bandito

Packet 3???

8 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, bandito said:

What is packet 3? What does the timeline mean when it says "Packet 3 sent", do we need to send it back to the embassy? who receives packet 3, the petitioner or the beneficiary? what is packet 4?

Packet 3 was emailed to me (USC petitioner) after our approved petition was received by the Auckland consulate.  It contained forms and information for my fiancé for the consular stage, so I forwarded it all to him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Packet 3 is the envelope you receive from the embassy providing instructions for K1 visa applicants once the case file has been received at the embassy from NVC. It gives you your case number (starts LND). Packet 4 is an appointment packet but that's irrelevant for UK applicants as that stage is all done online now.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Just now, fip & jim said:

Packet 3 is the envelope you receive from the embassy providing instructions for K1 visa applicants once the case file has been received at the embassy from NVC. It gives you your case number (starts LND). Packet 4 is an appointment packet but that's irrelevant for UK applicants as that stage is all done online now.

okay, does the petitioner or the beneficiary receive packet 3? and do we need to send anything back with packet 3? it says on the visajourney timeline "Packet 3 sent" and I just don't know what that means. Thanks!

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

Timeline
11 minutes ago, mogiftney said:

okay, does the petitioner or the beneficiary receive packet 3? and do we need to send anything back with packet 3? it says on the visajourney timeline "Packet 3 sent" and I just don't know what that means. Thanks!

The beneficiary receives a physical copy in the mail. The petitioner receives some of the information prior to that via their email. The packet has more information in it though, like your case number and your rights as an immigrant and instructions for booking the medical and embassy appointment. 

You don't have to send anything back. You make an online account once you've got your London case number. You book your medical. You need to leave at least 10 days between your medical appointment and the embassy appointment if you're ready to book them once you've got a case number. You need an ACRO police certificate which can take a couple of weeks. If your petition has been approved then I'd get on with applying for an ACRO now while you wait for the embassy packet. You need the ACRO certificate for the medical and the embassy interview. 

If your unsure of this part of the process here's the flow chart: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow/

Step 10 is not applicable for UK applicants. That's done online now, as previously mentioned. 

Edited by fip & jim
Clarifying the applicable steps for UK

Timeline

Each consulate has their procedures for this stage. You have to make sure the advice pertains to the country you're in for this part. The embassy in another country will have different procedures. That's why packet 4 is on VJ timelines - some embassies do require information to be physically sent. London doesn't. For this stage you need the correct information for Knightsbridge and UK US Embassy. 

Packet 3 is not a physical paper packet for all consulates, and in our case it was only emailed to the petitioner.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, bandito said:

What is packet 3? What does the timeline mean when it says "Packet 3 sent", do we need to send it back to the embassy? who receives packet 3, the petitioner or the beneficiary? what is packet 4?

That's some really old K1 terminology lingering in the VJ timelines.  Many years ago it was a large packet of papers from the embassy to the beneficiary (Packet 3 received). It was instructions and 4 separate paper forms to fill in and mail back via snail mail.  (Packet 3 sent...forms sent to embassy).

Packet 4 was the interview letter from the embassy telling you the interview date they had assigned you.

What people put in those fields on the timeline is a mash up because it doesn't exactly make sense anymore. Packet 3 received is presumably now the date the Beneficiary receives the letter of instruction From London. But people who pay attention and learn in this forum know you don't even need that letter and they already know where to find the K1 instructions and forms online on the London embassy website.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.