ClickityClackity

Does my father need an ESTA?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello all, 

My dad is looking up flights to visit me in the States. He told me that when he was younger he had his passport stamped by the US consulate in Barcelona with a stamp that allowed him permanent entry into the United States. I emailed the US embassy in Spain to check if my dad needs an ESTA, but maybe someone from here can shed some light, since they might take some time answering the email.

Thank you!

fnAYcYQ.jpg

Timeline
8 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Gee, that’s an ancient visa! I’d suggest he contact the us embassy to check it’s still ok to use ...at face value it should be...

7 minutes ago, D-R-J said:

In an FAQ on travel.state.gov site is says indefinite validity visa are no longer valid.

Thank you both! I sent an email to the embassy, but it seems I have my answer.

Thank you again!

I was about to say that I have never heard of such a thing but it may very well have been something they did in the past. However, times have changed and I am willing to bet his visa is no longer valid. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Yup, seems they all got invalidated in 2004.

its a wonderful memento though, tell your dad to save it anyway :)

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
19 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yup, seems they all got invalidated in 2004.

its a wonderful memento though, tell your dad to save it anyway :)

20 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

I was about to say that I have never heard of such a thing but it may very well have been something they did in the past. However, times have changed and I am willing to bet his visa is no longer valid. 

Oh yeah, it's not valid anymore.

And yeah! My dad has all of his old passports with many stamps! When he was telling me he had a "permanent visa" I didn't believe him, but I guess he was right to his knowledge!

Filed: Timeline

In January 1994, the US changed the definition of "indefinite" -- it became 10 years.  So, all of the visas like this "expired" 10 years from the date of issuance.  If it was already more than 10 years old, it could be used 1 more time within that year.  Was a fun time when thousands and thousands of visas needed to suddenly be issued!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.