and she can show this, via a VAWA claim.

Thanks for your input . I appreciate the response.


-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

01-17-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)
01-21-2015 = N-400 packet delivered
01/25/2015 = E confirmation / Text received

01/26/2015 = Check cashed .

02/02/2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01/21/2015)
02/09/2015 = Biometrics Letter received .

02/18/2015 = Biometrics

02/20/2015 = In line for interview

04/10/2015 = Interview Letter received .

05/11/2015 =Interview .

05/11/2015 = Passed Interview
07/01/2015 = Oath letter received
07/24/2015 = Oath Cerememony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
“;}
×
×
  • Create New...