ZeeZeeZee

I-864 evidence at interview

8 posts in this topic

Got my green card interview date! (after only 8 months! I'd be over the moon, if it hadn't also taken them 8 months to approve the EAD)

In the list of what to bring, it says:

"A completed Affidavit(s) of Support (Form I-864) with all required evidence, including the following, for each of your sponsors (unless already submitted):

- Federal Income Tax returns and W-2's, or certified IRS printouts, for the most recent tax year;

- Letters from each current employer, verifying current rate of pay and average weekly hours, and pay stubs for the past 2 months;

- Evidence of your sponsor's and/or co-sponsor's United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident status."

"all required evidence, including the following" makes no sense to me, because you don't have to submit letters from employers or pay stubs with the I-864 unless you need supplemental evidence to back up your W-2. We submitted the I-864 and my partner's W-2 and tax return as part of the initial filing; they earn well above the required minimum and have done for years, so we didn't need a co-sponsor or any supplemental evidence.

So does the "unless already submitted" apply to the I-864 packet, in which case we're good because we already did that and so we can ignore the rest of the bullet point, or does it apply to all items on that list, meaning we now have to go sort out a letter from their employer and pay stubs even though we don't need them?

I guess what I'm asking is, are there genuinely stricter evidence requirements at the interview or have they just worded their list poorly? Has anyone had to produce pay stubs for the interview despite having already filed their I-864?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Paystubs are an ideal way to show actual income being produced.  My philosophy is always:   "better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it." 

Congrats BTW!! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I consider those letters as trying to cover every kind of adjustment of status and every possible scenario in as few words as possible so as to be cryptic. I'd go with "already submitted".

I wondered the same thing. I decided to play it safe and just bring everything, just in case. My interview is on Tuesday! 

I'm going with poor wording. However, good idea to bring up-to-date evidence just in case. Did you already submit a 2018 tax return or was it a 2017?

Oh, good call on the updated tax return; we only submitted the 2017 returns with the original packet. I'll add 2018 tax return to my list. (I have a colour-coded list of everything to bring, because of course I do.)

Good luck Sarah G! Let us know how it goes? 

Thanks all! I know I'm overthinking this a bit, but this entire process has been miserable and now I just want to get to the finish line without screwing up.

• 1 month later...

Update on this, in case it pops up in someone's search in future: we brought copies of my partner's W2 and tax return for 2017 (which were included with the initial I-864) and for 2018 (which were new), and it was 100% fine.

So if you've already filed the I-864: just bring originals and copies of anything filed with that, and copies of anything new or relevant, and you should be good.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 11/27/2019 at 12:55 AM, ZeeZeeZee said:

Update on this, in case it pops up in someone's search in future: we brought copies of my partner's W2 and tax return for 2017 (which were included with the initial I-864) and for 2018 (which were new), and it was 100% fine.

So if you've already filed the I-864: just bring originals and copies of anything filed with that, and copies of anything new or relevant, and you should be good.

Thanks for the update!

N-400:

12/27/2023 - Received receipt notice and biometric reuse notice. Estimated processing time: 6 months

12/27/2023 - Submitted N-400 online

I-751:

January 2023 - Submitted I-751 via mail

AOS (I-130 & I-485)  from H-1B, based on marriage to a USC:

3/18/2021 - Card delivered! 
3/18/2021
- Card mailed 
3/16/2021
- Approved
3/15/2021 - New card ordered
3/9/2021 - Interview completed and your case must be reviewed. We will mail you a notice if we make a decision or take further action. (I had to go in with some updated and signed medical form as something was missing in the initially submitted form and they gave me an appointment for the following week)
1/22/2021 - Scheduled interview
1/19/2021 - Ready to schedule for interview

1/15/2021 (1 year and 2 months!) - Case status changed to interview cancelled! :(

12/9/2021 (1 year and 1 month) - Case status changed to interview scheduled

1/21/2020 (Day 73) - Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

12/12/2019 (Day 33) - Biometrics Appointment. Case status online updated to fingerprints received.

12/6/2019 (Day 27) - Called USCIS customer care and received an email copy of biometrics notice as I had misplaced the original one

11/22/2019 (Day 20) - Received biometrics notice letter for 12/12 biometrics appointment (No status changes in online USCIS case trackers)

11/18/2019 (Day 9) - USCIS charged credit card. Received text notifications from USCIS with case number (Checked case numbers to see following statuses: 11/12 - Case was received, 11/18 - Fingerprint fee was received)

11/10/2019 (Day 1) - USPS notification of delivery to USCIS
11/8/2019 - Sent application via USPS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.