jeszy

How long is it takes to get the green card after the interview?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

According to the old site they sent my interview information in the mail. (its still not there in the new log in uscis site) 

I know i am going to get a stamp in my passport but it is expiring real soon. That is why its important to me to know how long is it take because i gonna get a new passport soon and then the old passport is not gonna be valid with the stamp in it. Later i am not gonna be able to come back only if i have the green card in my hand. 

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I don't believe that there is any hard and set time frame for you receiving your GC after the interview. There are likely far too many variables involved to be able to give you a finite time frame.  First of all, you have to successfully pass the interview. Then, of course, there will likely be more bureaucratic shuffling of papers at the USCIS office. Then, there is the unknown of how many other cases and cards have to be processed prior to, and with, your paperwork. That's just the government machinations at DHS. Then DHS has to mail your GC packet, so were is another huge bureaucracy in the mix, the vaunted USPS. 

So as you can see, it may be easier to pick the next lucky six numbers at your favorite lottery, than try to "divine" the time frame when your GC will arrive at your mailbox.

BTW, it will most likely be a great source of joy when it does finally show up.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You won't get a stamp in your passport, you'll just get a green card in the mail. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 4/5/2019 at 7:07 PM, jeszy said:

According to the old site they sent my interview information in the mail. (its still not there in the new log in uscis site) 

I know i am going to get a stamp in my passport but it is expiring real soon. That is why its important to me to know how long is it take because i gonna get a new passport soon and then the old passport is not gonna be valid with the stamp in it. Later i am not gonna be able to come back only if i have the green card in my hand. 

Thanks

Unless it is different where you are since it's not in the US mainland, usually the interview will be held between 30- 45 days from your interview letter. My interview letter came from the NBC's Lee Summit office. So you might be able to calculate the transit time based on your NOA1 delivery time.

As after the interview if you are approved on the spot the green card can take anywhere from a week up to 30 days.

I don't think they are going to stamp your password at the interview. It's not a common practice anymore. Even if you get a stamp probably the date on it will reflect your passport's expiry date....

Can you renew your passport via the Hungarian Consulate in anyway? If your passport expires I am not sure how are you going to travel back to Hungary (I think that's what you planned in a previous topic)  to renew your passport. The green card is not a travel document recognized by other countries, except Mexico and Canada I think, but otherwise you need a passport to travel. Is there a direct flight from Guam to the States? In that case you could go to Washington DC where is a Hungarian consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.