Janey13

N-400 Name Change from married back to legal name on birth certificate

13 posts in this topic

Hello VJ Friends!  This always seems to be the best place to get the correct answers and guidance on things.  Here's my situation, I'll put it in point form, easier to read.

1. Ready to apply for the N400.

2. When I applied for my Permanent Resident Card I submitted my marriage certificate, thereby using my husband's last name.

3. In the last 8 years, changed everything to his last name, Canadian passport, all bank accounts in the US, and my SS card.

4. Hadn't gotten around to changing my name in Canada, still have bank accounts and locked in retirement accounts there and my name for SIN in Canada is my legal name on my birth certificate.

5. Now I want to change everything back to my birth certificate/legal name when I do the N400.

6. I always thought your married name was NOT your legal name, just assumed name due to marriage which you prove with the marriage certificate. 

7. Because I have my husband's name on my Green Card, do they consider this my legal name?

8. NOTE: I legally changed my name in Ontario after my divorce, saying I wouldn't get married again but didn't want to live with my ex's last name for the rest of my life.  Then I met an American and lo and behold, married again!  So I applied for a new birth certificate and that is now my legally changed name.

9. So for example, not the real names, I was born SMITH, then I changed to JONES (legal through the courts), got married to a US Citizen, changed it to his last name HOLMES.  So my Green Card is in HOLMES but I want it and everything else, including SS card, etc to go back to JONES.

10. Should I be checking off the YES box on the question on the N400 asking if I want to legally change my name?  I'm not really doing that, I already have my birth certificate/legal name as JONES, and I just want to go back to this, it's not a new legal name.

11. I'm just so confused and I know I'm causing a lot of confusion with going back and forth but it's what I want to do and I just want to know what to do.

12. Can I get my SS card in the US changed back to the JONES name or will they not because my Green Card still says HOLMES.

Any guidance anyone can give me would be so appreciated.  I was thinking I could write up a document of my names and when they changed and why (marriage, legal name change) and just stating the name I want to go by. 

Thank you all my VJ friends!!

2 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Apply in your newest name

Hello, Thank you.  I will apply in my most recent name, my married name.  Should I then say "yes" for a legal name change (question 4 on the N-400).  I want to go back to my name on my birth certificate which is not the name on my Green Card.  Thank you.

Hi, thanks for your reply.  No not divorced, took married name when I applied for the Green Card but now as I'm applying for Naturalization (N400) I want to stop using my married name and change  everything back.  Reason is in Canada nothing is in my married name, I have to change it all there or here in the US, for example banks want me to go in person.  I don't go back to Canada so decided to change back to name prior to getting married.  So still happily married, just want to be known as the name before I got married.  thank you for any advice or guidance.  I wonder if I call USCIS if they can guide me on this prior to submitting the final documentation for the N400.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
7 hours ago, Janey13 said:

Hi, thanks for your reply.  No not divorced, took married name when I applied for the Green Card but now as I'm applying for Naturalization (N400) I want to stop using my married name and change  everything back.  Reason is in Canada nothing is in my married name, I have to change it all there or here in the US, for example banks want me to go in person.  I don't go back to Canada so decided to change back to name prior to getting married.  So still happily married, just want to be known as the name before I got married.  thank you for any advice or guidance.  I wonder if I call USCIS if they can guide me on this prior to submitting the final documentation for the N400.

Just tell the officer at the interview you want to revert to your maiden name.I did it at my interview since I my husband is deceased.Its not a legal name change that needs to be done in the courthouse.So on my certificate it will only have my maiden name.Hope this helps to answer your question.

6 hours ago, jamrep said:

Just tell the officer at the interview you want to revert to your maiden name.I did it at my interview since I my husband is deceased.Its not a legal name change that needs to be done in the courthouse.So on my certificate it will only have my maiden name.Hope this helps to answer your question.

Hello jamrep, First of all, my sincere condolences on the loss of your husband.  Thank you so much, yes this helps a lot!  However, I'm wondering, since I'm still married if it would work the same way.  Perhaps your situation was different due to your husband's death.  I wonder if I call the USCIS office (I know you're on hold for a long time, but I can just take the phone iwht me from room to room) if they would be able to direct me in some way if I give them my situation/scenario.  But I know what you're saying and it totally makes sense, it's NOT a legal name change, I'm just wishing to use my previous name which is on my birth certificate not my current married name.  Thank you again.  Everyone here is so helpful!  It's much appreciated.  This stuff can be so confusing and so overwhelming.

10 hours ago, Janey13 said:

Hello K1visa Hopeful, Why was this moved?  I guess I don't know where I should be posting these, of course I want it in the most visible/best place so I can get answers to my questions. Thank you for your help.

Because you had posted it in a K1 AOS forum while your questions are about how you will change your name during citizenship. You are past the K1 AOS phase and have your GC and are applying for citizenship. This forum is more relevant.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your married name is more of an assumed name. It's not a legal name change as going to court to change your name. Going to court allows you to change your name on your birth certificate, assuming your spouse's last name does not give you that ability. You can just start using your maiden name and getting your ID and such changed back. Sometimes places like the DMV and SSN think you need to have a divorce order allowing the change but that is not required. So fill out the forms with your maiden name and you can clarify with the IO that you will be going back to your maiden name. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:24 PM, Ontarkie said:

Your married name is more of an assumed name. It's not a legal name change as going to court to change your name. Going to court allows you to change your name on your birth certificate, assuming your spouse's last name does not give you that ability. You can just start using your maiden name and getting your ID and such changed back. Sometimes places like the DMV and SSN think you need to have a divorce order allowing the change but that is not required. So fill out the forms with your maiden name and you can clarify with the IO that you will be going back to your maiden name. 

Thank you so much!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.