Jump to content
Iron & Wizer

Abandonment of Permanent Residence, Filing Form I-407 and being able to visit the US

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts



I am a Canadian who decided to move back to Canada after obtaining my permanent residence status. I did not want to live in the US, I couldn't adjust down there.

January 31st, 2019 is when I had my interview and got approved. A month later, at the end of February, I moved back to Canada alone. My husband and I will be divorcing, I just haven't done the paperwork yet but I will start in the next week.


Since I immigrated down there, I am not no longer part of the Visa Waiver Program I think? I'm wondering on how to go about getting a visitors visa, or what else I can do to visit down there. I'd still love to vacation to the US, since it's our neighbour and all that. Is it a B2 visa I apply for? Do send out the I-407 at the same time as I apply for the B2? Or do I do one first, and then the other?


I had consulted with an immigration lawyer in the US before I came back to Canada, and he said to make an appointment at the US Embassy here and do both with the same officer at the same time. But I cannot find any options online or anything to make an appointment for either abandoning my status, or applying for a B2 visa. I have read that I can only mail in my form I-407.

Should I go to a border crossing and surrender my greencard there? I wouldn't want to cross at all, but would they think I am crossing and would it complicate things further for me?


Also, the immigration officer said I had to apply to remove my conditional greencard to a non-conditional one 2 years after my marriage date, which was yesterday. But everywhere I look up/ask, it says 2 years from getting the greencard.


Thank you very much.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Canadians are not part of the Visa Waiver Programme.


You have mentioned nothing to suggest you can not visit as you did before.


I would thing mailing it in would be easiest.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Iron & Wizer said:

I'm wondering on how to go about getting a visitors visa, or what else I can do to visit down there. I'd still love to vacation to the US, since it's our neighbour and all that. Is it a B2 visa I apply for?

If you are a Canadian citizen---you would continue to use your Canadian passport to travel.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Canada is not part of the VWP. They use a separate program for visitors.

2) I am unaware of anything automatically disqualifying you from visiting again just like other Canadians (once LPR status is formally abandoned).

3) The I-407 can be submitted at a US embassy or consulate.

4) A B-2 is a typical tourist visa. To apply, you file an DS-160, pay the fee, and interview. Although, as noted, I don't believe there is a need for a B-2 here.



AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received





12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received



4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017



5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 6:29 PM, geowrian said:

3) The I-407 can be submitted at a US embassy or consulate.

Updated policy: https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis-will-no-longer-accept-i-407-international-field-offices

"Individuals who wish to voluntarily record abandonment of their lawful permanent resident (LPR) status must submit Form I-407 via mail to: USCIS Eastern Forms Center"

"In very rare circumstances, a U.S. embassy, U.S. consulate, or USCIS international field office may accept a Form I-407 in person if an individual needs immediate proof that they have abandoned LPR status."

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...