16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello everyone, i'll be filing for ROC in June and i want to ask a few questions about life insurance

1- is it okay if i'm only purchasing the life insurance 2 months prior to filing for roc ?

2- i don't have a joint health insurance because i couldn't get on my wife's, so i figured a life insurance would fill that gap is that right ? 

3- does a life insurance make a huge difference or impact on the evidence provided ?

thank you

Life insurance is good to have and no it doesnt matter.  Our wills were signed the day we sent roc and no issues.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
3 hours ago, NikLR said:

Life insurance is good to have and no it doesnt matter.  Our wills were signed the day we sent roc and no issues.

3 hours ago, NikLR said:

Thank you so much, do you mind telling me how much did it cost you to get the wills done?!

13 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Thank you so much, do you mind telling me how much did it cost you to get the wills done?!

Pur tax software offered them for $10 and it cost $10 for the notary ($5 per will)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
On 4/28/2019 at 11:25 AM, NikLR said:

Pur tax software offered them for $10 and it cost $10 for the notary ($5 per will)

i looked up pur tax but nothing came up, are you sure that's the right name ? 

thank you

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/27/2019 at 3:43 PM, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Hello everyone, i'll be filing for ROC in June and i want to ask a few questions about life insurance

1- is it okay if i'm only purchasing the life insurance 2 months prior to filing for roc ?

2- i don't have a joint health insurance because i couldn't get on my wife's, so i figured a life insurance would fill that gap is that right ? 

3- does a life insurance make a huge difference or impact on the evidence provided ?

thank you

Just to note that you're not mandated to have joint health insurance or life insurance for ROC.  While life insurance is in general a good idea, for young people or those where both partners have low earnings, it might not make sense.   It certainly is helpful for ROC to show that evidence, but just want to be clear that it's not required--especially if there is strong alternative data of financial commingling.

Edited by AstroCanada
I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Timeline
On 4/29/2019 at 6:48 PM, AstroCanada said:

Just to note that you're not mandated to have joint health insurance or life insurance for ROC.  While life insurance is in general a good idea, for young people or those where both partners have low earnings, it might not make sense.   It certainly is helpful for ROC to show that evidence, but just want to be clear that it's not required--especially if there is strong alternative data of financial commingling.

as of evidences i have:

2 cars joint insurance

1 joint car title

3 bank account statements (2 checking and 1 savings)

1 statement from the hospital showing me as a parent for my step kids 

1 release of information form from the hospital (a form stating that the hospital can release my wife's medical information for me and vice versa)

1 joint lease and history of payment for the one and only apartment we rented since 2017

daycare and school papers showing me as a the emergency contact for my step kids

pictures together and with family and the kids

some mail for both of us showing same address

i recently purchased a credit card and i added my wife as an authorized user (2days ago) by the time i file for Roc i'll probably have two statements under both names

2017+2018 tax return jointly filed

statement showing my wife as my emergency contact at work and at the hospital 

is this enough ? because i'm not really ready to buy a life insurance at this point

on more thing does any of these documents need to be notarized ??

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

as of evidences i have:

2 cars joint insurance

1 joint car title

1 release of information form from the hospital (a form stating that the hospital can release my wife's medical information for me and vice versa)

1 joint lease and history of payment for the one and only apartment we rented since 2017

daycare and school papers showing me as a the emergency contact for my step kids

i recently purchased a credit card and i added my wife as an authorized user (2days ago) by the time i file for Roc i'll probably have two statements under both names

is this enough ? because i'm not really ready to buy a life insurance at this point

Life insurance is not necessary for the filing. We filed my wife's AOS without one . USCIS did not look for it. I would add your DMV issued license or ID of both of you showing a common address. Any 401K or retirement from work showing your wife as a beneficiary?  Any other utility bills you can show them both your names?  What about cell phone bills that can show both of you on the account?

as of evidences i have:

2 cars joint insurance

1 joint car title

As stated you dont need life insurance to roc but you guys have kids. Its something you should have sooner than later. 

You can gets wills and living wills.  I would do both since children are involved.  

DL showing same address?

Notarizing a document shows that a notary confirmed the identity of the person's signature.  It does not verify any information is correct.  So only a will or living will would need a notary, and that depends on your state laws. 

Do have any joint bills? If not then send what you have. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, geff44 said:

Life insurance is not necessary for the filing. We filed my wife's AOS without one . USCIS did not look for it. I would add your DMV issued license or ID of both of you showing a common address. Any 401K or retirement from work showing your wife as a beneficiary?  Any other utility bills you can show them both your names?  What about cell phone bills that can show both of you on the account?

No cell phone bills because my wife is still on her parents plan because it’s way cheaper that way and i have a pre-payed phone which also works great because it’s cheap. As for utility bills we have electricity bills under her name but showing our adress and we have internet bills that gets mailed to us and showing both names on it the rest of the bills are paperless and they get processed through our joint checking account (an acount we created just to put bills money in it monthly) we don’t have 401k because I’m a part timer and she is in the transition to switch carriers. We have drivers licenses showing same adresses and i have statements for the bank accounts since we opened them (2 checkings and 1savings)

ps: we are a young couple (25 yrs both) 

Timeline
4 hours ago, NikLR said:

As stated you dont need life insurance to roc but you guys have kids. Its something you should have sooner than later. 

You can gets wills and living wills.  I would do both since children are involved.  

DL showing same address?

Notarizing a document shows that a notary confirmed the identity of the person's signature.  It does not verify any information is correct.  So only a will or living will would need a notary, and that depends on your state laws. 

Do have any joint bills? If not then send what you have. 

Can you please tell me whats the difference between wills and living wills?! And what is the process to getting these?!

also does it raise a concern that we are only doing these a month and a half before roc submitting?!

8 hours ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

Can you please tell me whats the difference between wills and living wills?! And what is the process to getting these?!

also does it raise a concern that we are only doing these a month and a half before roc submitting?!

Like i said before, mine were signed the day I sent ROC. 

A will is for if you die and what you want done with your estate and who will look after your children.  A living will is if you are unable to make a medical decision because you're on life support so if they should pull the plug or not and who can make that decision. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 5/3/2019 at 4:42 AM, geff44 said:

Would starting  a 401k account now be good ? the only reason we didn't start any 401k or other savings plans is because we were just starting the family and we wanted to keep all of our expenses low while use all the money we make to buy furniture,car and food cash without having to rely on a credit card because we wanted to stay debt free for at lesat the first 5 years of our marriage. so now would starting a 401k literally a month before ROC be suspicious or cause problems ?

Timeline
On 4/29/2019 at 6:06 PM, NikLR said:

Our tax software not pur.  

We use tax slayer

do i need a lawyer ? or would notarizing  these documents be enough ? i'm kind of not finding enough info on the net on how to do this.it would be really appreciated if you can walk me through the steps ?? thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.