Nody

Public charge & Insurance

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have 2 questions and I hope I can find the answers here..

I'm waiting for my CR1 interview letter for almost 6 months now!!

My first question is about the public charge, I'm not working but my husband is making much more than what's required for our family size, is there any possibility that the CO rejects my visa due to public charge ? 

My second question is about the insurance, my husband tried to add me to his insurance but they told him that I have to be there and to have the SSN but they can give us a letter states that they will add me to his insurance when I get to the US even if it's not the enrollment time..

Will that letter be enough for the CO ?

1) You are likely fine. Nobody can guarantee it though because it’s based upon a totality of the circumstances and is a judgement call by the CO.

2) An SSN is not required but sometimes you need to run through some hoops to get it. Either way, I think a letter would be fine. It’s impossible to know more at this point as that proclamation is brand new.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

1) You are likely fine. Nobody can guarantee it though because it’s based upon a totality of the circumstances and is a judgement call by the CO.

2) An SSN is not required but sometimes you need to run through some hoops to get it. Either way, I think a letter would be fine. It’s impossible to know more at this point as that proclamation is brand new.

Thank you for your response..

I think it's very confusing and still need more clarification from them!

For the insurance he tried twice to add me and everytime they asked for SSN!

He applied for ITIN for me and I got it! 

They told him they will TRY to add me next month which is the enrollment time!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Nody said:

My second question is about the insurance, my husband tried to add me to his insurance but they told him that I have to be there and to have the SSN but they can give us a letter states that they will add me to his insurance when I get to the US even if it's not the enrollment time..

Will that letter be enough for the CO ?

I was able to add my wife to my insurance w/o a SSN. Stating this year, the company that manages our benefits plan said a SSN was required. But after calling and explaining we are waiting for her visa and SSN to be issued I was able to add her. They said just call when she has a SSN and update the file. So it might company specific. But a SSN is not required for insurance. 

However i did find this on the IRS website. It might explain why the insurance company wants it. It seems a TIN should work. 

Q1. My health insurance company has requested that I provide them with my social security number and the social security numbers of my spouse and children.  Is there a reason why they need our social security numbers?

A1. Your health insurance company is required to provide Form 1095-B, Health Coverage to you and to the Internal Revenue Service. You will use information from the form to prepare your individual income tax return. The law requires SSNs to be reported on Form 1095-B. 

Q5: If I do not have a social security number (SSN) or other tax identifying number (TIN) for myself or other covered individuals, such as my spouse or dependents, should I contact the IRS to obtain  a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) so that I can give it to my health coverage provider?

A5: No, it is not necessary for you to contact the IRS if you do not have an SSN or a TIN.  You should advise your coverage provider that you do not have an SSN or TIN and give them the date of birth for each covered individual.

LINK:

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/questions-and-answers-about-reporting-social-security-numbers-to-your-health-insurance-company#targetText=Your health insurance company is,to the Internal Revenue Service.&targetText=The law requires SSNs to be reported on Form 1095-B.

Edited by Scott001

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.