DGF

Flagged at the border, now trying to decide if I should extend my trip

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I’m sorry if this is in the wrong place!

For the past year and a half I have been traveling to the US to visit my husband every other weekend or so and staying for 4 nights each time. We are about 6 months out from my interview (CR1) but that is assuming everything goes smoothly and existing backlogs don’t get worse. 

On Thursday I made my usual trip to cross the border. When I got to customs, they knew who I was and said that they were expecting me. It turns out that I have been flagged for frequent travel. The guy warned me that now that I have been flagged the chances of me being denied entry are very high. He said that visiting your spouse isn’t allowed while there is a pending visa, and that if I were denied entry we’d have to start the process from the beginning (I know neither of these are true). He spent a while questioning me and looking at my NOA1 and NOA2, before showing them to his coworker who told him to let me through, which he did. 

I am now trying to decide if I should extend my trip until either my interview or I get close to 6 months, whichever comes first. However there are three things that I’m wary about that are preventing me from making a decision:

1. If I extend my trip I will be considered a resident for tax purposes under the substantial presence rule. This means I will have to file taxes, possibly before my interview. Will this be a problem either for our application or at my interview? Also, since I don’t have any income, could filing US taxes cause any problems under the new public charge rules? I hope that my husbands income and the fact that I intend on working once I get my green card will be enough to prove otherwise. Lastly, will filing US taxes cause any issues when I file my final Canadian taxes once I have my green card?

2. Since I crossed using my NEXUS, I don’t have a stamp in my passport saying when I was admitted until. I checked my i94 online, but since I cross by land the last one I was issued was from the last time crossed via air and expired in June. When I use the site to check my compliance it says I am not eligible to check online. The guy at the border didn’t say anything about giving me a shortened admittance, but is it possible that he did and didn’t tell me? Is there any way I can check my compliance other than online, perhaps by calling CBP?

3. We are planning to submit our DS-260 this week. Is it possible to do so while I am in the US? If so, would I include this trip under the section about previous US travel and what would I put as the duration of stay since it is unknown?

If I knew that I had a good chance of being able to cross again, especially with the holidays coming up and wanting to spend them with my husband, I would absolutely go back because it’s pretty jarring to have a 5 day trip unexpectedly turn into a ~6 month one. The problem is my ties to Canada are weak (my job is a remote unpaid internship and I live with my parents) so I’m leaning towards extending. I just want to be sure that extending won’t jeopardize our application because it’s absolutely not worth it if it will. Any thoughts?

Edited by DGF

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

What they told you is wrong, as you are aware. smh...

If you are visiting for 4 days every week, you would already be hitting the substantial presence test for tax purposes.

Spending more time in the US than abroad is a sure fire way to draw attention that you are using your visiting privileges to live in the US. That is not permitted, as you are now finding out.

1) The new public charge rule is suspended right now due to an injunction (the old rules still apply, obviously). Filing of US taxes is an IRS issue - it won't impact your visa application. I can't speak to Canada's tax laws, although I would note that if you are spending 4 days a week outside Canada then you may or may not meet their residency requirements (for both taxes and/or provincial health care coverage).

2) The I-94 online is supposed to cover your trip, but it's not uncommon for it to be wrong when traveling by land still. There is also the possibility that an I-94 wasn't issued, in which case a Canadian is considered Duration of Status (D/S) which has no limit. But I wouldn't rely on that...if you can, go to a deferred inspection site and find out or have them correct it. I would prefer to know than assume personally.

3) Yes. You would include your current trip. I am unsure of what to put for the duration, sorry I will defer to others.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
50 minutes ago, geowrian said:

What they told you is wrong, as you are aware. smh...

If you are visiting for 4 days every week, you would already be hitting the substantial presence test for tax purposes.

Spending more time in the US than abroad is a sure fire way to draw attention that you are using your visiting privileges to live in the US. That is not permitted, as you are now finding out.

1) The new public charge rule is suspended right now due to an injunction (the old rules still apply, obviously). Filing of US taxes is an IRS issue - it won't impact your visa application. I can't speak to Canada's tax laws, although I would note that if you are spending 4 days a week outside Canada then you may or may not meet their residency requirements (for both taxes and/or provincial health care coverage).

2) The I-94 online is supposed to cover your trip, but it's not uncommon for it to be wrong when traveling by land still. There is also the possibility that an I-94 wasn't issued, in which case a Canadian is considered Duration of Status (D/S) which has no limit. But I wouldn't rely on that...if you can, go to a deferred inspection site and find out or have them correct it. I would prefer to know than assume personally.

3) Yes. You would include your current trip. I am unsure of what to put for the duration, sorry I will defer to others.

I visit every other week, so generally I spend 10 days in Canada and 5 days in the US, not including holidays and times when my husband has come to visit me. If my tracking is correct, I will only be 15 days past the 183 days of the substantial presence test if I do decide to extend, not that that matters since over is still over. Although frequent, I have always treated my visits as visits and would never abuse my visiting privileges by using them to live in the US :) 

1) I'm not too familiar with injunctions, would it be reasonable to expect that it will take so long to resolve that the rule will still be suspended in 6 months or so or should I expect that this will be resolved by that time? Also, I have double checked that I will still meet Canadian residency requirements (especially for health care) and I will even if I do extend my trip. I would go home if I didn't! 

2) I think this is my biggest concern of them all because you're right, I would prefer to know than to assume. After the scrutiny I was under I figure I wouldn't have been admitted if the expired I-94 was an issue, but I do want to be sure before I make my decision. I have never heard of deferred inspection sites but there is one sort of nearby so I will give them a call on Monday and see if they are able to help, thank you!

3) That's what I thought. I guess I could put the full 6 months and then give the correct duration at my interview. It's probably better to over estimate than to under estimate.

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

41 minutes ago, DGF said:

I visit every other week, so generally I spend 10 days in Canada and 5 days in the US, not including holidays and times when my husband has come to visit me. If my tracking is correct, I will only be 15 days past the 183 days of the substantial presence test if I do decide to extend, not that that matters since over is still over. Although frequent, I have always treated my visits as visits and would never abuse my visiting privileges by using them to live in the US :) 

1) I'm not too familiar with injunctions, would it be reasonable to expect that it will take so long to resolve that the rule will still be suspended in 6 months or so or should I expect that this will be resolved by that time? Also, I have double checked that I will still meet Canadian residency requirements (especially for health care) and I will even if I do extend my trip. I would go home if I didn't! 

2) I think this is my biggest concern of them all because you're right, I would prefer to know than to assume. After the scrutiny I was under I figure I wouldn't have been admitted if the expired I-94 was an issue, but I do want to be sure before I make my decision. I have never heard of deferred inspection sites but there is one sort of nearby so I will give them a call on Monday and see if they are able to help, thank you!

3) That's what I thought. I guess I could put the full 6 months and then give the correct duration at my interview. It's probably better to over estimate than to under estimate.

Gotcha. Every other week so it wasn't a matter of staying too much within the US.

1) It's impossible to say if or when a new ruling will occur. The court system generally moves slowly and there doesn't appear to be a rush to push an expedite at this time. I would be surprised if this changed by end of year, but it's not impossible. Six months? Probably a ruling IMO but no idea which way that would go.

Yeah, no issue if the visit is every other week.

2) Awesome. Please update the thread with how it goes.

Best wishes!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 10/26/2019 at 12:56 PM, DGF said:

Something to keep in mind, perhaps, as my spouse and I are also playing this balancing act game...

Substantial presence test accounts for percentages of the past 2 years' time in the US as well as current year (.33 last year, and .16 of 2 years ago). I've already decided 2019 is a married-filing-jointly tax year for us, treating my spouse as a resident alien regardless of the numbers.

Be more wary of overshooting the 180 calendar days within the year which are allowed for CAN in US.

And when you have a mix of air and land border crossings, some of which may eclipse the calendar year, CBP employees may cite other inaccurate information at the border 😕 We actually filed a TRIP related to CBP and bad math on their part.   

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
On 10/26/2019 at 11:02 AM, DGF said:

For the past year and a half I have been traveling to the US to visit my husband every other weekend or so and staying for 4 nights each time. We are about 6 months out from my interview (CR1) but that is assuming everything goes smoothly and existing backlogs don’t get worse. 

On Thursday I made my usual trip to cross the border. When I got to customs, they knew who I was and said that they were expecting me. It turns out that I have been flagged for frequent travel. The guy warned me that now that I have been flagged the chances of me being denied entry are very high. He said that visiting your spouse isn’t allowed while there is a pending visa, and that if I were denied entry we’d have to start the process from the beginning (I know neither of these are true). He spent a while questioning me and looking at my NOA1 and NOA2, before showing them to his coworker who told him to let me through, which he did. 

If I knew that I had a good chance of being able to cross again, especially with the holidays coming up and wanting to spend them with my husband, I would absolutely go back because it’s pretty jarring to have a 5 day trip unexpectedly turn into a ~6 month one. The problem is my ties to Canada are weak (my job is a remote unpaid internship and I live with my parents) so I’m leaning towards extending. I just want to be sure that extending won’t jeopardize our application because it’s absolutely not worth it if it will. Any thoughts?

addendum:

CBP absolutely absolutely is not interested in B1/B2 visitors coming into the US and then adjusting status.

One of my spouse's visits was footnoted in the passport by CBP: "no EoS, no AoS." 

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Hawk Riders said:

Something to keep in mind, perhaps, as my spouse and I are also playing this balancing act game...

Substantial presence test accounts for percentages of the past 2 years' time in the US as well as current year (.33 last year, and .16 of 2 years ago). I've already decided 2019 is a married-filing-jointly tax year for us, treating my spouse as a resident alien regardless of the numbers.

Be more wary of overshooting the 180 calendar days within the year which are allowed for CAN in US.

And when you have a mix of air and land border crossings, some of which may eclipse the calendar year, CBP employees may cite other inaccurate information at the border 😕 We actually filed a TRIP related to CBP and bad math on their part.   

It's the previous years that are pushing me over the line in this case, I'd be fine if I was only counting this year! As for the 180 days in a year, I was under the impression that it was 180 days per trip (of course with the stipulation that if you tried to do two 6 month trips in a row they'd absolutely be suspicious and likely deny you). I've heard of it being interpreted both ways so I should probably confirm which one is correct! Also, what is a TRIP? I've never heard of that. 

11 minutes ago, Hawk Riders said:

addendum:

CBP absolutely absolutely is not interested in B1/B2 visitors coming into the US and then adjusting status.

One of my spouse's visits was footnoted in the passport by CBP: "no EoS, no AoS." 

Adjusting status is 100% not an option for us, we're so close to the finish line that it would be pointless. Plus my husband is a dual citizen so our plan b is for him to move to Canada (not as ideal due to his job and most of our combined family being in the US, but at least we'll be together).

Good luck with the balancing act! 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Timeline
21 minutes ago, DGF said:

It's the previous years that are pushing me over the line in this case, I'd be fine if I was only counting this year! As for the 180 days in a year, I was under the impression that it was 180 days per trip (of course with the stipulation that if you tried to do two 6 month trips in a row they'd absolutely be suspicious and likely deny you). I've heard of it being interpreted both ways so I should probably confirm which one is correct! Also, what is a TRIP? I've never heard of that. 

Traveller Redress Inquiry Program

https://trip.dhs.gov/TRIP/

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Canada.gif

1 hour ago, Hawk Riders said:

56 minutes ago, DGF said:

DGF is correct. There is no limit per year in terms of how long one can stay. There are just tax, benefit eligibility, etc. issues + likely not being admitted again if staying too long in the US. But there is no hard limit - it's just good advice to avoid doing so.

56 minutes ago, DGF said:

Adjusting status is 100% not an option for us, we're so close to the finish line that it would be pointless. Plus my husband is a dual citizen so our plan b is for him to move to Canada (not as ideal due to his job and most of our combined family being in the US, but at least we'll be together).

Good - entering with intent to adjust status would also be fraud. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

On 10/26/2019 at 2:02 PM, DGF said:

I’m sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I am now trying to decide if I should extend my trip until either my interview or I get close to 6 months, whichever comes first. However there are three things that I’m wary about that are preventing me from making a decision:

1. If I extend my trip I will be considered a resident for tax purposes under the substantial presence rule. This means I will have to file taxes, possibly before my interview. Will this be a problem either for our application or at my interview? Also, since I don’t have any income, could filing US taxes cause any problems under the new public charge rules? I hope that my husbands income and the fact that I intend on working once I get my green card will be enough to prove otherwise. Lastly, will filing US taxes cause any issues when I file my final Canadian taxes once I have my green card?

2. Since I crossed using my NEXUS, I don’t have a stamp in my passport saying when I was admitted until. I checked my i94 online, but since I cross by land the last one I was issued was from the last time crossed via air and expired in June. When I use the site to check my compliance it says I am not eligible to check online. The guy at the border didn’t say anything about giving me a shortened admittance, but is it possible that he did and didn’t tell me? Is there any way I can check my compliance other than online, perhaps by calling CBP?

3. We are planning to submit our DS-260 this week. Is it possible to do so while I am in the US? If so, would I include this trip under the section about previous US travel and what would I put as the duration of stay since it is unknown?

What border do you typically cross at?

• 4 months later...
Timeline
On 10/27/2019 at 7:15 PM, Hawk Riders said:

addendum:

Any idea where I can read up on this exact situation? Not pertaining me but, I was trying to advise someone against this recently

1 minute ago, TOtoVA said:

Any idea where I can read up on this exact situation? Not pertaining me but, I was trying to advise someone against this recently

The notation is more like an internal note that they are placing on the visa so she knows they know and have advised her that they suspect she is may to try to AOS.  The enforceability can be an issue from a practical point as we all know situations can change.

E406C562-E521-4BFB-8B84-C1CE1BF6CD75.jpeg.1a1417a1e62328b487b7792ce76c5306.jpeg

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

The notation is more like an internal note that they are placing on the visa so she knows they know and have advised her that they suspect she is may to try to AOS.  The enforceability can be an issue from a practical point as we all know situations can change.

E406C562-E521-4BFB-8B84-C1CE1BF6CD75.jpeg.1a1417a1e62328b487b7792ce76c5306.jpeg

Got it. Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.