jagsfl

Copy of marriage book - what qualifies?

14 posts in this topic

Hi VJ,

I am wondering what qualifies for the copy of marriage book. My wife and I got married in Indonesia. We each got our own marriage booklet.

I have already confirmed that I don't need to get it fully translated as the book has the info in both bahasa(Indonesian) and English. My question though is, how exactly does it need to be sent in? Do I need to send my actual marriage book in? Or will a Colored Copies of front and back of the book and pages within it all do justice?

Thank you

August 15, 2019: Submitted Date
September 09, 2019 (around this date): Received NOA1

April 15, 2020: USCIS approved. Sent to National Visa Center

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, jagsfl said:

Hi VJ,

I am wondering what qualifies for the copy of marriage book. My wife and I got married in Indonesia. We each got our own marriage booklet.

I have already confirmed that I don't need to get it fully translated as the book has the info in both bahasa(Indonesian) and English. My question though is, how exactly does it need to be sent in? Do I need to send my actual marriage book in? Or will a Colored Copies of front and back of the book and pages within it all do justice?

Thank you

Evidence sbmission to the uscis are legible photocopies of original or certified copies 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
39 minutes ago, jagsfl said:

Hi VJ,

Thank you

Do NOT send that book in.  Copy all of the pages and send that.  They will want to see the original book at the interview(s).

We are using a stamped/certified translation.  

Don’t be surprised if they ask for every page to be translated.  I recall warning you about this before.  A lot of our book is not in english (the contract part etc)

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
42 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Evidence sbmission to the uscis are legible photocopies of original or certified copies 

That's correct but I would advise getting an Indonesia specific answer with regard to possible translation.  Do include a copy of at least the front cover too and the back if anything at all is printed on it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thanks everyone. The only part of the book that isn't translated is the very first page. But I did call the US Embassy in Jakarta Indonesia and they stated that I did not need to get the book translated for i130 submission. And another member here whose gone through the process with Indonesian wife said the same. I hope there are no problems.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Hijack post removed~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
On 7/19/2019 at 8:56 AM, pushbrk said:

That's correct but I would advise getting an Indonesia specific answer with regard to possible translation.  Do include a copy of at least the front cover too and the back if anything at all is printed on it.

Our Indo marriage book is 8 pages.  There is a big paragraph on the first page, no english.  The sections with our information (name, birthday, etc) are in bahasa/english, but the answers on each line such as for example marital status: “Parawan” are not in english.

The page where the certification stamp was placed has a paragraph, signature of an official, and a stamp.   None of that is in english, it is all in Bahasa.  The page with the marriage contract is also in Bahasa.

How could the embassy be telling these filers that DHS will take this in lieu of translation?

Timeline
5 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Our Indo marriage book is 8 pages.  There is a big paragraph on the first page, no english.  The sections with our information (name, birthday, etc) are in bahasa/english, but the answers on each line such as for example marital status: “Parawan” are not in english.

The page where the certification stamp was placed has a paragraph, signature of an official, and a stamp.   None of that is in english, it is all in Bahasa.  The page with the marriage contract is also in Bahasa.

How could the embassy be telling these filers that DHS will take this in lieu of translation?

The Consular Immigrant Visa Unit WILL take it that way because it is in the local language.  USCIS would not.  Two different animals.  Gotta get through USCIS first.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
On 7/19/2019 at 10:29 AM, jagsfl said:

Thanks everyone. The only part of the book that isn't translated is the very first page. But I did call the US Embassy in Jakarta Indonesia and they stated that I did not need to get the book translated for i130 submission. And another member here whose gone through the process with Indonesian wife said the same. I hope there are no problems.

Good luck

3 hours ago, pushbrk said:

The Consular Immigrant Visa Unit WILL take it that way because it is in the local language.  USCIS would not.  Two different animals.  Gotta get through USCIS first.

What is the best way to get it translated? Is there a specific place I should go to, to have them type it up and sign each page off? Like getting it notarized? Thanks

Timeline
8 hours ago, jagsfl said:

What is the best way to get it translated? Is there a specific place I should go to, to have them type it up and sign each page off? Like getting it notarized? Thanks

Generally, anybody competent to translate is OK, but I would also get a country specific answer for this.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
11 hours ago, jagsfl said:

My wife used to work as an education consultant for the Aussie embassy in Jakarta.  We used someone off of their list because she already worked with them in the course of processing student visas.

https://indonesia.embassy.gov.au/jakt/SwornTrans.html

Anang Fahkcrudin, second on the list, did our translation.  Translated every page, signed, stamped, certified the translation.  We’ve used that translation a LOT and I can guarantee you the Riyadh embassy wouldnt take the original books even if the Jakarta embassy would.

I would never submit an untranslated document to USCIS.  That’s asking for a delay/RFE.

If you want to use one from the US embassy they also have a list of document translators.  You need at a minimum her birth certificate and your marriage book translated.

https://id.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/72/2017/06/List-of-Sworn-Translator-Updated-June-14-2017.pdf

This is their list.  

Edited by Nitas_man

On 7/21/2019 at 5:42 PM, Nitas_man said:

My wife used to work as an education consultant for the Aussie embassy in Jakarta.  We used someone off of their list because she already worked with them in the course of processing student visas.

https://indonesia.embassy.gov.au/jakt/SwornTrans.html

Anang Fahkcrudin, second on the list, did our translation.  Translated every page, signed, stamped, certified the translation.  We’ve used that translation a LOT and I can guarantee you the Riyadh embassy wouldnt take the original books even if the Jakarta embassy would.

I would never submit an untranslated document to USCIS.  That’s asking for a delay/RFE.

If you want to use one from the US embassy they also have a list of document translators.  You need at a minimum her birth certificate and your marriage book translated.

https://id.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/72/2017/06/List-of-Sworn-Translator-Updated-June-14-2017.pdf

This is their list.  

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am going to go and pursue that. I didn't know I also had to send in a translated birth certificate too?

Timeline
1 hour ago, jagsfl said:

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am going to go and pursue that. I didn't know I also had to send in a translated birth certificate too?

You do not have to send in a translated birth certificate, if it is in the local language where you will interview.  However, for other purposes later, it may be good to have one.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.