Ela G.

Any Spanish/American couples?

55 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
7 hours ago, TenderHearted said:

OK, you'll see an e-mail from me sometime early in the week then. Take care!

Are you both from TN originally?? I'm super curious because this is one state (aside from NC) that we are considering to move to once settled in the states. I'd love to get some feedback about living there! I'm living over in Spain with my fiance so it's not as brutal the wait for us (though I am ready to get back home and near family)...  

4 hours ago, NB5347 said:

Are you both from TN originally?? I'm super curious because this is one state (aside from NC) that we are considering to move to once settled in the states. I'd love to get some feedback about living there! I'm living over in Spain with my fiance so it's not as brutal the wait for us (though I am ready to get back home and near family)...  

I am from Madrid and my husband is from Indiana but he lived in KY for 25 years . Nashville is a vibrant middle size city, fun and full of music. Southerners are warm and smiling but still pretty conservative in many ways. The city is starting to change culinarily and its intereesting to see. We have an small airport with only one international flight to London but well communicated nationally, specially Soutwest flights. Nature is beautiful, weather is a little bit crazy but not extreme. Houses price is reasonable. We can drive to the beach in 8 h, to Atlanta in 4, to Chicago in 6 h. As an spanish, i miss fish and more mediterranean food but over all is a good place to live. And we dont have state taxes. I hope it helps 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Maria66 said:

I am from Madrid and my husband is from Indiana but he lived in KY for 25 years . Nashville is a vibrant middle size city, fun and full of music. Southerners are warm and smiling but still pretty conservative in many ways. The city is starting to change culinarily and its intereesting to see. We have an small airport with only one international flight to London but well communicated nationally, specially Soutwest flights. Nature is beautiful, weather is a little bit crazy but not extreme. Houses price is reasonable. We can drive to the beach in 8 h, to Atlanta in 4, to Chicago in 6 h. As an spanish, i miss fish and more mediterranean food but over all is a good place to live. And we dont have state taxes. I hope it helps 

Helps a whole, whole lot!!! Thank you!!! I'm from Texas but have family in Nashville so I was definitely wondering how it had changed, if at all. I haven't been there in about 10+ years. I forget about the lack of fish, only recall, mostly catfish, in Texas but hoping there are places to fish ourselves with some sort of variety. I like TN for being the same as Texas in that it's a tax free state but know that flips over to higher property taxes. TN/NC are so so much more green than TX is and there's both mountain and ocean nearby! We will definitely be checking out that area!! Thanks for all the info!

50 minutes ago, NB5347 said:

Helps a whole, whole lot!!! Thank you!!! I'm from Texas but have family in Nashville so I was definitely wondering how it had changed, if at all. I haven't been there in about 10+ years. I forget about the lack of fish, only recall, mostly catfish, in Texas but hoping there are places to fish ourselves with some sort of variety. I like TN for being the same as Texas in that it's a tax free state but know that flips over to higher property taxes. TN/NC are so so much more green than TX is and there's both mountain and ocean nearby! We will definitely be checking out that area!! Thanks for all the info!

A trip to Nashville will help. There are not many spanish here but there are some and we meet regularly . Most of us are women married to americans . Nice group of ladies 😄

Compared to NY we dont pay almost property taxes lol .

Where i live there is a lake and certainly people fish. 

I only arrived one year ago and i know how important is for us, spanish, having someone to talk to, to ask and to share a paella or a tortilla. Also to complain about the lack of fresh fish lol. So tell ur wife that she will find some soul comfort here 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Maria66 said:

A trip to Nashville will help. There are not many spanish here but there are some and we meet regularly . Most of us are women married to americans . Nice group of ladies 😄

Compared to NY we dont pay almost property taxes lol .

Where i live there is a lake and certainly people fish. 

I only arrived one year ago and i know how important is for us, spanish, having someone to talk to, to ask and to share a paella or a tortilla. Also to complain about the lack of fresh fish lol. So tell ur wife that she will find some soul comfort here 

Actually, I'm the American (girl) and my boyfriend is the "European." He's Romanian but has lived in Spain the majority of his life and I've been here in Madrid for four years! Regardless, if we do end up there, I'd love to meet up! I'm definitely going to miss my Spanish girlfriends here!

Timeline
7 hours ago, NB5347 said:

I'm not from TN originally, but I've been here the majority of my life (since I was 15; now I'm 48). I can't speak for Nashville, but as far as I know, if there are any Spaniards here, they are hush hush. Knoxville and the surrounding area is about a third the size of Nashville, with plenty of access to more rural areas. It has become more metropolitan over time, but it has a long way to catch up to Nashville. That is both good and bad, and of course that depends how you define it. If you like nightlife, maybe this is not the best place to be, but if you like the outdoors, probably one of the best places to be this side of the Mississippi river. This whole area I deem the "Cherokee playground" (Before anyone takes offense, know that I am 1/4 blooded Cherokee). The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is very close. Asheville is not far away either, about an hour on the Interstate.

Thankfully, Knoxville has become somewhat of a melting pot over the last few years. There is a lot more diversity from different countries here now, and courtesy of UT. I personally don't like The City of Knoxville, but you might (Funny since I've lived here since 1998). However, I love East TN. You should come and check it out.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, TenderHearted said:

I'm not from TN originally, but I've been here the majority of my life (since I was 15; now I'm 48). I can't speak for Nashville, but as far as I know, if there are any Spaniards here, they are hush hush. Knoxville and the surrounding area is about a third the size of Nashville, with plenty of access to more rural areas. It has become more metropolitan over time, but it has a long way to catch up to Nashville. That is both good and bad, and of course that depends how you define it. If you like nightlife, maybe this is not the best place to be, but if you like the outdoors, probably one of the best places to be this side of the Mississippi river. This whole area I deem the "Cherokee playground" (Before anyone takes offense, know that I am 1/4 blooded Cherokee). The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is very close. Asheville is not far away either, about an hour on the Interstate.

Thankfully, Knoxville has become somewhat of a melting pot over the last few years. There is a lot more diversity from different countries here now, and courtesy of UT. I personally don't like The City of Knoxville, but you might (Funny since I've lived here since 1998). However, I love East TN. You should come and check it out.

This is amazing!! Thank you so much! We are big on outdoors and had not thought of this area... so we are definitely going to have to look it up and check out that area!! We had heard of Asheville and were going to check out that and Charlotte, NC area. We prefer quieter and outside of a city... we have had enough of city life now.

Do you happen to have kids? I'm wondering if it's a good area to raise a family.

1 hour ago, NB5347 said:

Actually, I'm the American (girl) and my boyfriend is the "European." He's Romanian but has lived in Spain the majority of his life and I've been here in Madrid for four years! Regardless, if we do end up there, I'd love to meet up! I'm definitely going to miss my Spanish girlfriends here!

Oohh ok lol. We ll here we are if you need us! I am 54 and the rest are 40 to 47 . 

57 minutes ago, TenderHearted said:

I didnt visit Knoxville yet but i have heard nice things about it. And veeery good things about Ashville and in general the Carolinas. Charleston is on my list of places to visit as soon as i can. 

Timeline
47 minutes ago, NB5347 said:

This is amazing!! Thank you so much! We are big on outdoors and had not thought of this area... so we are definitely going to have to look it up and check out that area!! We had heard of Asheville and were going to check out that and Charlotte, NC area. We prefer quieter and outside of a city... we have had enough of city life now.

Do you happen to have kids? I'm wondering if it's a good area to raise a family.

Overall, it's a good place to raise a family. The schools are good, at least here in Knox County, and there's not much crime to speak of, although there has been an uptick as of late in certain areas around here. Cost of living isn't nearly as bad as it is in Asheville from what I've heard (I don't know anything about that as regards Nashville, but let's assume more because it is Nashville). The entire state of Tennessee has a lot going for it, much more than in other places, but especially East TN, just because of the mountains. This is just my opinion. But, you couldn't pay me enough to move back to where I'm from originally (Montgomery County, Ohio).

11 minutes ago, TenderHearted said:

Overall, it's a good place to raise a family. The schools are good, at least here in Knox County, and there's not much crime to speak of, although there has been an uptick as of late in certain areas around here. Cost of living isn't nearly as bad as it is in Asheville from what I've heard (I don't know anything about that as regards Nashville, but let's assume more because it is Nashville). The entire state of Tennessee has a lot going for it, much more than in other places, but especially East TN, just because of the mountains. This is just my opinion. But, you couldn't pay me enough to move back to where I'm from originally (Montgomery County, Ohio).

I live in Hendersonville, 15 mins away from Nashville. Lake, community, we leave door open, great place to raise kids . Very good schools , public and private 

Hola, hola! What a great thing to find people from or moving to TN! I'm Spaniard, starting all this visa process with my fiancé who is from east TN, and I'll move there with him once this is all over. I can't wait! By the way, @Tender Hearted, is Madrid filing CR1s at the moment? I'm so confused because I know they aren't processing K1s... I now live in Canada, and I'm wondering whether to start it all of from here or Spain (Spain is my choice of preference bc I'll be closer to family while waiting), Thanks !

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Sabela said:

Hola, hola! What a great thing to find people from or moving to TN! I'm Spaniard, starting all this visa process with my fiancé who is from east TN, and I'll move there with him once this is all over. I can't wait! By the way, @Tender Hearted, is Madrid filing CR1s at the moment? I'm so confused because I know they aren't processing K1s... I now live in Canada, and I'm wondering whether to start it all of from here or Spain (Spain is my choice of preference bc I'll be closer to family while waiting), Thanks !

Hola!

I'm not sure about CR-1's at the moment, but I think they are. CR-1's are considered, at least from my understanding, "mission critical visas", that they must process. This is the best of what I understand anyway. I am getting the final part of the package for our CR-1 petition ready to send right now, and I'm hoping this weekend to have it done and send to the lockbox.

As regards where you are, it doesn't matter too much, as your fiance going to have to start the ball rolling on that petition. To start it, is not very hard, but there is a fair amount of information you need to get filled in correctly. Then, it's a waiting game, as it has to get processed and approved by USCIS, and then to NVC, and then it goes to the US embassy in Madrid. It's a long process on whichever petition you file for, as COVID has messed a lot of stuff up, and there is a huge backlog right now. Unless there is some kind of presidential order getting things really moving, it's going to take a little of time to fix that backlog. Get your paperwork in as soon as you can.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.