Jump to content
noront

Can (or should) I file I-765 EAD?

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I pulled up the instructions for the EAD and noticed this line:

 

"If you are a lawful permanent resident, a conditional permanent resident, or a nonimmigrant only authorized for employment with a specific employer under 8 CFR 274a.12(b), do not use Form I-765."

 

I am currently in the US on an non-immigrant visa that only allows me to work for my foreign employer. I am seeking to adjust status based on my USC spouse. (But I am on a work visa, not a spousal visa.) 

 

Reading through the regulations here it does appear that my visa category falls under this section. 

 

So, am I not *allowed* to use Form I-765? Or is it that I don't *need* to apply for EAD with this form, but can do it if I want? I'd like to apply for both EAD and AP just in case, even if neither are technically required. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, noront said:

I pulled up the instructions for the EAD and noticed this line:

 

"If you are a lawful permanent resident, a conditional permanent resident, or a nonimmigrant only authorized for employment with a specific employer under 8 CFR 274a.12(b), do not use Form I-765."

 

I am currently in the US on an non-immigrant visa that only allows me to work for my foreign employer. I am seeking to adjust status based on my USC spouse. (But I am on a work visa, not a spousal visa.) 

 

Reading through the regulations here it does appear that my visa category falls under this section. 

 

So, am I not *allowed* to use Form I-765? Or is it that I don't *need* to apply for EAD with this form, but can do it if I want? I'd like to apply for both EAD and AP just in case, even if neither are technically required. 

You wouldn't need to apply for I765 if you were applying not as an AOS applicant, but as an applicant for certain work visas. 

 

For example, I was a TN status holder--a non immigrant work status. I didn't need an EAD; my TN status is what allowed me to work. 

 

You're applying to adjust status, so you're free to apply for an AOS EAD (category c9) or not. If your current work status doesn't expire for 2+ years, you could easily just not bother. If it expires in fewer than 2 years, might as well. 

 

As an AOS by marriage applicant, the above doesn't apply to you, but it's up to you to submit the application or not. 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, noront said:

 

So, am I not *allowed* to use Form I-765?

As an AOS filer, you are allowed.

 

3 hours ago, noront said:

 

Or is it that I don't *need* to apply for EAD with this form, but can do it if I want? 

Correct.

 

3 hours ago, noront said:

 

I'd like to apply for both EAD and AP just in case, even if neither are technically required. 

That is the best option. They are free anyway with AOS.


Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

.

.

.

.

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much. I was a bit worried about how applying for an EAD might actually impact on my existing visa.

 

I have a duration of status visa (I-visa), so good as long as I am in the same position with the same foreign employer.

 

I wasn't sure whether applying to adjust my status and request new employment authorization would actually put me "out of status."

 

I do plan on staying in the same job so I'm hoping it's not a huge issue. But it would be nice to have the EAD.

 

I am required to travel outside the U.S. for work a few times a year (so I will definitely be applying for Advance Parole). I only travel to Mexico and Canada. I wasn't sure what would happen with my existing visa, or whether it would actually be replaced by the employment authorization if I left the US for a few days for work and returned to the border while my AOS case was being processed. Would I be allowed in on the same I-Visa or would it be something else if I have the EAD and AP? Any chance I could jeopardize my employment status in the U.S.? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, noront said:

Thanks so much. I was a bit worried about how applying for an EAD might actually impact on my existing visa.

 

I have a duration of status visa (I-visa), so good as long as I am in the same position with the same foreign employer.

 

I wasn't sure whether applying to adjust my status and request new employment authorization would actually put me "out of status."

Applying for, and receiving it, wouldn't put you out of status; using the AOS EAD for employment would. 

Quote

I do plan on staying in the same job so I'm hoping it's not a huge issue. But it would be nice to have the EAD.

 

I am required to travel outside the U.S. for work a few times a year (so I will definitely be applying for Advance Parole). I only travel to Mexico and Canada. I wasn't sure what would happen with my existing visa, or whether it would actually be replaced by the employment authorization if I left the US for a few days for work and returned to the border while my AOS case was being processed. Would I be allowed in on the same I-Visa or would it be something else if I have the EAD and AP? Any chance I could jeopardize my employment status in the U.S.? 

And that's where it's good you asked. 

 

I is not a dual intent status, so by using AP--a benefit of AOS--you lose your I status. 

 

It's unlikely that you'll be allowed back in after you submitted your AOS application on your original I visa (ie not on AP); and if you are admitted, you AOS will be denied due to abandonment. 

 

So you have to apply for AP to travel for work, and since you'll be traveling on the AP, you'll lose your current status, so you need the EAD as well. 

Edited by eckoin

Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thanks for the help! I'm actually putting in a concerted effort to get this application together pretty soon so now I'm really looking at the details and getting a bit nervous about making sure it's all correct.

 

So if I understand correctly - let's say I file for AOS and also file for EAD and AP at the same time. I don't travel outside the U.S. until I've received both EAD and AP (which, I gather, are on a single card once you've been approved?). Once approved for both I can travel outside the country if needed and then return to the U.S. and continue my same employment, but this time using the EAD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, noront said:

Great thanks for the help! I'm actually putting in a concerted effort to get this application together pretty soon so now I'm really looking at the details and getting a bit nervous about making sure it's all correct.

 

So if I understand correctly - let's say I file for AOS and also file for EAD and AP at the same time. I don't travel outside the U.S. until I've received both EAD and AP (which, I gather, are on a single card once you've been approved?). Once approved for both I can travel outside the country if needed and then return to the U.S. and continue my same employment, but this time using the EAD

That is correct. You can "switch" to your AOS EAD as soon as you receive it, by letting HR know your work authorization documentation changed. 

 

You're not allowed to travel outside the US before you receive the AP (and after you applied for AOS and the associated AP) without abandoning your application. 

 

In almost all cases, AP and EAD are on the same combo card. 


Adjusting from TN to GC as spouse of USC

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-11: Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - approved 

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expires 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...