Ceci0504

Last name changed and passport

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello! I’m from Peru, when I got married I changed my last name but I haven’t go back to my country yet. I want to go back to my country as soon as I get my green card but I my passport still has my old last name. I was wondering if I can still use it to go back to my country or I have to change it? Is it important to change it now? Since I have all my visas with that passport do I need to get all done again? 

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

You can still use it to travel. Bring your marriage certificate when you travel so you have proof of the name change. 

17 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

And book the ticket in the name in your passport. If anyone asks, you whip out the marriage certificate.

I always wondered about that because my wife hasn't updated her passport yet.  I will for sure travel with the marriage certificate. 

Just now, Ed&Midori1031 said:

I always wondered about that because my wife hasn't updated her passport yet.  I will for sure travel with the marriage certificate. 

You don't need to, you don't have to update the passport. If you ticket matches your travel document (which is your passport), 99% of the time nobody will ask anything. The only place they might ask something is US Custom CBP, because the name on the travel document won't match the name on the AP or the Green card or something, at which time she says she's married and changed her name and here's the marriage certificate. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

You don't need to, you don't have to update the passport. If you ticket matches your travel document (which is your passport), 99% of the time nobody will ask anything. The only place they might ask something is US Custom CBP, because the name on the travel document won't match the name on the AP or the Green card or something, at which time she says she's married and changed her name and here's the marriage certificate. 

Since my wife is a military dependent, her military ID has her new legal name, so since we're transfering later this year, her plane tickets have her new legal name on it.  We're traveling to Japan, and I have wondered about the passport and tickets matching.  With Brazilian passports, you can't update them untl they get close to expiring, it's weird.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.