Sunfl0wer

Filing I130 in person - expedited

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A question for those who have been approved for exceptional circumstances. The petitioner gets an appointment to file the I130 it seems like, after that happens, does the beneficiary go for the interview At a later date? Anyone know a timeline for this type of situation?  

The beneficiary gets interviewed after the petition is accepted and adjudicated.

27 minutes ago, Sunfl0wer said:

Anyone know a timeline for this type of situation?  

It is similar to a stateside filing except you skip the NVC.

You need to email the IV unit at the consulate and after they agree to accept the petition you follow the instructions to either hand deliver or mail it it.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

If the USCIS office decides to accept the I-130, they will adjudicate it. This is not instant - it's quick in immigration terms (especially compared to filing domestically), but you're still likely looking at an order of magnitude of weeks to months.

The interview at the consulate will be later. I believe Montreal is a bit backed up right now, too.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

They asked which consulate would be closest to our home, so this would just be for Filing? Interviews,all still happen in Montreal? Is that correct?

Timeline
8 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

The beneficiary gets interviewed after the petition is accepted and adjudicated.

It is similar to a stateside filing except you skip the NVC.

You need to email the IV unit at the consulate and after they agree to accept the petition you follow the instructions to either hand deliver or mail it it.

They are giving him an appointment so I assume that's the hand delivery of the petition? Our first I130 timeline was looking at 12 months I assume for just the petition so it will still be that long? Sorry this is so confusing since that wasn't including nvc onward was my understanding?

3 hours ago, Sunfl0wer said:

They asked which consulate would be closest to our home, so this would just be for Filing? Interviews,all still happen in Montreal? Is that correct?

The I-130 would be filed with the USCIS office with jurisdiction over the country. For Canada, that's the Mexico City field office (yes, in Mexico - this is "exceptional circumstances").

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/mexico-uscis-mexico-city-field-office

I-130

Who May File or Receive Service:

U.S. citizens residing in one of the Mexican states in this office’s jurisdiction filing on behalf of their spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21 or parent (if the U.S. citizen is 21 years of age or older).

U.S. citizens residing in Canada may file with the Department of State only if the USCIS Mexico City field office director determines that there are exceptional circumstances.

Interviews for an immigrant visa in Canada are always with Montreal. Nowhere else in Canada handles those cases.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

It says if our appointment is scheduled at another Consulate in Canada not Montreal to bring a Canada Post National express post envelope so they must be processing us in Canada somewhere. I assumed Toronto. We applied for exceptional circumstances directly to the Montreal office not mexico.

7 minutes ago, Sunfl0wer said:

It says if our appointment is scheduled at another Consulate in Canada not Montreal to bring a Canada Post National express post envelope so they must be processing us in Canada somewhere. I assumed Toronto. We applied for exceptional circumstances directly to the Montreal office not mexico.

Your I-130 will be collected at a Consulate in Canada but adjudicated by the USCIS Field Office in Mexico City.

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/mexico-uscis-mexico-city-field-office

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

40 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Your I-130 will be collected at a Consulate in Canada but adjudicated by the USCIS Field Office in Mexico City.

It will actually be adjudicated in Canada by the State Department (i.e. embassy/consulate). The embassy has first got to get permission to do this from the USCIS office in Mexico City.

All contact the OP will have will be with the embassy.

17 hours ago, Sunfl0wer said:

A question for those who have been approved for exceptional circumstances. The petitioner gets an appointment to file the I130 it seems like, after that happens, does the beneficiary go for the interview At a later date? Anyone know a timeline for this type of situation?  

Providing they approve the exceptional circumstances, the processing of the I-130 should go quickly (since there isn't a pile of them that the embassy has to go through). It took us about 1-2 weeks to get exceptional circumstances + I-130 approved.

You then have to get the medical + schedule the interview for the beneficiary at the embassy - this can take some time, depending on how many free times the embassy has for interview, etc.

Overall, from the thread about exceptional circumstance filings, I think 1-2 months seems standard.

Timeline

Thank you! This was what I was looking for. Just trying to set a timeline for myself as I have to sell my house etc....

They already approved the exceptional part which they did very quickly. Wish we had known we could go this route 5 months ago!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sunfl0wer said:

Just trying to set a timeline for myself as I have to sell my house etc

Directly from the NVC website:

It is important that you do not make arrangements, such as selling your house, car or property, resigning from your job or making non-refundable flight or other travel arrangements until you have received your immigrant visa.

Do let us know whether they approve your circumstances as “exceptional” as it will be helpful to others who are also wanting to be considered as “exceptional circumstances”. This question is asked a lot and we can only use past experiences to get an idea what USCIS considers “exceptional” or not. Unless things have changed dramatically since your last posts, I wouldn’t think your case would qualify but you never know... 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Our situation fell under this.... He accepted a job they needed him immediately. 

Short notice of position relocation: A U.S. Citizen petitioner, living and working abroad, who receives job relocation within the same company or subsidiary to the United States, or an offer of a new job in the United States with very little notice (employment letter is required).

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 7/30/2019 at 7:11 PM, JFH said:

Do let us know whether they approve your circumstances as “exceptional” as it will be helpful to others who are also wanting to be considered as “exceptional circumstances”. This question is asked a lot and we can only use past experiences to get an idea what USCIS considers “exceptional” or not. Unless things have changed dramatically since your last posts, I wouldn’t think your case would qualify but you never know... 

My I130 has been approved and now doing packet 3.  It took 1 month from handing in documents at the consulate to receiving this if anyone else wants to know timelines.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.