Miss Accountant

Traveling on Greencard Close to Experation

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone have experience traveling on a green card that's close to the experation date without an extension letter? My husband's conditional greencard expires on July 7, and he has a trip scheduled from June 14 to July 2. Uscis notified us that they mailed NOA 1 for our ROC package on May 20, but we still haven't received it. I'm getting concerned that he won't receive it before his trip. Does anyone know if he could have a problem trying to come back to the US with only 5 days left on his greencard?

Thank you so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

He will have no problems.  He may get sent to secondary upon entry, but they will see that his card is still good.  If the letter comes while he is gone, can you scan it and send him a copy of it so he has it on his phone or computer?  It's not good for entry, but it will show that he has sent his I-751 in.

Good luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

No problems. My husband traveled back home last year from June 1st - 4th, his GC expired on June 25th.

When he came back in, the CBP officer just reminded him that his GC was expiring, my husband said thank you and that he had put in his paperwork for ROC and that was the extent of their conversation.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

The green card is good thru the day of expiration.   You have applied for ROC prior to the expiration so once you have the extension letter you are good for another 18 months.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

• 2 weeks later...

My green card expired on May 13th. I applied for I751 to remove conditions in March and received an extension letter. 

I had a short trip to Europe from May 2nd to May 6th. 

I had my extension letter with me (just in case) but the only question the officer at the airport asked - what was the duration of my trip, and what was the purpose of my trip.  These are totally normal questions at the border patrol.  

He just stamped my passport and never asked about anything else. 

Prior to getting to the officer I was able to scan my green card at the self service machine where they take your photo and print a “receipt” without any issues. 

Your husband will be fine - As long as he is back in the US BEFORE the expiration of his conditional green card. 

Safe travels!

On 6/12/2019 at 2:43 AM, HeartNYC said:

My green card expired on May 13th. I applied for I751 to remove conditions in March and received an extension letter. 

I had a short trip to Europe from May 2nd to May 6th. 

I had my extension letter with me (just in case) but the only question the officer at the airport asked - what was the duration of my trip, and what was the purpose of my trip.  These are totally normal questions at the border patrol.  

He just stamped my passport and never asked about anything else. 

Prior to getting to the officer I was able to scan my green card at the self service machine where they take your photo and print a “receipt” without any issues. 

Your husband will be fine - As long as he is back in the US BEFORE the expiration of his conditional green card. 

Safe travels!

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give an update for anyone who checks this thread later. My husband went through passport control with no problem! He wasn't able to scan his green card in the machine because it was close to expiration, so he was sent to see an officer. And the officer passed him through quickly. 

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Miss Accountant said:

Just wanted to give an update for anyone who checks this thread later. My husband went through passport control with no problem! He wasn't able to scan his green card in the machine because it was close to expiration, so he was sent to see an officer. And the officer passed him through quickly. 

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Glad you provided an update

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.