11 posts in this topic

I know this topic has been discussed before but I could not find answer for my specific situation. There are no interpreters available for my husband’s regional language. My sister is the only one is US who speaks both & I trust. I do hve some acquaintance that does the same but I don’t really trust them. What is my choice ? Am I allowed to bring my family member as an interpreter?

Yes, you can have your sister translating. The only thing that is not allowed, is the spouse/ petitioner being the interpreter. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

1 minute ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Yes, you can have your sister translating. The only thing that is not allowed, is the spouse/ petitioner being the interpreter. 

@Allaboutwaiting, do I hve to get prior permission or can we just go for the interview with my sister & tell them there ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
25 minutes ago, ujones said:

I know this topic has been discussed before but I could not find answer for my specific situation. There are no interpreters available for my husband’s regional language. My sister is the only one is US who speaks both & I trust. I do hve some acquaintance that does the same but I don’t really trust them. What is my choice ? Am I allowed to bring my family member as an interpreter?

It doesn't matter who you trust,  it's who the USCIS finds acceptable 

YMMV

I think you don't need to inform prior.

They will just check if the interpreter fulfills the requirements before the interview and both interpreter and beneficiary, will sign a form.

More info here:

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2449/0-0-0-2798.html

9 minutes ago, payxibka said:

It doesn't matter who you trust,  it's who the USCIS finds acceptable 

I agree but when it’s your acquaintance whom you don’t think is your well wisher & you are not 100% sure that he would translate exactly as what you are saying I’m not sure if I could take that risk. If it was a stranger that would hve been a different story. 

The only potential problem with choosing somebody you trust is that USCIS may not see them as impartial ("Impartial and Unbiased Individual" section in the link referenced above).

IO's call if they will accept them or not.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

13 hours ago, ujones said:

I agree with @geowrian. Getting only a relative you trust leaves open the question of how do the counselor know that this interpreter may lie on your behalf. Situations like this calls for people who are impartial to both parties so there are no manipulations. The interview is there so that the applicant can show significant evidence of their eligibility of a visa. You approaching this by driving the point that your very own sister is needed to interpret is an easy way to make the CO suspicious.

Look at it this way... the most successful outcome of a visa interview is one that has removed all or as much doubt for the CO. Not one that gives the CO doubt.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

57 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

I agree with @geowrian. Getting only a relative you trust leaves open the question of how do the counselor know that this interpreter may lie on your behalf. Situations like this calls for people who are impartial to both parties so there are no manipulations. The interview is there so that the applicant can show significant evidence of their eligibility of a visa. You approaching this by driving the point that your very own sister is needed to interpret is an easy way to make the CO suspicious.

Look at it this way... the most successful outcome of a visa interview is one that has removed all or as much doubt for the CO. Not one that gives the CO doubt.

@Unlockable& @geowrian, I completely understand what you both are saying & I would hve preferred an outside interpreter too. But the problem is there’s none for our language. So my choice is between my sister & my acquaintance.. that’s where I’m confused. To CO they both are not impartial so he could say they both are not qualified . So that’s where I’m stuck as I could not find a source to get an interpreter for our language 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, ujones said:

I’m stuck as I could not find a source to get an interpreter for our language

If you live in California as your profile says, you can find an interpreter for any language.  California is one of the most diverse states in the US, probably in the world.  Do more research.  What language does your wife speak?  Can she get by with English?

"Family members will generally be disfavored as interpreters IF there is another qualified interpreter available. Upon disclosure, the officer must use his or her discretion in making a determination as to whether the circumstances will interfere with the interpreter's ability to interpret objectively and provide an accurate and truthful interpretation of the information conveyed during the interview. If the officer determines that despite the relationships or other circumstances disclosed, the interpreter can still provide competent, impartial and unbiased interpretation, then the interpreter may normally be accepted."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.