guyfromky

Question about filing taxes

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Me and my wife are about to file for AOS for her but the I-864 asks how much money I made in the last 3 years. Problem is, I don't remember how much money I made in 2016 because at times I was a temp worker and at other times I was a permanent employee at a certain company. I worked around 3 months at the one company as a temp worker then for a few months as a permanent worker. I don't recall recieving a w2 form from the hiring agency that placed me at that job as a temp (or if I recieved it it must have gotten accidentally thrown out somehow) and I can't find any paystubs (and I looked everywhere) from that time period. I'm going to see on monday if the hiring agency can help me, but if for some reason they can't is there any way at all that i can figure out how much money I made?

The issue is made worse by the face that for what reason I can't even remember I didn't file any taxes for 2016. I'd like to go back and file despite knowing there could be hefty penalties for not filing at the time. I know the taxes were taken from my paychecks already but still, I should've filed. Plus at that job before I worked various extra days and overtime at various times so it's impossible for me to simply count how much money I made. So if the hiring agency can't answer my question does anyone know what I can do to calculate my pay accurately for the I-864?

Any advice will be very appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
50 minutes ago, guyfromky said:

Me and my wife are about to file for AOS for her but the I-864 asks how much money I made in the last 3 years. Problem is, I don't remember how much money I made in 2016 because at times I was a temp worker and at other times I was a permanent employee at a certain company. I worked around 3 months at the one company as a temp worker then for a few months as a permanent worker. I don't recall recieving a w2 form from the hiring agency that placed me at that job as a temp (or if I recieved it it must have gotten accidentally thrown out somehow) and I can't find any paystubs (and I looked everywhere) from that time period. I'm going to see on monday if the hiring agency can help me, but if for some reason they can't is there any way at all that i can figure out how much money I made?

The issue is made worse by the face that for what reason I can't even remember I didn't file any taxes for 2016. I'd like to go back and file despite knowing there could be hefty penalties for not filing at the time. I know the taxes were taken from my paychecks already but still, I should've filed. Plus at that job before I worked various extra days and overtime at various times so it's impossible for me to simply count how much money I made. So if the hiring agency can't answer my question does anyone know what I can do to calculate my pay accurately for the I-864?

Any advice will be very appreciated.

I would order a tax transcript.  If you filed taxes, it will indicate that.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, guyfromky said:

I didn't file for 2016, that's the problem.

Maybe on Monday the hiring agency will have records....they should have records of how much they paid you and what they reported to the IRS....another idea would be to enter "Unknown" on the I-864......that may or may not cause them to generate an RFE.......then it might be tax attorney consultation time........just my thoughts.

image.png.a2cfa3ce58ff62c71fce0b7bc8880bc5.png

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, guyfromky said:

Would putting "unknown" trigger a denial of AOS process?

Denial? I doubt it........it would be more likely to generate an RFE.  You might be required to get a qualified joint sponsor......

14 minutes ago, missileman said:

Denial? I doubt it........it would be more likely to generate an RFE.  You might be required to get a qualified joint sponsor......

I made enough money in 2018 and so far in 2019 I've already made more than enough. I might still need joint sponsor?

Timeline
1 hour ago, guyfromky said:

It would show net profit and not gross profit. I'm assuming doing that wouldn't help.

If you can’t get any records from the agency I think you can calculate from deposits working backwards with a calculator like this: https://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/grossup/.

7 minutes ago, D-R-J said:

If you can’t get any records from the agency I think you can calculate from deposits working backwards with a calculator like this: https://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/grossup/.

I have no w2 for that time period, no paystubs, nothing to calculate with. I may or may not be able to get the paystubs from the hiring agency on Monday, if they still have them. And my deposits were put onto an old debit card that I no longer use. I tried to log in to the website mentioned on the back of the old card to see the deposits and it kept saying "error". I guess the old information for the card is no longer there. I guess I just have to hope the hiring agency still has the information and if they don't I'll try contacting the IRS to see if they have any info about it.

7 hours ago, guyfromky said:

I didn't file for 2016, that's the problem.

Yup. You don't just need the income for 2016, you need to actually file taxes for 2016 as well to qualify as an I-864 sponsor (with or without a joint sponsor).

Firsts step would be to contact whoever paid you (the employers), then probably the agency, then the IRS directly. Hopefully at least 1 of them have the information necessary.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Set up an account at IRS.gov and request an Wage and Income (W&I) Transcript for 2016. It will list all of the forms issued to the IRS by third party payors that reported all of the wage and income attributable to you.  So, it will list all of your W2s and 1099s, that is assuming your employer reported your income to the IRS, and any other income you may have received ie. interest income.  Once you get your W&I transcript, you should have the information that you can use to file your 2016 income tax return.  Of course if there is income that was not reported to the IRS that you know that you received, you can use some of the other suggestions above to calculate that income.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.