Mrs Ryan Carreras

USPS and Arriving on K1

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think I maybe asking a stupid question here but can not find the answer. 

My fiancé arrived here on K1 a week and a few days ago. 

I am get a bit confused on what we do first, second, etc. 

1. We have applied for social number and than followed up on it at our local office - issued and will be at our home in the next few weeks. 

2. They let me add him to my new lease on my townhouse without ss number as I’ve been a resident here for quite sometime. 

3.  I’ve added him as beneficiary on life insurance and authorized user on credit cards or anything not requiring a ss number at this point.  

4. Married this Friday Nov 8th and get marriage certificate the same day. 

5. To add him to my utility, bank account, and for BMV my state requires his ss number. 

My question - 

I want to ensure we get all of his mail.
Do we need to go to USPS for his change of address. ? 
We tried to do one online and to fill it out but it requires a previous address here in the US. 
I do not want any mail being sent back because his official address is still in “UK” or does his address change in the US once he arrived on K1 ? 
I know govt docs being sent via mail are picky and unless USPS has an updated address than mail will sometimes get sent back to them. 

Thanks in advance 

Sarah 

Timeline
Just now, Nitas_man said:

His address is the address he confirmed at POE.  No mail will go to his overseas address.

Sweet. I had no idea. Thank You. 

*~*~*moved from “K-1 fiancé visa process and procedures” to “moving to the US” where similar topics are often discussed*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

What mail are we taking about? If he is expecting to receive mail from people, organizations or companies in the UK (student loan company, HMRC, DWP, etc) then he needs to physically update his address with those people or arrange for international mail forwarding through Royal Mail (very expensive, btw). Giving an address at POE won’t notify people back in the UK of his new address. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

There's no address to change from - USPS has no say over UK addresses. He establishes his US address just by living there and using it.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 minute ago, JFH said:

If he is expecting to receive mail from people, organizations or companies in the UK

Yes, he does have a few places in the U.K. as well that he will need to receive mail from. 
I will make sure he contacts them as well to do a change of address individually on any of the above. 
thank you. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

There's no address to change from - USPS has no say over UK addresses. He establishes his US address just by living there and using it.

So pretty much all the documents we are doing right now that have his new address will come to our house and no need to make an additional  trip to USPS for any new companies, organizations, etc.  were we are filling out his new address anyway. 
Makes sense.  
Thank You 

Now, your next step is to complete your AOS. Use the guides here on VJ for help in completing the necessary forms. You may need to begin changing your name if you indeed took his last name.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
1 minute ago, Greenbaum said:

Now, your next step is to complete your AOS. Use the guides here on VJ for help in completing the necessary forms. You may need to begin changing your name if you indeed took his last name.

Yes, we will be married November 8th and get the certificate the same day.  
We have started on AOS Paperwork and have been using the forums here. 
That is why I have been on so much lately.
We are buried in AOS paperwork. 
Im hoping after the wedding I can run down to the SS office and change it legally the same day?  
Ive never been married so I don’t know the correct place to do the name change. 
I think it’s the SS office though. 
Our goal is to submit AOS by month end. 
Thanks @Greenbaum

43 minutes ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

Yes, we will be married November 8th and get the certificate the same day.  
We have started on AOS Paperwork and have been using the forums here. 
That is why I have been on so much lately.
We are buried in AOS paperwork. 
Im hoping after the wedding I can run down to the SS office and change it legally the same day?  
Ive never been married so I don’t know the correct place to do the name change. 
I think it’s the SS office though. 
Our goal is to submit AOS by month end. 
Thanks @Greenbaum

You change your name at the wedding with the marriage certificate filing. Once you have done that have the marriage certificate with your new legal name you can head over to SS and change your card with your new name.

As far as the AOS paper work it's easier if you do one at a time. So start with the Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status. Then move onto the Application for Work Permit (Form I-765) and then finally apply for Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. If you do all three there is no charge for the other two, just have to pay for the I-485. 

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

One thing....usps has informed delivery, anyone can sign for it, we did it, anything that is supposed to go to your mail, you can see it. We add me to my husband mail box even it might not matter as they put it in based on place, not name but the informed delivery tells you in advance if something is supposed to arrived. If they put it in wrong mail box, you can tell them.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Eva_AJ said:

One thing....usps has informed delivery, anyone can sign for it, we did it, anything that is supposed to go to your mail, you can see it. We add me to my husband mail box even it might not matter as they put it in based on place, not name but the informed delivery tells you in advance if something is supposed to arrived. If they put it in wrong mail box, you can tell them.

Thank You. Yes, I do have informed delivery for myself. I have had it for awhile so I can’t remember if it’s per mailbox or per name. I believe it’s for the whole address which would include any mail that came here ? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

Its for the whole address and mail box. Even if I made it for myself, I can see the mail going for my husband as well (and for my maiden and married name as well). Its a good tool to keep an eye on coming mail and USPS as well.

25 minutes ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

Thank You. Yes, I do have informed delivery for myself. I have had it for awhile so I can’t remember if it’s per mailbox or per name. I believe it’s for the whole address which would include any mail that came here ? 

It applies to the entire address (specifically one's zip5 + zip4 + dpv). Only the mail courier looks at the name part of things.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.