Prads

Help with Indian renunciation form

64 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
35 minutes ago, TRAVS said:

Did you submit your "Renunciation Form" in addition to "Renunciation Certificate"?

You have to.

funny thing is I don't remember submitting the no. 2 pdf I mention below, and my application went through... 

Download the forms here one by one and wait till the PDF is downloaded

1517050985_ScreenShot2019-12-25at9_09_04PM.png.00866b12865fe98136029e1defc99cf7.png

I created a folder and added files in it as follows: The order of the files is the same as mentioned in the checklist.

No. - Count - Document name
01 - 2x - Renunciation Certificate.pdf
02 - 2x - Renunciation Form.pdf
03 - 1x -  Document Checklist.pdf
04 - 1x - Additional Particular Form.pdf
05 - 1x -  Naturalization_Certificate_2019-05-01.pdf
06 - 1x - Indian Passport COPY.pdf
07 - 1x - Indian Passport ORIGINAL.txt
08 - 1x - US_Passport COPY.pdf
09 - 1x - Proof of Address (Electricity).pdf
10 - 1x - Payment Reciept_IXXXXXXXXXXXXX.pdf

48 minutes ago, TRAVS said:

addition to the FedEx Shipping label, I also got a Renunciation Bar Code. And instructions say "Please completely paste outside on envelope. Only one Application can be used for one barcode." So I am guessing this Bar Code needs to be pasted outside on the FedEx envelope. Is that right?

Yes, I taped it below the shipping label, see example(I used a PDF editor to make my life easy but you can just tape it):

1879230725_ScreenShot2019-12-25at9_15_44PM.thumb.jpg.9b846d779d15ed0280930c6d554f83ff.jpg

56 minutes ago, TRAVS said:

Checklist - Do I need to sign the checklist? I don't see any check-boxes to mark each item as enclosed and there is no place to sign on the checklist either.

No no need to sign, but to make their life easier, I highlighted the docs that are relevant and I had attached for the application with a highlighter.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks @saladboye for your help.

I received my Renunciation Certificate today. Time to submit OCI application next. 

Below is the Renunciation timeline as a reference for others filing with CKGS San Francisco

image.png.ff4342f00e97561d32f03cd4ae7bdc25.png

Date Activity
30-Dec Dropped of Application at FedEx Pleasanton CA
31-Dec Application Package Delivered @ CKGS San Francisco
31-Dec Verified @ CKGS San Francisco
31-Dec In transit to Consulate
2-Jan Under Process at Consulate
15-Jan In transit to CKGS San Francisco
16-Jan Renunciation Certificate ‘Received’ at CKGS
20-Jan Renunciation Certificate picked up by FedEx
21-Jan Renunciation Certificate Received. Package includes

1. Passport has stamp "Passport Cancelled as Acquired US Nationality" dated Jan 09, 2020

2. Renunciation Certificate (One of the copies I sent with my application) signed and stamped

Edited by TRAVS

• 5 months later...
Filed: Timeline

@Prads Hello! I noticed you have been through the process of applying for renunciation. I'm reaching out with a few questions as I'm struggling with the online renunciation form, San Francisco location. I hope you can remember and I'd appreciate it if you can guide me here!

I received my U.S passport after acquiring citizenship, now I'm not sure about 2 sections which are confusing:

1. Are you a US National   OR  Non - US National     (Image below)           Which one did you select? 
(If I select Non- US National , there are 2 dropdown menus that appear I find this confusing and not sure what im selecting as first dropdown doesn't display united states nor india - https://www.in.ckgs.us/renunciation/renunciation-getstarted)

2. Expiration of Indian Passport - Indian Passport has DD/MM/YYYY format while others have MM/DD/YYYY format. Did this go through without any issues for you?

Also, I made a mistake on this form filling it out a few weeks ago, i didnt submit it and starting a new one. Hoping that wont be an issue.

Thanks,

Manjiri

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 10.02.33 AM.png

Edited by acha

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 7/6/2020 at 10:10 AM, acha said:

@Prads Hello! I noticed you have been through the process of applying for renunciation. I'm reaching out with a few questions as I'm struggling with the online renunciation form, San Francisco location. I hope you can remember and I'd appreciate it if you can guide me here!

I received my U.S passport after acquiring citizenship, now I'm not sure about 2 sections which are confusing:

1. Are you a US National   OR  Non - US National     (Image below)           Which one did you select? 
(If I select Non- US National , there are 2 dropdown menus that appear I find this confusing and not sure what im selecting as first dropdown doesn't display united states nor india - https://www.in.ckgs.us/renunciation/renunciation-getstarted)

2. Expiration of Indian Passport - Indian Passport has DD/MM/YYYY format while others have MM/DD/YYYY format. Did this go through without any issues for you?

Also, I made a mistake on this form filling it out a few weeks ago, i didnt submit it and starting a new one. Hoping that wont be an issue.

Thanks,

Manjiri

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 10.02.33 AM.png

Sorry if you already submitted. I recently did mine and CKGS just sent to embassy yesterday. 1. US national.

2. Fill the expiration dates like CKGS website has it and not like we do back in India. 

I-90 Green Card Timeline

05/29/2014: Applied for I-90, Due to an Name Error.

06/12/2014: Biometrics Appointment

02/13/2015: Green Card Was Ordered To Be Produced

02/20/2015: Green Card Has Been Mailed.(Received Tracking Number)

02/23/2015: Green Card Received With Correct Name

N-400 Citizenship Timeline

07/05/2012 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

01/11/2015 = Sent N-400 Packet (to Phoenix Lockbox Facility via USPS Certified Mail)

01/15/2015 = N-400 Packet Delivered

01/27/2015 = I-912 Approved

02/02/2015 = NOA1 Received (Priority Date 01/15/2015)

02/07/2015 = Biometrics Letter Received (Bio Set for 02/20/2015)

02/25/2015 = In Line for Interview

04/03/2015 = Interview Completed

--- = Oath Letter Received

04/15/2015 = Oath Ceremony!

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

06/02/2020 - Filed I-130 Online

06/02/2020 - NOA1 Received

07/01/2020 - Back to U.S from India 

01/11/2021 - NOA2 Received & Petition Approved

2 hours ago, Jot18 said:

Sorry if you already submitted. I recently did mine and CKGS just sent to embassy yesterday. 1. US national.

2. Fill the expiration dates like CKGS website has it and not like we do back in India. 

Thank You, Jot! I have 2 more questions:

1) Also, for shipping from ...Me to CKGS - I would like to use USPS  2 day shipping to save some money. If you shipped using USPS or another service, Did you just enter the AWB (routing #) in the box , this part is confusing as the first select drop down menu is disabled and cannot be clicked (image below). I don't want them to deny it due to something so small. 

2) Money Order - I had already prepared a money order for $195 prior to starting the form as that was suggested on their site. However, as I come closer to payment and want to add their service fedex to receive docs back from them its an additional charge. Will another money order for $15 work (basically sending 2 MO checks) or do I need to redo and send one MO check.

Just me venting....This is the worst site ever! LIke it was build 20yrs ago besides they are taking so much money in fees why cant they just hire a proper agency to do their website! 

Please advise.

Thanks again,

M

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 3.19.32 PM.png

Timeline
13 minutes ago, acha said:

Thank You, Jot! I have 2 more questions:

1) Also, for shipping from ...Me to CKGS - I would like to use USPS  2 day shipping to save some money. If you shipped using USPS or another service, Did you just enter the AWB (routing #) in the box , this part is confusing as the first select drop down menu is disabled and cannot be clicked (image below). I don't want them to deny it due to something so small. 

2) Money Order - I had already prepared a money order for $195 prior to starting the form as that was suggested on their site. However, as I come closer to payment and want to add their service fedex to receive docs back from them its an additional charge. Will another money order for $15 work (basically sending 2 MO checks) or do I need to redo and send one MO check.

Just me venting....This is the worst site ever! LIke it was build 20yrs ago besides they are taking so much money in fees why cant they just hire a proper agency to do their website! 

Please advise.

Thanks again,

M

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 3.19.32 PM.png

I just didn't bother using my own labels due to their outdated/weird instructions. I just paid $15 for to and $15 for return. After that when I finished the application, I received a shipping label. CKGS instructions are probably the worst I've seen in the recent years. For the money order if you didn't write any names and I would cash it and just send one money order. If you need more help you can PM for something you don't want to post here. Btw I paid $475+ another $8.50 for FedEx label to resend a form with correct father name .I lost my renunciation certificate that I got back in 2015. I had to pay $250 extra due to renouncing after 3 years of becoming US Citizen.

Edited by Jot18

I-90 Green Card Timeline

07/05/2012 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

01/11/2015 = Sent N-400 Packet (to Phoenix Lockbox Facility via USPS Certified Mail)

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

@acha Hi Manjiri

Apologize for the delay, missed this notification. Sounds like you got answers for your 1st query.

Regarding the post, I simply picked the most normal selection i.e Fedex I think, was around $15 for each way, that was the least stressful part for me.

Already this form and associated questions errors cause so much stress so I decided to not worry about the cost. 

I also ended up creating another form to submit, they pick up the latest one for renunciation.

On 7/17/2020 at 9:00 AM, Jot18 said:

I just didn't bother using my own labels due to their outdated/weird instructions. I just paid $15 for to and $15 for return. After that when I finished the application, I received a shipping label. CKGS instructions are probably the worst I've seen in the recent years. For the money order if you didn't write any names and I would cash it and just send one money order. If you need more help you can PM for something you don't want to post here. Btw I paid $475+ another $8.50 for FedEx label to resend a form with correct father name .I lost my renunciation certificate that I got back in 2015. I had to pay $250 extra due to renouncing after 3 years of becoming US Citizen.

@PradsThanks! Thats awful, sorry to hear that! They are really ruthless and dumb with how they've created this site, probably hired some web developer for dirt cheap and taking exorbitant amount for just a stamp on a piece of printed paper.  

I have one more question, I selected shipping both ways from CKGS $15 and then when I hit submit and came to the payment page it displayed $195 (image below) instead of $225 not showing my selection for shipping. I've emailed CKGS with this question but they are 2-3 weeks behind in replying, not sure if you can guide me but should I fill out a form again even if I have clicked submit prior to filling out payment info? OR wait for them to get back?

Is the OCI process as painful, assuming you have it? 

Thanks again!!

M

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 10.21.40 AM.png

@acha never a dull moment with their forms eh ? haha.

Looks like now you see a page which disappeared on me. My husband had just filled up the renun form a day before me and he could enter the money order/ CC details like the screenshot you have here.

Next day, I didnt even get to see this page, I think they must've released a new version and couldnt get to it, so I raised query and they said, you are confirmed, just attach it to the application while posting.

Anyways, back to your question, I was trying to login and see but its not recognizing my id currently.

I do have an acknowledgement in the email(which you can send to yourself or print later once submitted). Check the screenshot.

So ideally you should see something like this.

I would suggest start over and see if it shows this time.

image.png.be912d41a07a4907e0905a8c8e96a647.png

Regarding OCI, dont worry about it right now. I think we start off with a lot of grudge and that makes it harder.

Just try to get everything mentioned in the checklist. Let me know if you are stuck there.

For me, I did have one issue, I did get signature and images in the size recommended but didnt check if the sign looked legible. It was very small. I simply saw the form come together with the photo and sign below it.

So make sure that once you upload and review the form which shows the photograph and the signature below, it is legible.

They asked me to resend the form with new signature, so had to send another quick usps one day courier(~$7-8). I was on vacation for a week so totally got worked up thinking it would be late by the time I come home and then send, as they mention that you've to submit within 5 days after they send request. But when I called, they assured me it wont matter.

Rest was all fine. It took around 3 months I think.

P

1 hour ago, Prads said:

@acha never a dull moment with their forms eh ? haha.

Looks like now you see a page which disappeared on me. My husband had just filled up the renun form a day before me and he could enter the money order/ CC details like the screenshot you have here.

Next day, I didnt even get to see this page, I think they must've released a new version and couldnt get to it, so I raised query and they said, you are confirmed, just attach it to the application while posting.

Anyways, back to your question, I was trying to login and see but its not recognizing my id currently.

I do have an acknowledgement in the email(which you can send to yourself or print later once submitted). Check the screenshot.

So ideally you should see something like this.

I would suggest start over and see if it shows this time.

image.png.be912d41a07a4907e0905a8c8e96a647.png

Regarding OCI, dont worry about it right now. I think we start off with a lot of grudge and that makes it harder.

Just try to get everything mentioned in the checklist. Let me know if you are stuck there.

For me, I did have one issue, I did get signature and images in the size recommended but didnt check if the sign looked legible. It was very small. I simply saw the form come together with the photo and sign below it.

So make sure that once you upload and review the form which shows the photograph and the signature below, it is legible.

They asked me to resend the form with new signature, so had to send another quick usps one day courier(~$7-8). I was on vacation for a week so totally got worked up thinking it would be late by the time I come home and then send, as they mention that you've to submit within 5 days after they send request. But when I called, they assured me it wont matter.

Rest was all fine. It took around 3 months I think.

P

@Prads Thank you v much for your time on this, you've been helpful!

Yes I actually saw the shipping fee included in step 4 which disappeared in step 5. I'll just wait till CKGS replies to my query. I didnt see any mention of including a photograph, perhaps things have changed since you applied. Its crazy it took 3 months for it to arrive. :)

Thanks again,

M

Timeline
10 hours ago, acha said:

@PradsThanks! Thats awful, sorry to hear that! They are really ruthless and dumb with how they've created this site, probably hired some web developer for dirt cheap and taking exorbitant amount for just a stamp on a piece of printed paper.  

I have one more question, I selected shipping both ways from CKGS $15 and then when I hit submit and came to the payment page it displayed $195 (image below) instead of $225 not showing my selection for shipping. I've emailed CKGS with this question but they are 2-3 weeks behind in replying, not sure if you can guide me but should I fill out a form again even if I have clicked submit prior to filling out payment info? OR wait for them to get back?

Is the OCI process as painful, assuming you have it? 

Thanks again!!

M

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 10.21.40 AM.png

I don't have OCI yet. I am waiting on the renunciation certificate then I'll be applying for OCI. I tried doing OCI application last week to have it ready and I couldn't get past the first page. It keep saying choose your application center but doesn't give the option. I believe you can still redo your application start filling out the same details when it asks you to continue with your previous app, just say no and continue with new application. The shipping screen is hard to navigate.I emailed CKGS last week regarding a hold and haven't received a response other than auto reply. So I just fixed the form and sent it. The CKGS website needs some work done.

Edited by Jot18

I-90 Green Card Timeline

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Prads said:

@Jot18 Sorry didnt understand your question?

You can only apply for OCI once you've completed your renunciation in SFO.

Some other places they allow for both together.

I know I can't apply together for OCI+Renunciation. I was trying to have paper work ready and once I get renunciation certificate I was going to ship OCI application. Due to a bug on the application, I can't get past the first screen when it tells us to chose application center like SF, NY etc. Not sure if its fixed now. CKGS received my app on Jul 8.

Edited by Jot18

I-90 Green Card Timeline

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.