christophec

Green card for my parents already in the US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hello!

I will be apply for citizenship next month, and my parents are currently in the US with an E2 visa expiring in 1 year or so.

I tried to look on the forum for more detailed, but I only found detailed to file when parents live outside of the US

Can someone help me with the process ?

thanks a lot

03/28/2014 - Married in New York Clerks Office

Adjusting from H1B

5/28/2014 - Sent AOS package
5/30/2014 - AOS Package Delivered
6/06/2014 - Text and email notification received
6/10/2014 - 4 Hard copies of NOA1 received
6/13/2014 - Biometrics appointment letter in the mail

6/17/2014 - Walk-in biometrics at Varick Street
6/27/2014 - Scheduled appointment for biometrics

6/30/2014 - Notification from USCIS, Testing & Interview

8/13/2014 - EAD and AP approved

8/18/2014 - EAD received

10/15/2014 - Interview at New York Federal Plaza and APPROVED email and text at the end of day

10/21/2014 - Green card in the mail

ROC

07/16/2016 - Sent I-751 to VSC

07/18/2016 - Package delivered

07/21/2016 - Check cashed

07/29/2016 - Received NOA1 dated 07/19/2016

08/08/2016 - Biometrics walk-in successful

08/17/2016 - Scheduled appointment for biometrics

07/10/2017 - Approval Letter received dated 07/06/2017

07/20/2017 - Green card in the mail

03/28/2018 - Divorce granted
CITIZENSHIP

07/17/2019 - Sent N400 Online -  5 years residency rule

07/23/2019 - Received NOA for biometrics

08/05/2019 - Biometrics appointment 

09/30/2020 - Interview - Approved

01/13/2021 - Oath Ceremony

01/13/2021 - Applied for passport at USPS

02/02/2021 - Status "In Process" 

02/18/2021 - Passport Received

If you are only applying for citizenship next month, it may still be many more months before you are actually a citizen (in some cases this can tae over a year). If your parents are still in the US on their current visa by that stage, you can apply for them after you have taken your oath ceremony with both I130 and I485 to adjust status.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

For your parents don't apply for AOS before 90 days of arrival on non immigrant visa.

https://citizenpath.com/90-day-rule-adjusting-status/

8 hours ago, alien2006 said:

For your parents don't apply for AOS before 90 days of arrival on non immigrant visa.

https://citizenpath.com/90-day-rule-adjusting-status/

Please stop posting this, you're simply wrong.

There is no rule/law in the FAM or INA anything like what you are suggesting.

Edited by civilservant

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
5 hours ago, civilservant said:

Please stop posting this, you're simply wrong.

There is no rule/law in the FAM or INA anything like what you are suggesting.

I stand corrected, in the OP case E2 is dual intent so the 90 days does not apply.

90 day rule does apply for non dual intent visa, please read the policy section "3. The U.S. Department of State’s 90-Day Rule"

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-j-chapter-3

Entering the U.S in B-1/B-2 status or non dual intent visa with the preconceived intention to file for adjustment of status is considered to be fraud

Edited by alien2006

It clearly states it IS NOT A RULE.

Although referred to by DOS as a “rule” in its Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM), the 90-day rule is not a regulation. It is DOS guidance to its officers, and as such, the 90-day rule is not binding on USCIS officers. However, USCIS officers must examine all of the factors in an applicant’s case. After such review, USCIS officers may find that an applicant made a willful misrepresentation, especially if the violation or inconsistent conduct occurred shortly after the consular interview or admission to the United States. [9]

57 minutes ago, alien2006 said:

I stand corrected, in the OP case E2 is dual intent so the 90 days does not apply.

90 day rule does apply for non dual intent visa, please read the policy section "3. The U.S. Department of State’s 90-Day Rule"

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-j-chapter-3

Entering the U.S in B-1/B-2 status or non dual intent visa with the preconceived intention to file for adjustment of status is considered to be fraud

OP’s parents are already in US

OP is only to apply for naturalization next month

unless something amazing is going down at USCIS, there is no way that any 90 day rule would be a concern even if his parents landed the day he posted 

plus, parents are immediate relative category and everything gets forgiven 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.