derwydd-llyn

How long does my husband need to wait to visit again while we wait for his interview?

6 posts in this topic

We submitted our documents to the NVC on September 6 and we are currently waiting for my husband's interview to be scheduled.

We traveled into the US together from the UK in mid-May, and my husband stayed for just under three months while we set up our apartment and moved into our new city. He left a couple days before his 90 days were up on his visitor visa, on August 10. 

I am wondering if he can come visit in the next couple weeks or if he needs to wait the full 90+ days between visits. He would be coming until his interview, which is likely to be scheduled for November or early December. I'm living on my own right now, in full-time grad school and full-time work, and really struggling emotionally, so him coming back earlier would be ideal if at all possible. 

Thank you for your advice. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

The notion to stay out of the US for at least as long as you visited the US before returning again is just a recommendation, not a requirement. Entry is never guaranteed no matter how long you wait to visit, but he is allowed to try to visit still. It helps to bring along evidence that you are going through the process the legal way and through a consulate, and to also bring along evidence of ties he still has back in the UK (a job letter of when he’ll be expected to be back at work, a doctors appointment, a rental agreement, etc). However it will all be up to the CBP officer at the point of entry whether or not he is allowed in

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, LilyJ said:

The notion to stay out of the US for at least as long as you visited the US before returning again is just a recommendation, not a requirement. Entry is never guaranteed no matter how long you wait to visit, but he is allowed to try to visit still. It helps to bring along evidence that you are going through the process the legal way and through a consulate, and to also bring along evidence of ties he still has back in the UK (a job letter of when he’ll be expected to be back at work, a doctors appointment, a rental agreement, etc). However it will all be up to the CBP officer at the point of entry whether or not he is allowed in

Risky to try to enter again until he has been gone as long as his last visit lasted.  To do so can be construed as an abuse of ESTA, or the VWP.  But, as stated above by LilyJ, it is not specifically forbidden to enter sooner.  It's always a judgment call.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

5 hours ago, derwydd-llyn said:

We submitted our documents to the NVC on September 6 and we are currently waiting for my husband's interview to be scheduled.

We traveled into the US together from the UK in mid-May, and my husband stayed for just under three months while we set up our apartment and moved into our new city. He left a couple days before his 90 days were up on his visitor visa, on August 10. 

I am wondering if he can come visit in the next couple weeks or if he needs to wait the full 90+ days between visits. He would be coming until his interview, which is likely to be scheduled for November or early December. I'm living on my own right now, in full-time grad school and full-time work, and really struggling emotionally, so him coming back earlier would be ideal if at all possible. 

Risky.  They might start to wonder how he can afford to be away from work for long periods, or whether he would be working illegally whilst here.

Agreed - possible but risky to try again after a longer stay and short time abroad. Best to wait until at least he has spent more time outside the US than in it. It's not guaranteed, but it's a good rule of thumb for a reason.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2019 at 5:21 PM, derwydd-llyn said:

I am in the IR-1 Visa process  which was filed on September the 26th 2019 while I was visiting the U.S.  Although I have not travelled back to the U.S since leaving on the 29th August, I have in the past 2yrs been travelling back and forth on my VW to visit my husband, daughter and granddaughter and never overstaying the 90 days in any one period.  That said I have at times returned back to the U.S in as little as 6wks from my previous departure and on one instance returned back after a vacation to Mexico (leaving from the U.S) and returning to the U.S  in as little as a week.   I have never had a problem and have always been treated well.  On a couple of occasions I have been taken into the interview room but on checking my details and travel frequency (that I have always abided by the VWP rules) they have never denied me entry.  I think by now they have gotten used to me and that I always leave before the 90 day expiration and never go over the 180 days in any one year.  

I'm sure they know by now, that If I was going to try to stay and change status I would not have spent thousands of dollars over the last 2 years going back and forth.  But that is just my account and experience with immigration.   At the end of the day it is the immigration officials final decision that counts.  I have always found them to be very sympathetic with my separation from my family and on times they have even offered good advice on immigration issues.  They sometimes get a bad rap, they are at he end of the day human beings with families themselves, you would have to get a really disgruntled immigration officer who would deny your husband  access to be with you  if he were not a threat for any other red flag reasons. 

Good luck, and I hope you will be reunited with your husband sooner rather than later!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.