moka17t

petitions for my parents with kids under 21. Help please!!

11 posts in this topic

Hello everybody, I'm a US citizen and I want to bring my Father and mother here to the US. I have a brother and sister who are 15 and 18 years old. 

-Do my brother and sister comes with my parents in the same time? Or they wait until my parents come here first they they apply for them? 

-What papers do I need? Do my mom and dad fill in the same form or two different ones? I'm akind lost 😢 please help!!!! 

Thank you.. 

Edited by moka17t

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
23 minutes ago, moka17t said:

Hello everybody, I'm a US citizen and I want to bring my Father and mother here to the US. I have a brother and sister who are 15 and 18 years old. 

-Do my brother and sister comes with my parents in the same time? Or they wait until my parents come here first they they apply for them? 

-What papers do I need? Do my mom and dad fill in the same form or two different ones? I'm akind lost 😢 please help!!!! 

Thank you.. 

No your parents and siblings can’t come at the same time due to being in different categories. 

Your parents being immediate relatives would get thier visas within 2 years but your siblings have a longer wait somewhere like 7 to 10 years. 

What you can do is file for your parents and when they get thier green cards and come to the US they can then immediately petition for your sister and brother. The problem with this is they would have to leave your siblings behind temporary and the 18 year old sibling will almost certainly age out.

45 minutes ago, azblk said:

Your parents being immediate relatives would get thier visas within 2 years but your siblings have a longer wait somewhere like 7 to 10 years.

The one child would almost certainly fall under F2A w/ a ~2 year wait. The elder may or may not, depending on the visa bulletin at the time & I-130 processing.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

12 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The one child would almost certainly fall under F2A w/ a ~2 year wait. The elder may or may not, depending on the visa bulletin at the time & I-130 processing.

Agree with this timing, the prior poster is referring to an incorrect category wait time.  

If you start filing right now and everything happens as soon as it can the older child may be ok, I wouldn’t delay at all, him being 18 now and 3 years probably being about the shortest possible time to get it all done if you file immediately, and your parents move and file as soon as they can. You may get lucky with a long approval delay helping to protect him via CSPA.

Re leaving kids behind, one or both parents can file for re-entry permits allowing them up to 2 years out the US without jeopardizing their green cards so they can go back home for that amount of time. At the time of the children’s petitions becoming current, they would need to show intent to re-establish domicile in the US and probably get you as a joint sponsor as they won’t have US income; alternatively, one parent can be the sponsoring parent and stay and work in the US while the other goes back if needed to assist the children on a daily basis, until they get their visas.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

The time estimate I put was if the USC sibling petitioned both the parents and siblings.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Neither of those categories is 7-10 years?

If the sibling is the petitioner they are F(4) preference which is currently a 12 year wait.

Edited by azblk

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Agree with this timing, the prior poster is referring to an incorrect category wait time.  

If you start filing right now and everything happens as soon as it can the older child may be ok, I wouldn’t delay at all, him being 18 now and 3 years probably being about the shortest possible time to get it all done if you file immediately, and your parents move and file as soon as they can. You may get lucky with a long approval delay helping to protect him via CSPA.

Re leaving kids behind, one or both parents can file for re-entry permits allowing them up to 2 years out the US without jeopardizing their green cards so they can go back home for that amount of time. At the time of the children’s petitions becoming current, they would need to show intent to re-establish domicile in the US and probably get you as a joint sponsor as they won’t have US income; alternatively, one parent can be the sponsoring parent and stay and work in the US while the other goes back if needed to assist the children on a daily basis, until they get their visas.

Thanks for the answer!!!! I have a question about my brother who is over 21 and he is NOT married. Does it affect him if he gets married in the future? And can I apply for my brother who is married and have kids? 

Thank you!! 

2 hours ago, azblk said:

No your parents and siblings can’t come at the same time due to being in different categories. 

What you can do is file for your parents and when they get thier green cards and come to the US they can then immediately petition for your sister and brother. The problem with this is they would have to leave your siblings behind temporary and the 18 year old sibling will almost certainly age out.

Thank you for the answer!!! 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, moka17t said:

Thanks for the answer!!!! I have a question about my brother who is over 21 and he is NOT married. Does it affect him if he gets married in the future? And can I apply for my brother who is married and have kids? 

Thank you!! 

Yes you can file for your siblings. It doesn’t matter if they are married or not. Their wait times are very long though currently about 13 years.

3 hours ago, azblk said:

If the sibling is the petitioner they are F(4) preference which is currently a 12 year wait.

It’s 13 actually, which is also not 7-10. Hence the point that the number you mentioned was not linked to any applicable category.  And there is a much faster route available anyway so why would they go this one?

Edited by SusieQQQ

3 hours ago, moka17t said:

Thank you!! 

Thank you for the answer!!! 

Brother over 21 can be applied for by lpr parent, currently a 5-6 year wait, but he has to stay single for that. You can apply for married siblings under the F4 sibling category, 13 year wait. Both these wait times may lengthen in future. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.