Life is Life

Any Advice on Obtaining a China Police Report for a USA Visa, When the Intending Immigrant is no Longer in China??? Please Help!

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Travel is life said:

My wife used to live in Weifang and Shenyang. It would be great if you could find something! This situation has us stuck right now...

Hi I found two agencies and one law office

basically the required documents are the same and the procedure is similar 

I suggest u email them to see more details upon your own case. You may tell them the purpose for the police check; the city your wife used to live; how long u live there (usually no police check needed if less than 6 months); the cost/how to pay; how to deliver to you; how long it will take in total etc

here below are the email address:

1. service@bjvisa8.com (main office:Beijing)

2.law office: cncc@lawandborder.com 

3.agency: yangjie@visainchina.com

Good luck

Lived in China for 3 years and had kind of the same problem whilst filing for my K1 visa. Thankfully, I was looking at the K1 visa requirements whilst I was actually in China and went to the local PSB office in China to obtain one and even being there physically trying to apply for a police certificate was so difficult. I wasn't in a well-known city and they weren't accustomed to producing police certificates for foreigners and I imagine Weifang and Shenyang will also be this way. It took several trips and someone more proficient in mandarin to come with me before they actually gave me one. 

I had some anxieties about whether the police certificate I obtained would be good enough for the K1 interview in London. Reasons why:

I kept reading online about how the official police certificates from China that people show at US embassies should be in a white booklet type thing, which is an official translation (from an also local official translation office-I don't know what these are called) of the police certificate you get at the PSB. Mine looked nothing like this. It was basically a plain A4 sheet of paper with four lines, but it had an official looking red seal stamp thing so I thought maybe it was OK. Got it translated at a firm in England, US embassy in London accepted it. 

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is - it doesn't seem like there is one central document that is accepted as a police certificate from China, but if you are going to a stricter embassy - I would try and get the official document that comes in a white booklet. I'm sorry I can't give anymore information. You may have to go through an agency to get this, and the price I have been quoted for my city for this agency is usually around 800-900 USD for the entire service. Here are some of the agencies I considered:

http://www.cn-visa.com/china_no_criminal_record_certificate_in_beijing.asp 

http://www.visainchina.com/nocriminal.htm 

Second website states they cover all of China, some will only cover Beijing and Shanghai. 

Best of luck! 

Filed & Mailed I-129f:                           13th Feb. 2018

Packet Delivered:                                  16th Feb. 2018

NOA1 Text & Email:                               20th Feb. 2018

NOA1 Hard copy Received:                  24th Feb. 2018

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline
58 minutes ago, lotusflower16 said:

You may have to go through an agency to get this, and the price I have been quoted for my city for this agency is usually around 800-900 USD for the entire service. Here are some of the agencies I considered:

Can’t help to say “it is a robbery!!!”

The police report per se is free of charge and its notarial copy is something around 20-30 USD. 

2 minutes ago, issea said:

The police report per se is free of charge and its notarial copy is something around 20-30 USD. 

Yeah, this is why we didn't use the service and I just risked it with the current document I have. It is free IF you are there in China, if you aren't and you can't go back due to whatever reasons and if OP's wife doesn't have any contacts there, only option may be agencies. 

Filed & Mailed I-129f:                           13th Feb. 2018

Packet Delivered:                                  16th Feb. 2018

NOA1 Text & Email:                               20th Feb. 2018

NOA1 Hard copy Received:                  24th Feb. 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband had this same issue from a different country.

Does your wife know anyone who still lives in China who can get the report for her? My husband still knew people in the country he needed the certificate from and one of them obtained it for him and sent it to me here in the US. Just a thought...

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline

Here is what I googled and found: 

https://lawandborder.com/china-police-certificates/

which is one of three Lin&Larry mentioned. Above is their website, and therein it states its legal fees and expenses are between 950 - 1300 USD. The other one both Lin&Larry and Lotusflower16 mentioned is http://www.visainchina.com/nocriminal.htm, and they state the cost per person is 3000RMB (433.25 USD according to current exchange rate) excluding express mail fees. 

4 hours ago, lotusflower16 said:

Lived in China for 3 years and had kind of the same problem whilst filing for my K1 visa. Thankfully, I was looking at the K1 visa requirements whilst I was actually in China and went to the local PSB office in China to obtain one and even being there physically trying to apply for a police certificate was so difficult. I wasn't in a well-known city and they weren't accustomed to producing police certificates for foreigners and I imagine Weifang and Shenyang will also be this way. It took several trips and someone more proficient in mandarin to come with me before they actually gave me one. 

I had some anxieties about whether the police certificate I obtained would be good enough for the K1 interview in London. Reasons why:

I kept reading online about how the official police certificates from China that people show at US embassies should be in a white booklet type thing, which is an official translation (from an also local official translation office-I don't know what these are called) of the police certificate you get at the PSB. Mine looked nothing like this. It was basically a plain A4 sheet of paper with four lines, but it had an official looking red seal stamp thing so I thought maybe it was OK. Got it translated at a firm in England, US embassy in London accepted it. 

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is - it doesn't seem like there is one central document that is accepted as a police certificate from China, but if you are going to a stricter embassy - I would try and get the official document that comes in a white booklet. I'm sorry I can't give anymore information. You may have to go through an agency to get this, and the price I have been quoted for my city for this agency is usually around 800-900 USD for the entire service. Here are some of the agencies I considered:

http://www.cn-visa.com/china_no_criminal_record_certificate_in_beijing.asp 

http://www.visainchina.com/nocriminal.htm 

Second website states they cover all of China, some will only cover Beijing and Shanghai. 

Best of luck! 

Hello, well thank you very much for your detailed reply... I really appreciate that. They certainly like to make this difficult and confusing, and costly! In 2019 you would think that they should have a simpler and more streamlined process of getting these. Anyway, thanks for the agency links... I already looked at visainchina.com, but will take a look at the other one.

2 hours ago, issea said:

Here is what I googled and found: 

https://lawandborder.com/china-police-certificates/

which is one of three Lin&Larry mentioned. Above is their website, and therein it states its legal fees and expenses are between 950 - 1300 USD. The other one both Lin&Larry and Lotusflower16 mentioned is http://www.visainchina.com/nocriminal.htm, and they state the cost per person is 3000RMB (433.25 USD according to current exchange rate) excluding express mail fees. 

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I appreciate that. I have looked into those 2 a bit... One is crazy expensive and apparently the other one only covers you if you had a residence permit in Beijing. They like to make it very hard...

3 hours ago, Cathi said:

My husband had this same issue from a different country.

Does your wife know anyone who still lives in China who can get the report for her? My husband still knew people in the country he needed the certificate from and one of them obtained it for him and sent it to me here in the US. Just a thought...

Unfortunately my wife said that she pretty much lost all her contacts in China since she left, because it has been 5 years since she left... and I have never even been there myself. You would think that in 2019 they should have an easier and more streamlined way of getting these kinds of documents. As you said, you either need to be in China or know someone in China who can get these documents. They do have these online agencies that say they can do it, but they are ridiculously expensive (for one thing), plus I have to research on how good they are before we just go for it...

4 hours ago, lotusflower16 said:

Yeah, this is why we didn't use the service and I just risked it with the current document I have. It is free IF you are there in China, if you aren't and you can't go back due to whatever reasons and if OP's wife doesn't have any contacts there, only option may be agencies. 

What current document did you have that you say you risked it with??? Is it a document that you took to an Embassy?

3 hours ago, civilservant said:

Presumably would cost alot more in travel expenses to go to China then it would to engage this agency - hence they can charge what they want.

Yes, true, but need to find one that’s legitimate and doesn’t break the bank...

4 hours ago, issea said:

Yes...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Have you checked out some threads in the China Regional Forum? :idea: It seems that have seen something recently there about Police Certs.....????

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

54 minutes ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

Have you checked out some threads in the China Regional Forum? :idea: It seems that have seen something recently there about Police Certs.....????

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Thank you for the insight! Could you send me the link for the China Regional Forum please?!? I am new here, so do not know where to find it. Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.