01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

25 minutes ago, Ali2020 said:

my father has recently applied for I-824 for me, i live outside of the USA.
How long does it take for a I-824 to finish so i can get my greencard? 

I824 is if you already have a approved petition that is lost, stolen, or mutilated. So did you father petition for you previously, is that petition approved, and is he a USC or GC?

3 minutes ago, Ali2020 said:

Form I-824, I'm checking processing time on the USCIS site it says 8-12 months.. Is this the estimate months the case will finish?

Yes it is the timeline for it to be finished

Edited by Cyberfx1024

9 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I824 is if you already have a approved petition that is lost, stolen, or mutilated. So did you father petition for you previously, is that petition approved, and is he a USC or GC?

Yes it is the timeline for it to be finished

We applied for citizenship back in 2000 when i was a kid, we had to move back to our country due to family problems and our visas were expired, My father moved back to the USA 1.5 years ago and just got his greencard category F46. He recently has applied for me now with case I-824 the case is now in processing and has not been approved yet Its been a month we are still waiting

Edited by Ali2020

13 minutes ago, Ali2020 said:

We applied for citizenship back in 2000 when i was a kid, we had to move back to our country due to family problems and our visas were expired, My father moved back to the USA 1.5 years ago and just got his greencard category F46. He recently has applied for me now with case I-824 the case is now in processing and has not been approved yet Its been a month we are still waiting

How old are you now? 

24 minutes ago, Ali2020 said:

Do you mean your green cards expired (not visas, in your first sentence)?  You would have had to already be green card holders to have applied for citizenship. 

On what basis were those original green cards granted?

3 minutes ago, Ali2020 said:

Unless you were on the original petition that was approved and your visa was lost, stolen, or mutilated then the I824 doesn't look right for you.

13 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Oh wait - so this is a follow to join application for a derivative ?

That's what I am thinking.  Then his father would have to file for I-130 correct?

7 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

That's what I am thinking.  Then his father would have to file for I-130 correct?

No, the point of follow to join is that you don’t have to file an I130. If father had interviewed in home country the OP would have received derivative visa at same time, but because fatter was in the US he first had to get his GC approved and then file for FTJ derivatives. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

No, the point of follow to join is that you don’t have to file an I130. If father had interviewed in home country the OP would have received derivative visa at same time, but because fatter was in the US he first had to get his GC approved and then file for FTJ derivatives. 

That's what I am trying to figure out is if he was on the original petition along with his father. 

13 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

That's what I am trying to figure out is if he was on the original petition along with his father. 

He actually doesn’t have to be as long as he qualifies as a derivative, which he does as long as he gets his visa before he ages out at 21.

Basis for Following-to-Join:  The term “following to join,” as used in INA 101(a)(27)(C) and INA 203(d), permits an alien to obtain an NIV or IV and the priority date of the principal alien as long as the alien following to join has the required relationship with the principal alien.

https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM050201.html

And from the i824 instructions:

... you are requesting USCIS to notify a U.S. Consulate through the NVC that your status was adjusted to that of a lawful permanent resident based on an approved Form I-485, select Item Number 1.c. This will permit your spouse and/or children to apply for an immigrant visa and follow-to-join you in the United States.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-824instr.pdf

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.