Elif_and_Greg

Turkish filers concerned about Turkish-Kurdish conflict

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I know how it sounds as people are dying right now that my biggest concern is how Turkey's invasion into Syria could affect my fiance's visa. Nevertheless, I hate the timing of Erdogan's invasion. My fiance's interview in Ankara is next week and we're stressed enough as it is. I know in many cases that one foreign policy doesn't necessarily have to do with another. And I've seen other policy decisions both Turkish and U.S. administrations that I thought would affect my fiance's visa journey, but didn't end up doing so. 

I just thought I'd open a discussion about it anyway. Maybe some of you have lived or have fiances live in areas affected by wars and you were concerned how it would affect you personally. And I really don't mean to get into a whole discussion about the whole geo-political situations. I have my own opinions about all of that stuff and even what's happening in Syria now, but the purpose of this thread was to discuss how people have been or could be affected by change in foreign policies in the middle of their visa applications. 

It seems unlikely that even with Turkey suddenly invading Syria, that our entire relationship with the country would change to dramatically as to affect visa applications. Our relationship with Turkey, however, has been increasingly strained and you never know when a change of events is the last straw on the camel's back. I don't think this invasion is quite that, and Erdogan might even pull back his forces after a few days of skirmishes. Hopefully cooler heads can prevail in this conflict, and personally I'm just getting so anxious get to my fiance to the US safe and sound. 

Edited by Elif_and_Greg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

I know how it sounds as people are dying right now that my biggest concern is how Turkey's invasion into Syria could affect my fiance's visa. Nevertheless, I hate the timing of Erdogan's invasion. My fiance's interview in Ankara is next week and we're stressed enough as it is. I know in many cases that one foreign policy doesn't necessarily have to do with another. And I've seen other policy decisions both Turkish and U.S. administrations that I thought would affect my fiance's visa journey, but didn't end up doing so. 

I just thought I'd open a discussion about it anyway. Maybe some of you have lived or have fiances live in areas affected by wars and you were concerned how it would affect you personally. And I really don't mean to get into a whole discussion about the whole geo-political situations. I have my own opinions about all of that stuff and even what's happening in Syria now, but the purpose of this thread was to discuss how people have been or could be affected by change in foreign policies in the middle of their visa applications. 

It seems unlikely that even with Turkey suddenly invading Syria, that our entire relationship with the country would change to dramatically as to affect visa applications. Our relationship with Turkey, however, has been increasingly strained and you never know when a change of events is the last straw on the camel's back. I don't think this invasion is quite that, and Erdogan might even pull back his forces after a few days of skirmishes. Hopefully cooler heads can prevail in this conflict, and personally I'm just getting so anxious get to my fiance to the US safe and sound. 

Only if they close the consulate 

YMMV

Timeline

My husband is Kurdish and from Eastern Turkey. He came on K-1 December 1st and we were married Dec 10th, 2018.  We started talking either just before or during the Visa ban 2017 that went into January 2018. As soon as the ban lifted, I flew there to meet him! That is the part that would hang a person up in my opinion. We were worried that they would do it again and then how the heck could you get facetime together..... I often worried about the political ######## as well. You are already at the interview part and therefore you are safe. Should be smooth sailing if all things are in order and there is nothing unusual about your case. That's my opinion :) Everyone has one and most people feel free enough to tell you theirs no matter what, lol.

Good luck!

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove alternate spelling of profanity.

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Timeline

BTW... you guys are adorable!!!!!!

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Timeline
1 hour ago, <3T&M<3 said:

BTW... you guys are adorable!!!!!!

Oh thank you so much for the positive comments and encouragement. By the way, my fiance is always looking for other Turkish people to talk to who have had their visa interviews. So if you'd be willing to chat with her on whatsapp, send me a message and we can exchange numbers. She's really taking the interview so serious and could use some advice and help to relax. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Progress Reports to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.