pokernut

age difference of couple

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have friends with age difference...he's 6O and she's 36.....aced the interview in Ukraine a few months ago.

They told me for the age difference they had a very solid foundation of correspondence, meetings in person, etc.

She "was" asked about the difference in their ages and her answer was...what has age difference got to do with two adult people being in love and wanting to marry?

Visa approved and she is here both seemed to be glued to each other :-)

bruc

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why worry about it now?

The relationship suits you both, you plan to move forward in the process, correct?

Cross that bridge when you get there, if you ever need to cross a bridge at all.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Why worry about it now?

The relationship suits you both, you plan to move forward in the process, correct?

Cross that bridge when you get there, if you ever need to cross a bridge at all.

Don't "worry" but do document your relationship and communication now, long before you have an opportunity to come to that bridge. Be prepared.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Danno -'It's a shame that most of the people who have posted here in the past with large age gaps rarely come back (after marriage) to share as much about what caused the break up or the struggles they have worked through, I think many of us could benefit from that.'

Our difference is 18 years. There really aren't struggles for us, we don't see our age gap as a negative, rather a positive. I don't put alot of our personal life on VJ. But I will tell you we are still honey-mooning and this year will be our 5th anniversary. (L)

Jackie (F)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Danno -'It's a shame that most of the people who have posted here in the past with large age gaps rarely come back (after marriage) to share as much about what caused the break up or the struggles they have worked through, I think many of us could benefit from that.'

Our difference is 18 years. There really aren't struggles for us, we don't see our age gap as a negative, rather a positive. I don't put alot of our personal life on VJ. But I will tell you we are still honey-mooning and this year will be our 5th anniversary. (L)

Jackie (F)

I got a kick out of your wording Jackie. I understand what you meant to say but it sounded a little like you thought a break up or serious struggles were a certainty.

I am in touch with a number of people who have large age gaps and have done well with little struggles. Most are in the 25 year range, one is 40 years. The 25 year ones have as much as 8 years of wonderful marriage and the 40 year differnce one is about 3 years without any difficulites.

I have already mentioned that I have a 38 year gap with my fiancee. Maybe I am being nieve but I know my gal pretty well and we are about as compatable as two people could ever hope to be and I am quite sure we will have little if any difficulties in our relationship. (other than getting out of this stupid A/R)

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband and I do not have a huge age difference (just 7 years), but when I see some of the criticizing remarks regarding age differences, it has really made me think. Really, who care what the age difference is with a couple? What gives others the right to pass judgement? I personally don't care what the age gap is as long as the relationship is bonafide. :thumbs:

Timeline
:thumbs: I am a young 50 and she is A mature 20 ,we get along very well ,we have dicussed the possible problems this could cause! so far there are none!

Just to clear up any potential misunderstanding, the OP asked...

anyone know where this puts us with the embassy interview?

...so the discussion isn't about the suitability of marriage between couples with a large age difference. It's about how (not should) the large age difference could potentially be an issue in the visa process.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

the average person in the philippines makes under the equivalent of 100 american dollars a month

educated persons make around 300.00

and im sure there are professionals who make more...

but the vast majority are dirt poor by american standards....

so.... there is not much visa fraud going on in my opinion ..

Im too lazy to go to all the trouble to fraudulently bring someone to he usa..
In theory they are not supposed to judge the suitabilty of a couple. In this world anyone can fall in love with anyone. Age difference itself is no big deal but couples with a larger age difference to get a closer look for possible visa fraud.

Actually 25 years is not that far above the norm for relationships with women from Russia. One site I go to did a poll and the average was 18 years. Just for the record the age differnce with me and my fiancee is about as big as you get, 38 years.

Right, suitability of the couple is not an evaluation criteria for granting a visa but it is a criteria that may be looked at along with numerous other factors in order to spot a fraud profile. For instance, if the male USC is recently divorced, (even more so if the foreigner also has recent divorce) has a low income and the short relationship includes the one required visit, then depending the couple may have to jump through some extra hoops before a visa is granted. A good presentation of relationship bona fides both with the petition and at interview can go a long way towards overcoming this but it is wise to be prepared with all possible information requested in such cases.

"What profile does this fit?" you ask. A very common one indeed. The profile is that the young bride and her family or recent former husband have schemed (for a substancial sum of money) to have the USC divorce his wife and file for a fiance visa. The divorces are on paper only. Relationships continue as before. Both foreigners end up in the USA together and the divorced USC's do too. I don't pretend to know all the profiling criteria but the above is some of it. When this profile is present, it is common to have an initial denial. The couple is then required to prove the residence of both former spouse's as well as to provide SSN' of X and show evidence of funding for any travel to meet the fiance.

If the relationship is bonafide, then the extra steps are a pain in the butt. If it is not, it's an effective crime fighting method.

Filed: Timeline
My husband and I do not have a huge age difference (just 7 years), but when I see some of the criticizing remarks regarding age differences, it has really made me think. Really, who care what the age difference is with a couple? What gives others the right to pass judgement? I personally don't care what the age gap is as long as the relationship is bonafide. :thumbs:

Personally I feel that gaps bigger than ten years have the potential to cause problems. I've not seen a marriage yet among friends and family succeed that had an age gap bigger than that.

My husband is 8 years older than I am, and to me that's pushing it. People here tease him about being a "cradle robber" even though I'm 31 years old. :lol: :lol: :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

the average person in the philippines makes under the equivalent of 100 american dollars a month

I think you are misunderstanding.

Those reasons you gave are exactly why visa fraud is higher in some countries.

21FUNNY.gif

Timeline

I think you are misunderstanding.

Those reasons you gave are exactly why visa fraud is higher in some countries.

A'Yup. :yes:

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.