Michaelelenita

Divorced in US do i need a CENOMAR stating im divorced for K1 visa for interview

15 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, user555 said:

The CENOMAR only searches marriages in the PH. If you were not married in the PH, your name will come back with 0 marriages in the PH.

First of all lot of thanks

here is the situation, my fiancee got married in the philippines and got divorced in US, so my question now is does she need any other document beside her divorce decree? And regarding the CENOMAR i know it will say married still but would that make a difference or is it okay just to bring it with her on her interview

thank you

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Michaelelenita said:

Need advice, any other proof of divorce needed for US consulate interview in Philippines

You are the petitioner or beneficiary?     For the beneficiary a CENOMAR is required as noted in the documents checklist on the embassy website.   For the petitioner, a CENOMAR is only required if born in the Philippines and lived in the Philippines after the age of 18.

For the beneficiary a copy of the divorce decree is also required.

Here is a link to the process for the Philippines, within this guide is a link to the embassy website and checklist, the required documents checklist is in the 5th step.

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

 CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE (if applicable). Applicants who are single and have never been married (18 years and older) are required to obtain a CENOMAR from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). The request for a CENOMAR is a standard measure adopted in Manila to ensure that a visa applicant does not have any concealed, unterminated prior marriage to anyone, which would eliminate his / her claim to the single status of the visa category sought. To request a CENOMAR be directly submitted to the US Embassy (recommended), you may do so here: https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Secure/Terms.aspx

 A CENOMAR is also required for a petitioner who was born in the Philippines and lived in the country for at least one (1) year upon reaching the age of 18.

 PROOF OF TERMINATION OF MARRIAGE (if applicable). Annulment decree, death certificate issued by the PSA, a foreign divorce decree or foreign death certificate.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

You are the petitioner or beneficiary?     For the beneficiary a CENOMAR is required as noted in the documents checklist on the embassy website.   For the petitioner, a CENOMAR is only required if born in the Philippines and lived in the Philippines after the age of 18.

For the beneficiary a copy of the divorce decree is also required.

Here is a link to the process for the Philippines, within this guide is a link to the embassy website and checklist, the required documents checklist is in the 5th step.

 CERTIFICATE OF NO MARRIAGE (if applicable). Applicants who are single and have never been married (18 years and older) are required to obtain a CENOMAR from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). The request for a CENOMAR is a standard measure adopted in Manila to ensure that a visa applicant does not have any concealed, unterminated prior marriage to anyone, which would eliminate his / her claim to the single status of the visa category sought. To request a CENOMAR be directly submitted to the US Embassy (recommended), you may do so here: https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Secure/Terms.aspx

 A CENOMAR is also required for a petitioner who was born in the Philippines and lived in the country for at least one (1) year upon reaching the age of 18.

 PROOF OF TERMINATION OF MARRIAGE (if applicable). Annulment decree, death certificate issued by the PSA, a foreign divorce decree or foreign death certificate.

I am the petitioner. She had her foreign divorce decree, my concern is that her CeNOMAR will show that she is still married though

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Michaelelenita said:

I am the petitioner. She had her foreign divorce decree, my concern is that her CeNOMAR will show that she is still married though

Normally I would say that is a non-issue as she also has her divorce decree showing she is free to marry .. ANYWHERE except in the Philippines that is ..    Normally.   In this last year there has been a CO at the embassy that seems to believe that because there is a divorce decree that the Recognition of Divorce needs to be completed also .. which is not true, but this CO persists.    So if she doesn't get that CO it is a non-issue.    Best I can figure this CO is new and is "adjusting the rules"

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Michaelelenita said:

Should i just let her have her interview and see what happens next?what is your best advice?

thank you

I would .

There have been two or three that came through here this year, I should have bookmarked the topics as the solution that one found was not a full blown Recognition of Divorce through the RTC ..    

Still it would be nice if those at the embassy would review these new COs to make sure they are "being stupid" like that one.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 11/22/2019 at 12:18 AM, Michaelelenita said:

First of all lot of thanks

here is the situation, my fiancee got married in the philippines and got divorced in US, so my question now is does she need any other document beside her divorce decree? And regarding the CENOMAR i know it will say married still but would that make a difference or is it okay just to bring it with her on her interview

thank you

There are pieces left out of this equation. Was she married in the Philippines to another Filipino, was she married to a USC? Did the USC divorce  her in the US? All this matters as to the outcome. Just looking at it, I suspect it's  going to be a big hassle. True her CENOMAR / CEMAR is going to show married. Be prepared  to register  her divorce in the Philippines  at a minimum. I know that is not what you want to hear.

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline
13 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

There are pieces left out of this equation. Was she married in the Philippines to another Filipino, was she married to a USC? Did the USC divorce  her in the US? All this matters as to the outcome. Just looking at it, I suspect it's  going to be a big hassle. True her CENOMAR / CEMAR is going to show married. Be prepared  to register  her divorce in the Philippines  at a minimum. I know that is not what you want to hear.

Actually no it doesn't, not for the embassy.     Except for maybe registering the divorce (and that depends if they get this "odd" CO).

You are mixing Philippines requirements in with embassy requirements.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/23/2019 at 1:01 AM, Hank_ said:

I would .

There have been two or three that came through here this year, I should have bookmarked the topics as the solution that one found was not a full blown Recognition of Divorce through the RTC ..    

Still it would be nice if those at the embassy would review these new COs to make sure they are "being stupid" like that one.

Hi,

I am in the same boat. I have been married in the Philippines and got divorced in the UK. I am now in the Phil and have applied for K1 just recently. It took quite a while bcz I thought USEM would require my foreign divorce to be recognized in the Phil before I am free to remarry  again. Thank you to VisaJourney, had I not read the posts on here we would not have the courage to apply for a K1 visa.

But after reading about this new CO, I am now worried as my Cenomar would definitely say I am still married. My case for Foreign Divorce Recognition is still on going, it is costly and lengthy. 

Timeline

Provide a copy of your divorce decree for the interview.

Thing is the requirements clearly state a copy of the divorce decree is all that is required in this situation.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/the-interview/

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.