Bfloyd

K1 Fiance Visa questions

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone I posted here a few months back. I'm looking into the k1 visa for my fiance and I. She lives in the Philippines. After getting a raise, my gross income is a little above $17000. This wouldn't really show on my last W2 though. My current pay stubs would indicate the new wages however.  I'm working around 30 hours a week while in graduate school. My income will rise after I graduate and require a new job. I would like to go ahead and start the visa process though. I have around $10k asses in my bank. I've already met my fiance and have pictures etc. My mother said she wouldn't mind co-sponsoring if I needed her to as well. 

My question is, do you think the k1 visa would be viable for me and my fiance. My income is a little low but my assets make up for it I think.  I would prefer the k1 visa as I don't have much free time to travel abroad due to school. Any advice is appreciated. I just want to give me and my fiance the best chance to be married and live together.

Also can someone give a good resource as to where to start if you think I would have a legit shot of achieving the k1 fiance visa? Is the total k1 visa process around 3k? Thanks for your help. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and anxious about the entire thing.  

With a parent co-sponsor for the K-1 (and then as a joint sponsor for AOS later if needed) - who earns enough to be a sponsor on her own - you would probably be fine with Manila.

Your $10k in assets is only worth about $3,334 in income (using the 3:1 ratio for a spouse of a USC). Even if combined with your income, it would not be enough to meet even the minimum for consideration for the I-864 for AOS...let alone the actual public charge consideration. It may or may not satisfy the CO for the K-1 visa. So unless your income grows by the time of doing AOS, you'll need a joint sponsor. AOS should be filed within 90 days of entry on the K-1 visa, after marrying.

If you're asking specifically about fees, roughly $3k is in the ballpark. That includes $535 for the I-129F + ~$340 for the medical + ~$100 for various documents and translations (and CFO) + ~$700-1200 for the plane ticket to the US + $1225 for AOS later.

However, the actual costs are often much more than fees - visits, a wedding, living expenses, etc. add up quickly. YMMV. They can't work for at least several months after entry and it's one more mouth to feed, you may need new clothing, etc.

In my case, we live in PA so my filipina wife needed new outfits for the fall and winter. She needed a car to drive to get to work (once she got her EAD). She needed a new cell phone plan. Since she was stuck home for several months, we got her PH TV channels to watch. Unless the plan is to live with your parents, there may be a cost of a new living space. All these living expenses add up extremely quickly. The fees themselves only make up a small portion of the actual immigration costs.

Start with the guide:

Read the instructions for every form. Become an A student of them. Ask questions.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Thanks for taking the time to reply geowrian. I'm not sure my mother makes that much since my step father makes the most money of their household. Her last W2 might have enough on it though, she recently stepped down from a lot of her work.  However, my step father makes over 100k+ a year. Would he be a acceptable Co-Sponsor even though we are not blood-related?  Looking at the Assembling the I-129F Package, is this the part where the co-sponsor Affidavit of Support form (I-134) would be included. I'm assuming it would be smart to include that in the original package since my income is around/below the minimum for best consideration. 

1 hour ago, Bfloyd said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply geowrian. I'm not sure my mother makes that much since my step father makes the most money of their household. Her last W2 might have enough on it though, she recently stepped down from a lot of her work.  However, my step father makes over 100k+ a year. Would he be a acceptable Co-Sponsor even though we are not blood-related?  Looking at the Assembling the I-129F Package, is this the part where the co-sponsor Affidavit of Support form (I-134) would be included. I'm assuming it would be smart to include that in the original package since my income is around/below the minimum for best consideration. 

@geowrian

Those additional  expenses were spot on much much more than the quoted 3k of the OP, needless to say those expenses and the payment of are those of a responsible  partner which we embrace freely. Just wanted to mention you are absolutely correct...why the PH channel alone ran my bill up in excess of 200 dollars 😉

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, Bfloyd said:

Hey everyone I posted here a few months back. I'm looking into the k1 visa for my fiance and I. She lives in the Philippines. After getting a raise, my gross income is a little above $17000. This wouldn't really show on my last W2 though. My current pay stubs would indicate the new wages however.  I'm working around 30 hours a week while in graduate school. My income will rise after I graduate and require a new job. I would like to go ahead and start the visa process though. I have around $10k asses in my bank. I've already met my fiance and have pictures etc. My mother said she wouldn't mind co-sponsoring if I needed her to as well. 

My question is, do you think the k1 visa would be viable for me and my fiance. My income is a little low but my assets make up for it I think.  I would prefer the k1 visa as I don't have much free time to travel abroad due to school. Any advice is appreciated. I just want to give me and my fiance the best chance to be married and live together.

Also can someone give a good resource as to where to start if you think I would have a legit shot of achieving the k1 fiance visa? Is the total k1 visa process around 3k? Thanks for your help. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and anxious about the entire thing.  

NO REASON to include the I-134 and financial evidence with the I-129F  (include only what is required)       This will be for the embassy phase:  >>   Your step-father should be acceptable as well.  He would list your mom and your fiancee.    You would also complete the I-134, most recent tax return & W-2 as well.

Gross income must meet or exceed the I-864P poverty guidelines  https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Here is a guide for the I-129F with a little more detail towards the Philippines.   https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/uscis-petition-process.html   There are also additional guides for the complete process once you reach that stage.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Bfloyd said:

Looking at the Assembling the I-129F Package, is this the part where the co-sponsor Affidavit of Support form (I-134) would be included. I'm assuming it would be smart to include that in the original package since my income is around/below the minimum for best consideration. 

Assuming incorrectly.   The consulate makes the decision not the uscis 

YMMV

9 hours ago, Bfloyd said:

The I-134 is presented by the beneficiary at the interview. It is not included with the I-129F or any other part of the process.

Your stepfather would likely be an acceptable co-sponsor, which sounds like a better option than the mother here.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, thanks again for all the valuable information. I've been reading around and have a few more questions. My 1-129f has been approved and my case has been sent to the NVC. I'm still waiting for that to be approved.

My question is now back to the 1-134 form. My annual income is around 18000 now. My work and paystubs will show this but not my last W2 nor the previous 3 IRS forms due to my recent raise.  I have around $16000 in my savings account now. I read online that you can use assets in a 5:1 ratio which would give me around $3200 dollars that I believe I can add to my annual income. If all of this is correct, My annual income would be $21200 which is above the 100% 2 household income in 2020 of $17240 and very close to the the I-864P 125% income requirement of 21,550. I should be able to save a little more and hit the 125%.   

(I found on USCIS.GOV website that "Applicants presenting Form I-134 will need to show that their U.S. sponsor's income is 100 percent of the federal poverty guideline.")

If all of this is correct, I would not have a need for a cosponsor. I would also let the CO know that I'm close to graduating from graduate school  (provide my GPA, enrollment status etc) as some information on why my income is on the lower end( school full-time and required internship results in lower work time).  Does all of this sound reasonable to you guys or do you still believe I should seek a co-sponsor for the I-134. 

Edited by Bfloyd

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If Manila reviews the financial information, it's all about current income.  They are not concerned about what might be in the future 

YMMV

5 hours ago, payxibka said:

If Manila reviews the financial information, it's all about current income.  They are not concerned about what might be in the future 

Darn.  I was hoping they would believe that I'm going to win the lottery this year!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

9 hours ago, payxibka said:

that's good to know, thanks. So based off what I said, do you believe I would be fine without a cosponsor based off my income/savings account?

3 hours ago, Bfloyd said:

that's good to know, thanks. So based off what I said, do you believe I would be fine without a cosponsor based off my income/savings account?

You will know better when it is time to send the I-134 to her for the consulate.   Yes you might need a co sponsor at that time.

You need to get your income up for supporting her when she gets her and for filing the I-864 at AOS time.  And based on the current situation you will need a joint sponsor.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.