alt_japan

Case Refused at Interview Because of Domicile

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Yesterday, my wife took her interview at the Embassy and the case was refused on the basis of me (petitioner) not having an enough evidence as to prove intent to reestablish domicile in the US. (See below what I submitted).

During the interview, the officer kept asking her if I had a job, where I had a job, where I lived, who I lived with,  where we intended to live, and refused to look at any of the original documents used to reestablish domicile or joint sponsorship documents. Her interview lasted for more than 30 minutes and the officer kept asking her those questions. The officer also would ask her a question, leave the counter and talk to another officer or manager maybe, and then comeback and continue questioning. This happened three times.  

What other steps evidence do I need at this point in time? I have already began to apply to job in the US as of yesterday since this has happen, and began dissolving my life in Japan i.e. closing accounts, I quit my job yesterday on the spot as soon as I found this out, and other steps. 

Has anyone else at the interview stage been refused for this reason? I was under the impression that this refusal would have happened at the NVC stage not at the interview.  The only issue we had at the NVC stage was an income issue as my job would not continue upon leaving Japan since I am an English Teacher here for a local company. The NVC stated to get a joint sponsor which we did, and we have enough assets above the guidelines in the I-864p. 

Thanks for your advice and replies. 

AT the NVC stage, I submitted the following letter and accompanying evidence based on what I have read here on the forums and in the I-864:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Petitioner Name
Social Security Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
FORM I-1864
No.5 Country of Domicile

I, PETITIONER, am currently residing in Japan with my spouse, IMMIGRANT. Below you will find a list of attached documents to show that my principle residence is in the US and the steps that I have taken to return to the US with my spouse.

Steps I have taken to maintain US Domicile:

1. Maintained my STATE voter registration via Military/Overseas registration
  2. Maintained my XXXXX credit card ending XXXX
  3. Maintained my XXXXX credit card ending XXXX
  4. Maintained my checking and savings accounts at XXXXX Bank
    1. Checking ending in XXXX
    2. Savings ending in XXXX
  5. Maintained my XXXXXXXXX credit card ending XXXX
  6. Maintained my US retirement fund with XXXXXXX
  7. Maintained my US mutual fund account with XXXXXX
  8. Maintained my STATE drivers license
  9. Paid 2017 State of STATE taxes

Supporting Documents for the above steps I have taken:

1. Copy of Voter registration email showing permanent US address
  2. Copy of credit card ending in XXXX statement showing US billing address
  3. Copy of credit card ending in XXXX statement showing US billing address
  4. Copy of XXXX Bank statements showing permanent US address
    1. Checking ending in XXXX
    2. Savings ending in XXXX
  5. Copy of XXXXXXXXXXXXXX credit card statement showing US billing address
  6. Copy of XXXXXX Retirement fund statement showing permanent US address
  7. Copy of XXXXXX Mutual fund statement showing permanent US address
  8. Copy of STATE drivers license currently up to date
  9. Copy of 2017 State of STATE Tax return

Steps I have taken to return to the US to take up residence:
• Made arrangements for us to have a house to live in.
• Work contract ending September XXX, 2019

Supporting documents for the above steps I have taken:
• Written and notorizied statement from JOINT SPONSOR, mother, stating we can live at her residence.
• Copy of work contract

I declare that I intend in good faith to re-establish my domicile in the United States no later than the date of spouse's admission into the US.

I certify that the statements in this letter and all accompanying evidence are true and correct.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 8 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.