ShayrineC

Got A 221(g) - What Happens in AP?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi guys, not sure whether anyone knows about the workings of AP in Singapore but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.

Had my interview 2 days back (16/10), and unfortunately, even though I've mentally prepared for every scenario i thought of, I got a 221(g) because the clinic that handled my medical did not tick the box about the visa I was applying for.

Everything else seems to be okay, according to the consular officer, but he said he needs the amended report before he can go ahead to approve my petition. They kept my passport, which i am hoping is a good sign? Then I got the "refusal worksheet" with the remarks "minor amendment to medical examination report".

After some frantic phone calls, I got a callback from the clinic the same day in the afternoon, saying that they have gone down personally to the embassy to settle the matter. Have been checking my status on CEAC since then, and it says it is in Administrative Processing (AP).

Question now is, what exactly happens in AP, and would anyone know the timeline for that in Singapore? I emailed the embassy, and all they could say was that my "application is under consideration". 

Now I'm simply terrified that they find a reason to deny the visa now too, since I never got the catharsis of being told my visa was approved. And rather resentful of the clinic I trusted to handle my medical.

If you've read my post till this far, thank you so much for listening. I know its very possible you might have not have an answer, but it felt good to speak about my frustrations somewhere where it can be understood.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ShayrineC said:

Hi guys, not sure whether anyone knows about the workings of AP in Singapore but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.

Had my interview 2 days back (16/10), and unfortunately, even though I've mentally prepared for every scenario i thought of, I got a 221(g) because the clinic that handled my medical did not tick the box about the visa I was applying for.

Everything else seems to be okay, according to the consular officer, but he said he needs the amended report before he can go ahead to approve my petition. They kept my passport, which i am hoping is a good sign? Then I got the "refusal worksheet" with the remarks "minor amendment to medical examination report".

After some frantic phone calls, I got a callback from the clinic the same day in the afternoon, saying that they have gone down personally to the embassy to settle the matter. Have been checking my status on CEAC since then, and it says it is in Administrative Processing (AP).

Question now is, what exactly happens in AP, and would anyone know the timeline for that in Singapore? I emailed the embassy, and all they could say was that my "application is under consideration". 

Now I'm simply terrified that they find a reason to deny the visa now too, since I never got the catharsis of being told my visa was approved. And rather resentful of the clinic I trusted to handle my medical.

If you've read my post till this far, thank you so much for listening. I know its very possible you might have not have an answer, but it felt good to speak about my frustrations somewhere where it can be understood.

AP consists of many things including final clerical duties to prepare the file for Visa printing 

YMMV

11 minutes ago, ShayrineC said:

what exactly happens in AP, and would anyone know the timeline for that in Singapore?

It is normal. AP is anything and everything that they have to do before they can print your visa. Everybody thinks the officer just hits the “print” button on the computer and it’ll print like a receipt. The interviewing CO has to submit his findings and decision to his supervisor, if the supervisor agrees then the section chief has to review and sign off on it. If any of those guys is busy at some secret State training or on vacation in Thailand or something, things are gonna get delayed.And who knows how many other layers of approval at State a visa has to have. Then if the visa printer runs out of ink and they have to wait for another shipment of the secret sauce from Washington, so that’s another delay (I just made that up. I actually have no idea if that’s true or not, but it sounds good). Then they have to do quality control on the visa. They have to run it through the machine that CBP uses at the POE to make sure it reads right, and all the information is there, so you won’t have a problem at the port of entry. And every week, every Embassy or Consulate Post can issue thousands of visas, both immigrant and non-immigrant. 

The point is, all of that together is called “Administrative Processing”.

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Singapore
Timeline
3 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

secret sauce from Washington

that was genuinely funny, thank you for that.

And thank you for the detailed reply, I really hope my case is still chugging along behind the scenes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
49 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

It is normal. AP is anything and everything that they have to do before they can print your visa. Everybody thinks the officer just hits the “print” button on the computer and it’ll print like a receipt. The interviewing CO has to submit his findings and decision to his supervisor, if the supervisor agrees then the section chief has to review and sign off on it. If any of those guys is busy at some secret State training or on vacation in Thailand or something, things are gonna get delayed.And who knows how many other layers of approval at State a visa has to have. Then if the visa printer runs out of ink and they have to wait for another shipment of the secret sauce from Washington, so that’s another delay (I just made that up. I actually have no idea if that’s true or not, but it sounds good). Then they have to do quality control on the visa. They have to run it through the machine that CBP uses at the POE to make sure it reads right, and all the information is there, so you won’t have a problem at the port of entry. And every week, every Embassy or Consulate Post can issue thousands of visas, both immigrant and non-immigrant. 

The point is, all of that together is called “Administrative Processing”.

👍👍👍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.