IslandGirl1992

Traveling to US from Philippines, is IPV (Polio) shot required?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I’m from the Philippines and I’m traveling to the US next month. I read that an IPV (Inactive Polio Vaccine) is needed? And an International Vaccine Certificate from the Bureau of Quarantine should be issued to be presented to the Immigration Officer?

if so, where can we get this vaccine? Is the Bureau of Quarantine the only administering agency? Or can we get vaccinated elsewhere? 

if we get the vaccine elsewhere, how can we get this International Vaccine Certificate from BOQ? Will they honor it?

Timeline

If you are coming over on a K-1 and already had your medical at St Lukes.  Then the Vaccination Documentation Worksheet you got after you got your vaccinations should partially explain it.  You see where it says A in the final column?  Thats a blanket waiver request for those vaccinations that are not medically appropriate.  In the case of Polio, it is not regarded as age appropriate for Adults.  So therefore, you do not need it.

Timeline
19 hours ago, Soccii said:

I’m traveling to the US next month.

You’re timeline says NOA1 8/6/19 Is that accurate and you have your interview scheduled already? That’s very fast. Congrats 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Russ&MaryAnn said:

You’re timeline says NOA1 8/6/19 Is that accurate and you have your interview scheduled already? That’s very fast. Congrats 

We don’t have our NOA2 yet. I’m flying to the US on a B1/B2 US Tourist Visa 😊 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Electrichead64 said:

If you are coming over on a K-1 and already had your medical at St Lukes.  Then the Vaccination Documentation Worksheet you got after you got your vaccinations should partially explain it.  You see where it says A in the final column?  Thats a blanket waiver request for those vaccinations that are not medically appropriate.  In the case of Polio, it is not regarded as age appropriate for Adults.  So therefore, you do not need it.

I’m coming in using my B1/B2 US Tourist Visa. There’s a recent (October 4, 2019) advisory from the Bureau of Quarantine of the Philippines for Polio Vaccination for Travelers coming in and out of the country

BD736217-06CA-4871-BD11-615FF1A2AF9D.jpeg

Timeline
3 hours ago, Soccii said:

I’m coming in using my B1/B2 US Tourist Visa. There’s a recent (October 4, 2019) advisory from the Bureau of Quarantine of the Philippines for Polio Vaccination for Travelers coming in and out of the country

BD736217-06CA-4871-BD11-615FF1A2AF9D.jpeg

OK.  I'm not an expert.  But to me, this seems really freaking stupid.  Polio vaccine is a dead virus vaccine.  The way these things work is they trigger your immune system to create antibodies in advance to fight off a virus that looks the same, but is actually dead.  The vaccine does not cure Polio.  Either you have it, or you do not.  Two, the United States can be rather cocky sometimes - in case you havent noticed.  We dont particularly like to adhere to global agencies when it comes to advice.  We do our own thing.  We have the CDC in Atlanta, Georgia.  USCIS goes by whats called ACIP standards and recommendations in regards to vaccinations required.  

The Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices (ACIP) is an advisory committee to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that recommends immunizations for the general U.S. population.

Per ACIP standards, the polio vaccine is regarded as not age appropriate for adults.  

This is what the CDC has to say about Polio vaccinations. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/public/index.html

You be the judge on whether you want it or not.  Coming from the Philippines - probably a good idea.  We pretty much eliminated Polio in the USA because of our vaccination programs, but I would get it simply because I wanted it  for additional protection to make sure I didnt catch it later in the Philippines - NOT because I needed it to enter the USA.  

The reason why I know these things is because my fiancee just did her medical, and I had some of these same questions.  

Edited by Electrichead64
added CDC link

Timeline

The second question would be, do you need this for your exit visa?  Ie, do you have to do a CFO thing before you go out on a visitors visa and are THEY going to check?  if so, the answer is yes, you should probably get it.  The USA probably dont care though.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Electrichead64 said:

OK.  I'm not an expert.  But to me, this seems really freaking stupid.  Polio vaccine is a dead virus vaccine.  The way these things work is they trigger your immune system to create antibodies in advance to fight off a virus that looks the same, but is actually dead.  The vaccine does not cure Polio.  Either you have it, or you do not.  Two, the United States can be rather cocky sometimes - in case you havent noticed.  We dont particularly like to adhere to global agencies when it comes to advice.  We do our own thing.  We have the CDC in Atlanta, Georgia.  USCIS goes by whats called ACIP standards and recommendations in regards to vaccinations required.  

The Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices (ACIP) is an advisory committee to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that recommends immunizations for the general U.S. population.

Per ACIP standards, the polio vaccine is regarded as not age appropriate for adults.  

This is what the CDC has to say about Polio vaccinations. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/public/index.html

You be the judge on whether you want it or not.  Coming from the Philippines - probably a good idea.  We pretty much eliminated Polio in the USA because of our vaccination programs, but I would get it simply because I wanted it  for additional protection to make sure I didnt catch it later in the Philippines - NOT because I needed it to enter the USA.  

The reason why I know these things is because my fiancee just did her medical, and I had some of these same questions.  

Thank you so much! Really appreciate your views on this matter. I’ve been researching and asking around and so far, nobody seems to have been stopped and asked at airports whether they had polio vaccinations. 

it’s such a hassle for us given that Inactive Polio Vaccine (IPV) is not widely available or not available at all in the Philippines, if I am not mistaken. Only the Oral Polio Vaccines (OPV) are given to infants. 

Edited by Soccii

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Electrichead64 said:

The second question would be, do you need this for your exit visa?  Ie, do you have to do a CFO thing before you go out on a visitors visa and are THEY going to check?  if so, the answer is yes, you should probably get it.  The USA probably dont care though.

No CFO Certificate/Sticker is needed for B1/B2 US Tourist Visa holders. Only Immigrant Visas are asked to show their sticker and certificate from CFO. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Soccii said:

No CFO Certificate/Sticker is needed for B1/B2 US Tourist Visa holders. Only Immigrant Visas are asked to show their sticker and certificate from CFO. 

Overseas Foreign Workers need to do a similar thing with the CFO.  Wasnt sure about tourist visas.  You might want to save your money and see if you can get that vaccine in the USA if you pay out of pocket.  It might not be that much.  Just a thought.  But if I was coming from a country where polio was ramping up again and I was thinking about getting a vaccine, and I had a choice where I would rather get it .. USA or Philippines .. I know what I would pick.  Especially since a lot of Filipinos dont trust their own doctors and especially with that dengue vaccine scare.  I know, I know its different situation but it still has people on edge and I understand that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.