nociuduis

Can i marry a girl with K2 VISA?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Mom and 2 daughters(6,20 yrs) have been in the country since september. they got their interviews and the 20yr old got her SS# and work permit, shes fine with her paperwork. But i met the 20yr old daughter 6months ago, and now i want to marry this girl. How is that going to hurt her status? Anything to worry about? just information on that and we can take it from there, thank you all!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Mom and 2 daughters(6,20 yrs) have been in the country since september. they got their interviews and the 20yr old got her SS# and work permit, shes fine with her paperwork. But i met the 20yr old daughter 6months ago, and now i want to marry this girl. How is that going to hurt her status? Anything to worry about? just information on that and we can take it from there, thank you all!

The K-2 is of no concern, what is her current status? Is she a Legal Permanent Resident (ie... greencard?, the use of the term "work permit" is a bit ambigous and could mean a couple different things)....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

She can adjust status after marriage.

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Her current status is K2...she had her interview April 11th, 2007. all went all. They are now just waiting on her "green card." Would it be a problem, if she moved out of that address, lived with me, then got married few months down the road. make it simple, are their going to put any stress on any ones status or delay?

The K-2 is of no concern, what is her current status? Is she a Legal Permanent Resident (ie... greencard?, the use of the term "work permit" is a bit ambigous and could mean a couple different things)....

Timeline

Depends... If she has not already adjusted I would be getting worried about aging out way before I was worried about marriage......

YMMV

I get she can adjust status, but is that going to take away work permit? or any "priviledges" shes got now? does she have to live at the address, that she appilied with on her interview?

yes thats the easy way. can she not live at the addresss she applied for green card with? Being she had her interview april 11, whats a real time, she will get her green card?

I would wait until she has her green card, and then the two of you should be able to marry with no problem.

Timeline
Her current status is K2...she had her interview April 11th, 2007. all went all. They are now just waiting on her "green card." Would it be a problem, if she moved out of that address, lived with me, then got married few months down the road. make it simple, are their going to put any stress on any ones status or delay?

Her status is not K-2... that expired 90 days after arrival.

YMMV

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
yes thats the easy way. can she not live at the addresss she applied for green card with? Being she had her interview april 11, whats a real time, she will get her green card?

I'm thinking that once she gets her green card and decides to move wherever, she has to inform USCIS of her new residence. I think that's form AR-11. As for when she'll get her greend card, was she approved pending name check? If this is the case, the green card won't be issued until name check is cleared.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline
ok thats fine. its what she told me. whatever her status is, can we do what we want? What is her status, to ur knowledge?

Once she has her LPR status (ie... greencard), she can pretty much live her life... As mentioned before I think an important thing to do is to just keep the address the USCIS has on file for her current....

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
ok thats fine. its what she told me. whatever her status is, can we do what we want? What is her status, to ur knowledge?

You mentioned something about an interview recently. Was that the adjustment of status interview here in the US? Do you mean she passed the interview and is just waiting for the green card to arrive in the mail?

If the answer to both above is yes, then her status is Legal Permanent Resident. In any event, if she has filed to adjust status and can get mail at the address she used on the AOS filing, then you just live your life as if she had no immigration issues at this point. If she wants to move in with you or marry you, go for it.

Neither marriage or moving will cause a problem with her EAD (work permit) or the issue of the green card, if she's already approved or otherwise qualifies. If for some reason (It would be unrelated to you.) her green card (Status Adustment) is denied, then you just file again with her as your wife. She's here legally.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Wow this response sounds soo professional. i actually spoke to a lawyer, and she said to wait till she gets green card, and no problems arise, from the simple fact that, she was here as unmarried and under 21. her interview in april was for ger green card, and she said, shes waiting for it in the mail, so i asume she got approved. yes she can still receive mail, which is where her mother resides.

overall recap...

get married, tomorrow, and no problems will arise?

i figured that as common sense. if she already got approved, that means her name came out clear, so why would they go back and look again, just because she got married. they r doing double work. am i right?

You mentioned something about an interview recently. Was that the adjustment of status interview here in the US? Do you mean she passed the interview and is just waiting for the green card to arrive in the mail?

If the answer to both above is yes, then her status is Legal Permanent Resident. In any event, if she has filed to adjust status and can get mail at the address she used on the AOS filing, then you just live your life as if she had no immigration issues at this point. If she wants to move in with you or marry you, go for it.

Neither marriage or moving will cause a problem with her EAD (work permit) or the issue of the green card, if she's already approved or otherwise qualifies. If for some reason (It would be unrelated to you.) her green card (Status Adustment) is denied, then you just file again with her as your wife. She's here legally.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.