JoeMc

Proof of death (split)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

@Greenbaum

Currently our case is still in transit from USCIS to NVC. But,  I have a question...

The page for  U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country > China  says that a "Notarial certificate (Gong Zheng Shu)" is the document from China for proof of death. That page states that there are "No Alternative Documents." 

After an RFE the USCIS accepted an alternative proof of death for fiance's former husband. (A certified translation of his hospital record summary including hospital death notice/record and a certified translation of fiance's Hukou stating she is a widow. I will spare you the details about the thousands of km of travel and searching required to acquire an 'official' stamped copy of the hospital record summary and death notice/record - he passed away approximately 25 years ago.)

My fiance' asked me if this is something we need to worry about at the NVC and Embassy steps of the process... In other words... If the USCIS accepted these alternative documents as proof of death. Will the NVC and Embassy accept them, too? (Is this something we need to worry about or can we assume that the documents the USCIS accepted will also be accepted when she goes for her interview?)

Edited by JoeMc

36 minutes ago, JoeMc said:

@Greenbaum

Currently our case is still in transit from USCIS to NVC. But,  I have a question...

The page for  U.S. Visa: Reciprocity and Civil Documents by Country > China  says that a "Notarial certificate (Gong Zheng Shu)" is the document from China for proof of death. That page states that there are "No Alternative Documents." 

After an RFE the USCIS accepted an alternative proof of death for fiance's former husband. (A certified translation of his hospital record summary including hospital death notice/record and a certified translation of fiance's Hukou stating she is a widow. I will spare you the details about the thousands of km of travel and searching required to acquire an 'official' stamped copy of the hospital record summary and death notice/record - he passed away approximately 25 years ago.)

My fiance' asked me if this is something we need to worry about at the NVC and Embassy steps of the process... In other words... If the USCIS accepted these alternative documents as proof of death. Will the NVC and Embassy accept them, too? (Is this something we need to worry about or can we assume that the documents the USCIS accepted will also be accepted when she goes for her interview?)

You can we assume that the documents the USCIS accepted will also be accepted when she goes for her interview. Now having said that, there is always a slim chance that the embassy may not only because they "know" the local culture and know how things can and cannot be done.

Using common sense I think that she should not have a problem. Now let me ask you this. With this evidence can she go to the governmental agency that produces the "Notarial Certificate" and begin the process of putting this to bed once and for all. Don't think it's needed for the interview but if they ask then at least you are in the process of attaining one.

At the interview, if they ask questions just explain your situation but keep it condensed and to the point. Let the CO ask the questions, don't volunteer information.

Good luck.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Greenbaum said:

Using common sense I think that she should not have a problem. Now let me ask you this. With this evidence can she go to the governmental agency that produces the "Notarial Certificate" and begin the process of putting this to bed once and for all. Don't think it's needed for the interview but if they ask then at least you are in the process of attaining one.

When she got the documents from the hospital in Yulin they (the hospital records department) recommended that she go to a notary in Beijing. (According to her household register (Hukou) she is a resident of Beijing. That was the 'local notary public office' for her residence.) Beijing to Yulin is close to 5000 km round trip.

When she got home to Beijing she went to the notary the following day and they told her that Yulin was in a different province. So, they would not notarize it.  (And could offer no assurances that a notary in Yulin would notarize it.)

The following day she flew to Italy (for work and study).

After the case is forwarded to the embassy in China she plans on returning to China for her medical exam and interview. It would be very difficult for her to travel to Yulin right now (because of other commitments/opportunities/obligations and the time and distances involved). Even if she went to Yulin there is no guarantee the notary would issue the document...

Side note: I visited Guilin with her in April. It is a city in the same province as Yulin. That notary would not even look at the documents because her household registration is for Beijing, which was not in their province/jurisdiction.... It seems like a huge 'run-around' which is why I eventually sent the USCIS the certified translations.

Edited by JoeMc

2 hours ago, JoeMc said:

When she got the documents from the hospital in Yulin they (the hospital records department) recommended that she go to a notary in Beijing. (According to her household register (Hukou) she is a resident of Beijing. That was the 'local notary public office' for her residence.) Beijing to Yulin is close to 5000 km round trip.

When she got home to Beijing she went to the notary the following day and they told her that Yulin was in a different province. So, they would not notarize it.  (And could offer no assurances that a notary in Yulin would notarize it.)

The following day she flew to Italy (for work and study).

After the case is forwarded to the embassy in China she plans on returning to China for her medical exam and interview. It would be very difficult for her to travel to Yulin right now (because of other commitments/opportunities/obligations and the time and distances involved). Even if she went to Yulin there is no guarantee the notary would issue the document...

Side note: I visited Guilin with her in April. It is a city in the same province as Yulin. That notary would not even look at the documents because her household registration is for Beijing, which was not in their province/jurisdiction.... It seems like a huge 'run-around' which is why I eventually sent the USCIS the certified translations.

This is a story IF NEEDED should be told but only if the paperwork doesn't initially past muster. Please keep me updated on your progress.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Split and Moved to the Regional forum, from K1 Progress Reports - As the OP's question is country specific.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What's missing here is what the notarial official in Yulin (at the deceased husband's hukou) would say. Hopefully, what you have is enough.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.