Stein

I-130a USC Spouse as Preparer - a few questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I typed all of my wife's information as she provided it to me and hand lettered the "N/A" portions of the hard copy of the I-130a form for my wife who is overseas.  Would it be correct for me to complete section 6  as the person who is preparing this form?  Seems obvious but I don't want a simple mistake that is easily avoided.  Also, should I write anything in the signature line such as "N/A, overseas applicant" or just leave the signature line blank?  What about the date below the signature line?  Should I still put in the date for an unsigned application?  Finally, on Section 9 for additional information it says to type or write the name at the top and sign and date at the bottom.  Should I just write in her full name at the top and not do anything about the signature or date at the bottom?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Stein said:

I typed all of my wife's information as she provided it to me and hand lettered the "N/A" portions of the hard copy of the I-130a form for my wife who is overseas.  Would it be correct for me to complete section 6  as the person who is preparing this form?  Seems obvious but I don't want a simple mistake that is easily avoided.  Also, should I write anything in the signature line such as "N/A, overseas applicant" or just leave the signature line blank?  What about the date below the signature line?  Should I still put in the date for an unsigned application?  Finally, on Section 9 for additional information it says to type or write the name at the top and sign and date at the bottom.  Should I just write in her full name at the top and not do anything about the signature or date at the bottom?

Nah its fine,

I didnt write it.

If you read the instructions for I-130A it clearly mentions that the petitioner can fill it on beneficiary’s behalf and no signature is required

First page of  https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-130instr.pdf note 1

If you are filing for your spouse, he or she must complete and sign Form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary. If your spouse is overseas, Form I-130A must still be completed, but your spouse does not have to sign Form I-130A. Form I-130A must be submitted with Form I-130.

Additional information is only valid if you have some.

Some advice: use a PDF editor like PDF Expert on Mac or PDF Xchange for charity/education, (basically previous version for free)

It fills the other fields from previous input

Edited by saladboye

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I did read those instructions.  Actually the instructions you stated above in bold say that they don't have to sign it but the first line states that "he or she must complete".  Nowhere does it say that the spouse can do it for them.  That is why I was asking.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Stein said:

I did read those instructions.  Actually the instructions you stated above in bold say that they don't have to sign it but the first line states that "he or she must complete".  Nowhere does it say that the spouse can do it for them.  That is why I was asking.

Part 6. Item 7.a in the form itself.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.