letsgetthisdone

X-ray done BEFORE medical exam? How to handle recent hospitalization?

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have my medical exam in Montreal next week and I'm wondering what I need to consider given that I've had a recent hospitalization.

I was in the hospital for a few weeks this past summer to deal with an infection. It was serious at the time but I got treatment and now I'm in the recovery phase - not completely out of the woods, but moving towards that. I am aware they ask you if you've been hospitalized before, and obviously I will say yes to that. However, do they care much about non-psychiatric medical issues? Should I be going to my family doc to get her to write a letter explaining the situation and if so, what info should I have her include?

I also got a chest x-ray while in hospital and have the medical record for that. Anyone have any experience as to whether they would accept this and forego the x-ray on site? When I called Medisys the person said to go ahead and bring it because they "might" accept it, but wasn't much help beyond that.

Any insights, I'd love to hear!

41 minutes ago, letsgetthisdone said:

Hello,

I have my medical exam in Montreal next week and I'm wondering what I need to consider given that I've had a recent hospitalization.

I was in the hospital for a few weeks this past summer to deal with an infection. It was serious at the time but I got treatment and now I'm in the recovery phase - not completely out of the woods, but moving towards that. I am aware they ask you if you've been hospitalized before, and obviously I will say yes to that. However, do they care much about non-psychiatric medical issues? Should I be going to my family doc to get her to write a letter explaining the situation and if so, what info should I have her include?

I also got a chest x-ray while in hospital and have the medical record for that. Anyone have any experience as to whether they would accept this and forego the x-ray on site? When I called Medisys the person said to go ahead and bring it because they "might" accept it, but wasn't much help beyond that.

Generally they care about communicable diseases, drug use, psychological issues, any kind of issues that would put others in danger. They give a little more focus to on going issues that are likely to re-occur but the doctor at medical will know about that (i.e chronic issues), acute onsets of issues aren't likely to re-occur unless there are underlying concerns (i.e you would be in hospital if you for instance broke a bone, but thats not likely to cause major further issues in future once it's healed).

Speaking from experience but no detailed knowledge on the specifics they don't generally accept outside medical records because it's a closed system, just like you have to visit a specific doctor, they will likely either do the x-ray's on site or send to a specific certified lab (certified for immigration use lab) for these x-rays. I could be wrong but it's unlikely for them to accept these prior x-rays, the other issue is that the medical exam is valid 6 months from date of exam and so if the x-rays are already 2-3 months old then obviously their validity is shorter. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, letsgetthisdone said:

Hello,

The chest xray has to  be pretty specific.  Unless you're pregnant it's really not a big deal to get another one done.  

They will ask you to list all surgeries and hospitalizations and why. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I doubt they will except the xray. They are pretty strict that everything needs to be done by them. Now I would bring your xray as it can help them see how your recovery is going. It shouldn't cause any issues with your medical. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would suggest asking the hospital for the radio-graph (x-ray/chest) on a disk and bring it with you, and let them keep it if necessary.  When I've asked for one it came the next day by mail, and was free. 

You mention that you are well into recovery but not fully recovered. If the condition could be considered transmittable, then the pathologist or reviewing Practitioner might find it useful to compare the two, if they take one when you are there.  Or, the Practitioner might decide that the prior one was good enough.

In short, bringing a disk with the summer radio graph might be beneficial and I can't see how it would hurt things.  I'd think that a note from your doctor might be useful, and again, I doubt it  would hurt.

There are two negatives to another a  radiograph (chest x-ray).  The first is cost--who needs another charge for the x-ray and a further charge for it to be read by the pathologist.  The second concern some people have is radiation exposure.

A chest x-ray does expose a person to radiation.  However, over a century the time exposed has gone from 90 minutes to 20 millionths of a second.  (Rontgen took the first radiograph in 1895).  All of us are exposed to radiation everyday.

"To put it simply, the amount of radiation from one adult chest x-ray (0.1 mSv) is about the same as 10 days of natural background radiation that we are all exposed to as part of our daily living."

https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=safety-xray 

If you fly back and forth over the Pacific or Atlantic (two flights) you receive about the same x-ray dosage that you would receive with one chest x-ray.

Good luck and I hope it goes well and you get fully recovered.

(note: I'm not a medical Practitioner and always seek answers to medical questions from a bona fide medical Practitioner)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.