SadFace

I-751 January 2020 Filers

20 posts in this topic

Why nervous?

What is in your package?

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Timeline
Just now, Suze1 said:

Why nervous?

What is in your package?

I got our son birth sertivicate, 

Savings and cheking bank acc statements, 

I put copies of our credit cards, but statements for them are just on my husbands name, I highlighted card numbers in statements, hope will work

Insurance - life, health

Army ids and benefits

Drivers licence

House lease 2018

Documents for new house we bought this year

Work benefits and retirement letters, showing me as benefeciary

Electricity bills and gas company service contract

Family pictures and ultrasound picture of one more baby expected soon.

My main problem, is, that I cant fill form correctly, following rule put N/A everywhere where I left empty spaces. Form blocking it and not allow to put symbols like  /\ , just letters, and on number section I cant put none, just numbers. Its very frustraiting, I just physically cant follow instructions. I wonder if it is just me so stupid, or others have same problem and how they have it solved. 

I need a glass of vine to chill my nerves :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
7 minutes ago, SadFace said:

I got our son birth sertivicate, 

Savings and cheking bank acc statements, 

I put copies of our credit cards, but statements for them are just on my husbands name, I highlighted card numbers in statements, hope will work

Insurance - life, health

Army ids and benefits

Drivers licence

House lease 2018

Documents for new house we bought this year

Work benefits and retirement letters, showing me as benefeciary

Electricity bills and gas company service contract

Family pictures and ultrasound picture of one more baby expected soon.

My main problem, is, that I cant fill form correctly, following rule put N/A everywhere where I left empty spaces. Form blocking it and not allow to put symbols like  /\ , just letters, and on number section I cant put none, just numbers. Its very frustraiting, I just physically cant follow instructions. I wonder if it is just me so stupid, or others have same problem and how they have it solved. 

I need a glass of vine to chill my nerves :)

Remember the copy of front and back of GC and also your tax transcripts for the last couple years. And make sure evidence goes back from when you were married til now. Also highlighting may not be a good idea as they scan everything in so it may just be all black on their computer.

Yeah, I hear ya. Had similar sentiments at the time.

Here is what I would do - 

Try to think about each category from the Immigration Officer's perspective, to the extent you can.

Organize your list in order of importance:

Legal stuff with the same Address - Driver's license, leases, titles, insurance, home ownership, etc.

Financial Co-mingling - Taxes, bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

etc..

So, from your list - 

Drivers licenses - FOR BOTH OF YOU

House lease 2018 - Great, particularly if both names are on it.

Documents for new house we bought this year - Great, particularly if both names are on it.

Savings and cheking bank acc statements for  - BOTH OF YOU. Don't have to do every month, can do quarterly, but cover the entire married period.

Credit cards, but statements for them are just on my husbands name, I highlighted card numbers in statements, hope will work - Okay, you have what you have, but consider being put on the credit cards.

Insurance - life, health - Good

Army ids and benefits - Great!

Work benefits and retirement letters, showing me as benefeciary - Great!

Electricity bills and gas company service contract - Great!

I got our son birth certificate - Great!

Family pictures and ultrasound picture of one more baby expected soon. - Good but not as impactful.

You have lots of good documentation - but where are TAXES? You need those. FOR BOTH of YOU, SHOWING MARRIED, Address, for the entire period, etc.

Tax transcripts are the best way to go, I think.

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Regarding the N/A's, we have a similar experience.

Don't over stress about it.

Can't remember what we put in each field on the form-fillable form. We might have manually written it in the main question, and left the IF applicable sub-parts blank.

We also decided to include a section in the cover letter, to feel better about it. Maybe it helped.

NA.png.60c7d7dd7a34ffe2a37ff5e5bc2f5318.png

We got approved with no interview and no RFE's.

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

Yeah, I hear ya. Had similar sentiments at the time.

Here is what I would do - 

Try to think about each category from the Immigration Officer's perspective, to the extent you can.

Organize your list in order of importance:

Legal stuff with the same Address - Driver's license, leases, titles, insurance, home ownership, etc.

Financial Co-mingling - Taxes, bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

etc..

So, from your list - 

Drivers licenses - FOR BOTH OF YOU

House lease 2018 - Great, particularly if both names are on it.

Documents for new house we bought this year - Great, particularly if both names are on it.

Savings and cheking bank acc statements for  - BOTH OF YOU. Don't have to do every month, can do quarterly, but cover the entire married period.

Credit cards, but statements for them are just on my husbands name, I highlighted card numbers in statements, hope will work - Okay, you have what you have, but consider being put on the credit cards.

Insurance - life, health - Good

Army ids and benefits - Great!

Work benefits and retirement letters, showing me as benefeciary - Great!

Electricity bills and gas company service contract - Great!

I got our son birth certificate - Great!

Family pictures and ultrasound picture of one more baby expected soon. - Good but not as impactful.

You have lots of good documentation - but where are TAXES? You need those. FOR BOTH of YOU, SHOWING MARRIED, Address, for the entire period, etc.

Tax transcripts are the best way to go, I think.

Oh yeah, Taxes, I put them first, also as GK copies (me and 2 daughters).

I also wonder, we had interview in march 2018 and I brought all statements from marriage till that time and they should be in my case already, right? I printed new statements since that time, or should I do all them again?

and still cant fill form properly....  probably will leave ampty spaces and add info in cover letter, I think its a good idea

Edited by SadFace

Cover the entire marital period for everything - leases, taxes, credit cards, etc. Even if not in the US.

Even if sent before, send it again.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

What did you send for taxes, exactly?

Taxes are MAJOR evidence. MAJOR!

As Georgia16 said, Green card. Yes, good you included that. Is MAJOR, of course.

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

What did you send for taxes, exactly?

Taxes are MAJOR evidence. MAJOR!

As Georgia16 said, Green card. Yes, good you included that. Is MAJOR, of course.

we got tax return for 2018, in 2017 I was not resident and could not be included in his taxes as well as I could not file anything, I was not working, didn't have employment authorisation and I moved in the middle of the year. So, we got just one year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
Just now, SadFace said:

we got tax return for 2018, in 2017 I was not resident and could not be included in his taxes as well as I could not file anything, I was not working, didn't have employment authorisation and I moved in the middle of the year. So, we got just one year.

That does not sound right. I also moved in the middle of the year and I was included in the taxes. Not working have nothing to do with being included in the taxes.

Taxes FOR THE ENTIRE MARITAL PERIOD, showing "MARRIED" status, no matter where you lived at the time, and whether you had income or not.

In our case, the Immigrant spouse lived overseas as well while married (since we did CR-1). 

We sent tax documents "MARRIED - FILING SEPARATE" for each of us, and sent the overseas foreign taxes for the immigrating spouse, as well, for the year she immigrated, and MARRIED - FILED JOINTLY, for all years after immigrating, our personal choice. As long as it says "Married" since married, you are covered.

Writing a letter saying you did not need to file taxes, or filing the shortest form taxes would cover you.

Really look at your tax situation and the tax filing requirements.

Then you will be more covered and probably less nervous.

Is this, actually, why you feel some level of nervousness - Your tax situation?

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

Taxes FOR THE ENTIRE MARITAL PERIOD, showing "MARRIED" status, no matter where you lived at the time, and whether you had income or not.

In our case, the Immigrant spouse lived overseas as well while married (since we did CR-1). 

We sent tax documents "MARRIED - FILING SEPARATE" for each of us, and sent the overseas foreign taxes for the immigrating spouse, as well, for the year she immigrated, and MARRIED - FILED JOINTLY, for all years after immigrating.

Really look at your tax situation and the tax filing requirements.

Then you will be more covered and probably less nervous.

Is this, actually, why you feel some level of nervousness - Your tax situation?

Im not worry about taxes 2017 because I did not have anything when I came to tax adviser, no ssn, no GK, Just russian passport, he said that I cant file anything.

I am more worry about filing form, this stupid requirements with N/A just kills me, I just cant fill it followinf instructions, and without that form I cant file anything 

Are you sending tax transcripts, tax returns and W2's, what?

Also, consider writing in "N/A" after you print it.

You are sending hard copy after all, right!!??

P.S. If memory serves, I THINK we might have entered "N A" in the fillable form and then put the slashes in by hand, to make it "N/A".

But you HAVE to make sure you don't miss any, of course, otherwise it will look like your answer is "N A". hee hee

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

Are you sending tax transcripts, tax returns and W2's, what?

Also, consider writing in "N/A" after you print it.

You are sending hard copy after all, right!!??

1040 and w2

can I add anything after print? I just didnt know that, in russia if you do it the document is not acceptable any more

Edited by SadFace

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.