nouri12

one year of Ap and counting

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Never give up !

You have waited a long time but the visa may be right around the corner.

We have been waiting 6 month after the interview and I call DOS every 2-3 weeks

and email the embassy 2 times a month.

I was told by a DOS agent that there is a new congressional stiring to pass a law to not let AP/AR go past a year. I will try to get more info on that but my congressmen was not aware of it and told me to call Washington about this.

I was just about to post a topic about my new outlook on being stuck in this pit

when I saw your post.

Hang on ! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

You're in my prayers. I was just thinking about this whole process today. Its very taxing. Expensive monetarily but more so emotionally. It can really strain relationships as well. Take a moment to relax and approach it in a new way.

Is your senator involved? Call the embassy and ask WHY you're in AP? Maybe you can submitt evidence to strengthen this part of your application. If you can afford it & have time it visit your SO and make an appointment at the Embassy. Can't get an appointment? show up as a US and go to the US Citizens service and tell them what the problem is, insist to see someone. I may be a little naive in making some of these suggestions. Our interview date is 6/26, but I've been pondering how I would handle an AP. No matter what you do, tax a break, relax, and do something nice for your SO- an extra long phone conversation, a carepackage, letter.

-DA

quote name='nouri12' date='Jun 5 2007, 09:15 PM' post='964355']

Hello,

Is there anyone else out there whose case is pending in AP.

I need support, I feel like giving up.

What has AP been like for the both of you. We're you able to inquire about your case, find out why, etc? Is that pretty common in the countries where your SOs live?

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Senators and congressional inquiries are useless, at least under the one year AP.

The embassy only replies with canned general responses and the exact

nature of our AP is confidential.

It is common for 3. world countries to go on AP. Sometimes frequent visits

and being present during the interview may sway the

conoff to not take the case into AP.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

3rd world never gets a break. It sounds like it should violate a law or something not to release information to you about your own case. I'm learning more about immigration that I ever wanted to know. Its enlightening and frustrating.

Senators and congressional inquiries are useless, at least under the one year AP.

The embassy only replies with canned general responses and the exact

nature of our AP is confidential.

It is common for 3. world countries to go on AP. Sometimes frequent visits

and being present during the interview may sway the

conoff to not take the case into AP.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well you are not alone by any means. There are 138,000 people in A/R or A/P. According to the USCIS website 35% have been in A/R or A/P for over a year.

According to the website they are aware of this growing problem and hope to speed it up and make it more trasparent. Hopefully it may help those who follow us.

I have seen one vj'r who has been in A/P for 5 years. I don't think there is any excuse for that.

Once you are in A/P long enough you do have an option for a Writ of Mandamus. Hopefully I spelled that right. It basically forces the government to make a decision. If you are in a district with others in the same boat you could file a joint action. You would need a good attorney who practices federal law.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hello,

I am so sorry to see that you have been on AP for an entire year!! My sister and I were talking about this last night because seeing as my fiance somes from a 3rd world country I am afraid of the possibility of him going on AP indefinitely.

Honestly, what is the point of AP? You would think that if they could not find anything after a month they would abandon it let alone a year!

There has got to be a more efficient way of getting all this done...there has to be.

Just hang in there...we are all here to support you :)

Zee

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Timeline
Well you are not alone by any means. There are 138,000 people in A/R or A/P. According to the USCIS website 35% have been in A/R or A/P for over a year.

According to the website they are aware of this growing problem and hope to speed it up and make it more trasparent. Hopefully it may help those who follow us.

I have seen one vj'r who has been in A/P for 5 years. I don't think there is any excuse for that.

Once you are in A/P long enough you do have an option for a Writ of Mandamus. Hopefully I spelled that right. It basically forces the government to make a decision. If you are in a district with others in the same boat you could file a joint action. You would need a good attorney who practices federal law.

Hi Turbo.. I got back from Algeria after getting married May 16th and getting the denial and every lawyer told me there was no chance of being approved.. Well I came back to an an approval letter dated 6 days after we got married. Now I am in the process of filing a k3 cause my k1 is useless now. I am now using an attorney cause if I had an attorney the first time, he would have done a good job of my imbra letter to begin with. Now I just lost 6 months of my life waiting for absolutely nothing and have to spend tons of money to apply all over again. Hopefully my I 130 will crank along. At least I have a 129F approval to withdraw which is better than a denial which is what it was. I got good advice to file the waiver so I did not end up with a denial.. so when they look at my file, they will see a 129f approval for a fiancee visa with a marriage.. Maybe that will do more to substantiate the relationship. The lawyer seems to think so. All I can do is hope for a speedy I130 approval.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

That has to be frustrating. I would marry my fiancee in a second if it would get her here faster but with my luck when I did the K-3 they would put us back in A/R. Also with my luck as soon as we tied the not the approval would come through on the K-1 as yours did. Well, I hope the K-3 goes fast.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hello,

My case has been pending at vermont in AP since 11-25-05, the initial interview was 7-21-05. Upon each request we

are told to wait adjudication is not finished. Vermont seems to be moving in this area very very, or not at all. From what I have seen the other service handle AP alot quicker.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey everyone. I'm new to this board, but I feel like an "old hand" when it comes to CIS.

Just to give you a background, I am US Citizen and my husband is Palestinian. We were married IN the US in 2001. We filed for I-130 later that year. It was approved, but my husband had an asylum case that was under appeal and had to be dismissed before they would complete the file. His file had become lost in Atlanta and we were still waiting in 2003 for CIS to produce the file so that our attorney could have it dismissed. My husband's mother (whose family had to flee to Morocco) became very ill and he went to see her. Our attorney (since fired) never told us that once my husband left, he would not be able to return. We had to start the process all over by filing for an I-130 and an I-601 since his case was pending, he is subject to the 10 year rule.

Our new attorney really knows his stuff, he is by himself and let me do alot of footwork and paperwork myself to save money. We began the process in August of 2004. Our attorney wrote 3 letters to request transfer to the National Visa Center, but the file was never sent. Even after I went to the local CIS office and they told me TWICE that the file had been sent. It wasn't until I contacted my Congress Rep that they were able to get the file transferred. That wasted 9 months. ***It has been my experience that your Congress Rep can only help you while the file is still in the custody of local and national offices. Once it goes over seas, they can generally only make inquiries. The National Visa center lost paperwork and our attorney's letter of representation. That cost us about 6 months. Finally, the file was transferred to the U.S. Consulate in Morocco. My husband had an interview in February 2006. I had gotten pregnant when I went to visit him the summer of 2005 so I couldn't go to his interview. It was a surprise by the way, because we didn't think I could get pregnant. My husband's file went into the abyss of "Additional Administrative Processing" from February 2006 (they did request another document that had been lost that we had already submitted) until this April. Would you believe that the day of my husband's interview there was a bombing in Casablanca that shut down the Consulate's office. He was actually on the train to go to his interview. The office stayed closed for 2 months. My husband's interview was just this past week. Well over a year from his last interview. We never received any information why his file was on hold and we got no assistance from Congress Rep either.

Fortunately, his interview went as well as could be expected. He was told that the next and final step is for the case to be processed in Rome. The officer told him that it could take anywhere from 4 weeks to 6 months. I've read conflicting reports on the web about it being 7 months, 113 days, a few weeks. Who knows!!!!

I wrote all of that to tell you, you just have to be patient. That is the hardest thing to do, especially being a single mom and missing my husband that I've been with for 7 years, but the Immigration is the biggest mess I've ever encountered. The offices aren't linked together and most of the time, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I can't help think that the fact that my husband is an Arab has made it more difficult. But you are at their mercy. Know that it's happening to thousands of people.

my thoughts to you is to make double copies of EVERYTHING. Keep every receipt, print every email so that when CIS loses something (and they almost always do) you can easily get them another copy.

I hope this helps!

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.