Matt W

K1 - Affidavit of Support, assets, & co-sponsors

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So I have read lots of things that says the consular officers at Manila don't even ask for or look at the affidavit of support. I have also read that at Manila they also don't accept assets (in lieu of income) or co-sponsors.

Anyone out there that has done a K1 interview recently that can verify what they look at and accept or not?

7 minutes ago, Matt W said:

So I have read lots of things that says the consular officers at Manila don't even ask for or look at the affidavit of support. I have also read that at Manila they also don't accept assets (in lieu of income) or co-sponsors.

Anyone out there that has done a K1 interview recently that can verify what they look at and accept or not?

Generally they don't even ask for the I-134, but it's best to prepare it in case they ask for it. As far as the assets  and or co sponsors I'm sure other VJers will be along shortly to answer those questions.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

They usually don't ask for it. But they can and rarely do. An I-134 + supporting evidence should be prepared.

Assets are not generally considered.

Co sponsors are accepted on a case by case basis...usually a close family member would be acceptable.

CO's discretion  on all of the above, as always.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

55 minutes ago, Matt W said:

Keep in mind that AOS can be denied shortly after if you don't meet the financial eligibility.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Keep in mind that AOS can be denied shortly after if you don't meet the financial eligibility.

I have sufficient W2, stock investment income and liquid assets but my tax returns actually show a negative total income due to private business investments with losses. So my case is weird and complicated. Trying to figure out how to navigate this. 

I'm hoping the CO looks at our case and just sees I'm obviously not poor and approves us. 🙏

18 minutes ago, Matt W said:

I have sufficient W2, stock investment income and liquid assets but my tax returns actually show a negative total income due to private business investments with losses. So my case is weird and complicated. Trying to figure out how to navigate this. 

I'm hoping the CO looks at our case and just sees I'm obviously not poor and approves us. 🙏

You'll probably get through the K-1 at Manila with that, mostly because they often don't request the I-134.

You likely won't get through AOS with that, though. The I-864 is required there. Your total current income would be your wage income + other income (which appears to be both negative and greater than wage income). A requirement of the I-864 is to have your current annual income at least at 125% of the FPL. Obviously a negative number won't meet that.

Hopefully your 2019 returns will show a better story.

Edit: This assumes the losses were on income. Idk you situation or exactly how certain investments play into this (normally I see this via self-employment, especially for those starting/growing a business).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, Matt W said:

Since 2014 the embassy has been very sporadic with asking for the I-134 and support evidence.    When they do they want your most recent tax return & W-2.   Your income must meet or exceed the I-864P poverty guidelines.   If your income does not meet the requirements the embassy most times want to see a joint sponsor.        Lately they have started to consider assets, but not necessary to list them if you don't need them.

Here is a guide for the visa process in the Phils.   I-129F is in the 2nd section lower down.      https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
12 hours ago, Matt W said:

I have read lots of things that says the consular officers at Manila don't even ask for or look at the affidavit of support.

My fiancée was asked for my I-134 and tax return last week. Manila embassy 12/19/19. Maybe it’s rare, but it does occur.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Russ&MaryAnn said:

My fiancée was asked for my I-134 and tax return last week. Manila embassy 12/19/19. Maybe it’s rare, but it does occur.

Yes, not common but  does happen.    The support evidence is still listed as required on the checklist .. at the option of the CO whether it is asked for or not.     As I say ... Be Prepared!

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
On 12/25/2019 at 11:35 PM, Hank_ said:

Yes, not common but  does happen.    The support evidence is still listed as required on the checklist .. at the option of the CO whether it is asked for or not.     As I say ... Be Prepared!

Can we have the I-134 and other documents scanned and sent to me via email? Because I read somewhere that it should have the original signature. No need to send via FedEx? Thanks😊

Timeline
6 minutes ago, KristineJ said:

Can we have the I-134 and other documents scanned and sent to me via email? Because I read somewhere that it should have the original signature. No need to send via FedEx? Thanks😊

Sending Documents To The Beneficiary For The Interview

Petitioner! When sending documents to your fiancee for the interview; I-134, most recent tax return & W2, along with a copy of the original I-129F .. ALL these documents can be scanned as a .PDF file then emailed to your fiancee.

Here is a guide for the complete process:  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

yes you can scan and email ALL; I-134, most recent tax return/transcript & W-2.   Original not necessary.

That's great! Thank you😊

Timeline
18 minutes ago, KristineJ said:

That's great! Thank you😊

Another quick question, we don't have a copy of our I-129f, can we just fill up a new one?

Timeline
On 12/25/2019 at 11:35 PM, Hank_ said:

Another quick question, we don't have a copy of our I-129f, can we just fill up a new one?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, KristineJ said:

Another quick question, we don't have a copy of our I-129f, can we just fill up a new one?

All that is important for your fiancee is YOUR BIO information from the I-129F ... complete that section and email it to her.   The information will be helpful for the interview and for CFO

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.