cbro20

Getting worried about NOA1

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You have a long journey ahead of you.  All I can say is, get used to the waiting...  Nothing is fast in this process.  good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
13 hours ago, cbro20 said:

Mailed in the I-129 packet 2 weeks ago (June 14th). It was processed through NYC (mailed it from abroad) on June 15th. We haven't received NOA1 yet, which I thought we would have by now. What can I do? Is it taking abnormally long, or is it still within the usual timeframe? I'm not quite sure when the package would have arrived at USCIS definitively. 

This has happened to me a few times before when my fiancé sent me some documents and other packages from the past. The first time it happened, the international tracking number (from Australia) stopped being updated for a few days. Last thing it said was it was being process in LA. I was getting annoyed and impatient as it was at a standstill in LA. So I just went to usps tracking website and put in the exact tracking number and it popped up saying it was out for delivery that day. That’s what I always do every time now that he sends me something. It always stops updating from the international tracking website when it enters USA for some reason and then just switches to usps. Maybe that’s the case for you also?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
16 hours ago, cbro20 said:

Mailed in the I-129 packet 2 weeks ago (June 14th). It was processed through NYC (mailed it from abroad) on June 15th. We haven't received NOA1 yet, which I thought we would have by now. What can I do? Is it taking abnormally long, or is it still within the usual timeframe? I'm not quite sure when the package would have arrived at USCIS definitively. 

I see that you mailed your I-129F packet from abroad. Did you (the petitioner) list as your mailing address your address abroad?
If so, this is the reason why you have not received your NOA1 yet.

I did the same thing. I also live abroad (in China), and listed my Chinese address as my mailing address. 

Little did I know at the time, the petitioner MUST enter a US mailing address on the I-129F form, because the NOA1 and NOA2 are ONLY mailed within the US, not abroad. You must contact the USCIS and change your address to a US one. You can use your parents' address (that's what I did). You will then need to request that the USCIS re-sends your NOA1 to this new address.

In fact, you don't really need the NOA1. You say you already know that your application has been received and is being processed by USCIS, so in effect your "NOA1" milestone has already come and gone. There's nothing new that the physical NOA1 will tell you that you don't already know. However, you definitely will need the physical copy of the NOA2, which your fiancee must take to the visa interview in hard copy form, so that's the main reason why it's important for you to change your mailing address to a US address ASAP.

Hey everyone. I just checked my bank account, and the filing fee was drawn off my account (paid by credit card) from USCIS. Still haven't received NOA1 or an email notification yet, but nice knowing that it's been received and cashed. Guess the shipment tracking info was just never updated once it reached the U.S., and was likely delayed by customs for a few days, as people have mentioned. 

Edited by cbro20

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, cbro20 said:

Hey everyone. I just checked my bank account, and the filing fee was drawn off my account (paid by credit card) from USCIS. Still haven't received NOA1 or an email notification yet, but nice knowing that it's been received and cashed. Guess the shipment tracking info was just never updated once it reached the U.S., and was likely delayed by customs for a few days, as people have mentioned. 

I never received an email notification.

I only received the NOA1 in the mail about 1 month after it was actually read to be sent, and after doing the following steps:

1) Calling the USCIS to confirm that they did get my application

2) Get my receipt number over the phone

3) Create a login on the USCIS website

4) On the USCIS website, change my mailing address from my overseas address to my parents' address in the US

5) Also on the USCIS website, request that my NOA1 be re-sent to my newly updated US address

If you follow these steps you should be able to get your NOA1, too. But rest assured knowing that you essentially already "have" it in that you already know what information it contains, i.e. that they've received and opened your application.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.