Teacake

TN marriage certificate

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Sorry, I saved a screenshot of the attached post on my phone for my own reference but I can’t remember which post I got it from as I had saved it a little while ago.

I took my certified TN marriage certificate back to my county clerk’s office to ask about our certificate. It has a printed blue ink “stamp” (which was not actually stamped by anyone) on it and does not have any affixed gold seal or sticker. The lady at the office said that they don’t do these seals anymore (at least in our county). Will this be an issue during AOS? This is the most official certified MC it seems I can obtain even though it has no sticker.

Also, just to confirm, USCIS does not require an original copy of the MC sent in with the AOS application, right? Just a scanned copy?

Thank you!

1F0A8DC3-25BF-4F74-9254-700C6927C411.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Teacake said:

Hi all,

Sorry, I saved a screenshot of the attached post on my phone for my own reference but I can’t remember which post I got it from as I had saved it a little while ago.

I took my certified TN marriage certificate back to my county clerk’s office to ask about our certificate. It has a printed blue ink “stamp” (which was not actually stamped by anyone) on it and does not have any affixed gold seal or sticker. The lady at the office said that they don’t do these seals anymore (at least in our county). Will this be an issue during AOS? This is the most official certified MC it seems I can obtain even though it has no sticker.

Also, just to confirm, USCIS does not require an original copy of the MC sent in with the AOS application, right? Just a scanned copy?

Thank you!

1F0A8DC3-25BF-4F74-9254-700C6927C411.jpeg

Uscis doesn't require any original documents unless SPECIFICALLY asked for 

YMMV

Did you confirm with your county clerk by showing them your Marriage Certificate or did you just explain?

I originally was sent an MC with a printed ink seal as well and called to confirm that it wasnt correct (they had made an error) so they sent me a copy with a raised seal. 

I'd call them or even better, go in with it and show them. Possibly they could write a statement to ease your mind if that's all they issue.

1 minute ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Did you confirm with your county clerk by showing them your Marriage Certificate or did you just explain?

I originally was sent an MC with a printed ink seal as well and called to confirm that it wasnt correct (they had made an error) so they sent me a copy with a raised seal. 

I'd call them or even better, go in with it and show them. Possibly they could write a statement to ease your mind if that's all they issue.

That was what I did, I brought the MC with me and showed the lady at the desk and asked about MCs with proper seals and she said they don’t do them anymore. :( This is for Tipton County. I’m not sure what I can do now.

If its any help i talked to the head honcho at my clerk's office because i was misinformed by the person that helped me first. Try that and then if still no other option just submit a photocopy. All you can really do.

Just now, K1visaHopeful said:

If its any help i talked to the head honcho at my clerk's office because i was misinformed by the person that helped me first. Try that and then if still no other option just submit a photocopy. All you can really do.

Alright, I’ll see about doing something like that. Thanks for helping!

25 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Do you think if I used my current one, there’s a possibility they could deny my application? Or would they issue an RFE if something with the MC was wrong?

4 minutes ago, Teacake said:

Do you think if I used my current one, there’s a possibility they could deny my application? Or would they issue an RFE if something with the MC was wrong?

They'd issue an RFE.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I'm the OP of your screenshot post (link here: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/703933-tennessee-marriage-certificate/)

I think your stamp should be fine for AOS. If you're really worried, maybe add a statement from your county clerk saying that this is the type of seal they use.

My MC from Vital Records has a red stamp of The Great Seal of the State of Tennessee on the backside, although for AOS I used the one from our county clerk's office that has a raised golden seal.

Edited by Vans

1 minute ago, Vans said:

Hi, I'm the OP of your screenshot post (link here: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/703933-tennessee-marriage-certificate/)

I think your seal should be fine for AOS. If you're really worried, maybe add a statement from your county clerk saying that this is the type of seal they use.

My MC from Vital Records has a red stamp of The Great Seal of the State of Tennessee on the backside, although for AOS I used the one from our county clerk's office that has a raised golden seal.

Thank you, I’ll try to have a look to see what I can do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.