Vabsmith

sample explanation of name change

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am the USC looking to submit the I-129f petition.

My fiance has a current legal  name which is completely different than what is on her divorce decree.

She took a different first name and her husband's last name during the period of her marriage and now she is back to using her maiden name.

I want to submit a statement of explanation for this name change along with a government gazette circular that shows her name change from the husband's name to the maiden name.

Are there any sample name change letters?

Does this have to be a court affidavit or just a letter written by her shall be suffice along  with a copy of the government gazette circular?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can explain on a separate sheet when telling your story

But if you look at the I 129 and section for beneficary,  question 3 says to list all other names she has used

I'm not familiar with the legal name change process in India. But any documentation of a legal name change that doesn't match the I-129F or her documentation should be provided. I don't have info on what qualifies as a valid name change document in India (divorce decree note it? just using the maiden name after divorce?), sorry.

if you want, I can move the thread to the India regional forum and hopefully somebody more familiar with the process there can chime in.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

You can explain on a separate sheet when telling your story

But if you look at the I 129 and section for beneficary,  question 3 says to list all other names she has used

I see. So you are saying i can attach a separate sheet signed by her- explaining the name change . Also I will mention her earlier name on the form I-129. 

Timeline
45 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I'm not familiar with the legal name change process in India. But any documentation of a legal name change that doesn't match the I-129F or her documentation should be provided. I don't have info on what qualifies as a valid name change document in India (divorce decree note it? just using the maiden name after divorce?), sorry.

if you want, I can move the thread to the India regional forum and hopefully somebody more familiar with the process there can chime in.

Thanks Geowrian. Yes can you please move it there? 

* Moved from K-1 P&P to India regional forum for more specific answers about name changes in India *

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
8 hours ago, Vabsmith said:

I see. So you are saying i can attach a separate sheet signed by her- explaining the name change . Also I will mention her earlier name on the form I-129. 

yes,  mention it in your cover story that you will send with the I 129 but question 3 on her bio asks for all names previously used 

this is maiden name,  and  married names and any name she changed legally in the court for other reasons

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.