Crawty27

Spouse visa Out of country [merged threads]

9 posts in this topic

Hello Everybody!

My name is Tyler. I am wanting to find out some information regarding the Spouse Visa.

Me and my wife both live abroad outside the united states in Germany and she is German. And we are about to begin the process for her to be able to come live in the United States. Ive searched everywhere to find information for my situation but have had no luck. So i was hoping somebody here would be able to help me out. Right now we are both trying to decide if we should apply for the Spouse visa here in Germany or is it best that i go back to the States before her and then apply for the Visa. As it would be easier for me to be able to support her better if i was in the states than being here in Germany. Because i have accommodations to move to the dream location that we both want to live at in the future. And how long was the process in your case? and how did you do it and were you both living abroad or he/she was abroad and you were in the States? Thank you for the help! :)

You can start the process when you inside or outside of the US, makes no difference. What you will need to do, however, by the time she has her interview is either already have relocated yourself back to the US or demonstrate that you are making concrete plans to move back (job applications, etc). If you don't have a US income by then, you will need a joint sponsor (unless you have considerable assets). If you are already in the US and working and making enough, you won't need a joint sponsor. 

When are you planning to move? If you are a legal resident of Germany (and not just visiting), and you are quick about it you would be able to file through the USCIS office in Germany and cut the processing time considerably. The processing time filed through the USCIS lock boxes in the US takes 12-14 months. Filing through an overseas office takes less than 6 months usually. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Thank you for the help!!!.  So once we turn in the petition here in Germany. i the U.S citizen can move back to the states to start preparing everything for her to make it as easy as possible for her to transition to the United States? When i move to the States before she has her interview. Do i need to inform USCIS about me changing my address since i moved to the states before her?  Im a student and currently dont have alot of income. As if i was living in the states i could get a better paying job. and i plan to move as soon as we get a confirmation that the petition is accepted after we have sent it off. 

Hello Everybody!

My name is Tyler i am 27 years old. I am wanting to find out some information regarding the Spouse Visa.

I am currently living in Germany with my wife and we are about to fill out the petition and send it off but unfortunately when it comes to the employment section. i am having trouble. i do understand the question that it ask. but i am currently unemployed do to the government immigration process here in Germany as it is very complicated to get a job because companies do not want to wait for the process with the immigration office, i am a Student also. I do have a 6 month visa that allows me to stay here and look for jobs but since we got married we have decided that we want to go to America because it is both our dream to live there and start a family. When i put unemployed will that effect the petition from getting approved? my plan is after the petition has been approved i would move to the states before her and get a job and get everything set up and prepared for her so that she has a easier transition into the United States. is this allowed for me to do that? and when i get to the states will i have to inform USCIS?  Thank you for the help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Are you a USC? If so, you can petition your wife and then move back to the US and establish domicile (it's the easiest way to do it) and prove you can support her.

If you are a citizen you don't have to inform USCIS that you are moving.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Crawty27 said:

I am a USC. and when i get to the United States how do i go about informing USCIS that i can support her (I-864)? would i need to send a file back to Frankfurt where we filed the petition? Thank you for the help

Petition was filed with the uscis office in Frankfurt.   The i864 will be presented at the interview and will be incorporated in the alien's immigration file, no further action required by you after arrival on this matter 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Similar-themed threads have been merged.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• TBoneTX changed the title to Spouse visa Out of country [merged threads]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.