Eugenia2017

The Public Charge Rule

11 posts in this topic

We have a 25 - year - old son who was born in the United States and I as a pregnant woman received  wic benefits and my son had the kids Florida as health insurance. Also the last two years I received  help from health insurance marketplace to paid the insurance premium .Now  I'm a citizen, I m going to apply my husband who lives outside the United States and my son will be the affidavit... those benefits seem like a public charge? 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, Eugenia2017 said:

We have a 25 - year - old son who was born in the United States and I as a pregnant woman received  wic benefits and my son had the kids Florida as health insurance. Also the last two years I received  help from health insurance marketplace to paid the insurance premium .Now  I'm a citizen, I m going to apply my husband who lives outside the United States and my son will be the affidavit... those benefits seem like a public charge? 

Maybe rephrase the question.  You receiving WIC benefits 25 years ago, or anything that happened 25 years ago is not relevant now for the affidavit of support.  If your son is qualified to sponsor NOW, your Obamacare subsidies are also irrelevant.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Eugenia2017 said:

That's how you understood that was 25 years ago. I was worried that the subsidies of omabacare were considered Public charge. Thanks

They may be under the new rule, but it was YOU, not your qualified joint sponsor, who received the subsidies.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Yes you are right I will be the petitioner.

What about this “Even if the new rule is finally enacted, expanding the number of government benefits that trigger a denial on public-charge grounds, it won’t penalize applicants for their use of such benefits prior to the Effective Date of the rule.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, PRC Rabbit said:

The new rule goes into effect on October 15, 2019.

Can you apply before then?

Even if she could file the petition before then, (US Citizens don't apply for visas.) is there some reason you don't think the new rule would apply a year or so later, when the affidavits of support go in?  If so, where are you getting that impression?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

2 hours ago, PRC Rabbit said:

The new rule goes into effect on October 15, 2019.

Can you apply before then?

The new rule is a DHS rule. Visas are issued by DOS. Filing the petition with USCIS before a given date won't change any consideration with the public charge rule here.

DOS may or may not adopt some parts of the DHS rule, although the timeline and what parts, if any, would be speculation.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.