silversnake125

I-824, Application For Action on an Approved Application

16 posts in this topic

Anyone going through/ recently gone through the i-824 process? My husband & I may have to file this form after all and I wondered what the wait time was.

USCIS site says 4.5-11.5 months which is a huge variance, so I wanted to hear from people who have just filed this or are still waiting to hear back with regards to their i-824 so I have some idea of how long we can expect to wait. 

TIA!

Our CR1/ IR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• September 14 2018: I-130 NOA1 (TSC)
  • March 19 2019: I-130 NOA2 (186 days)
  • April 26 2019: I-824 NOA1 (NBC) (Change from AOS to Consular - mistake on I-130 😭)
  • January 24 2020: I-824 NOA2 (273 days)
  • Feb 5 2020: Approved I-130 Sent to NVC (12 days after I-824 NOA2)

NVC Stage:

• February 12 2020: Case Received @ NVC (7 days after being sent)
  • February 16 2020: Expedite Request Sent - Financial Hardship
  • March 7 2020: Case Number Created (23 days after NVC receipt)
  • March 7 2020: IV & AOS Fees Paid (Showed as PAID after 4 days)
  • March 13 2020: IV & AOS Docs Submitted
  • March 30 2020: Expedite Request Approved - Conditional (once Embassies resume normal services - COVID19)
  • May 04 2020: Documentarily Qualified
  • July 16 2020: Expedite Request Approved - Unconditional!! 
  • July 31 2020: Medical Done
  • August 6 2020: Interview - APPROVED!
  • August 13 2020: CEAC Status - Issued! 😁

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
29 minutes ago, hannahjsf said:

Anyone going through/ recently gone through the i-824 process? My husband & I may have to file this form after all and I wondered what the wait time was.

USCIS site says 4.5-11.5 months which is a huge variance, so I wanted to hear from people who have just filed this or are still waiting to hear back with regards to their i-824 so I have some idea of how long we can expect to wait. 

TIA!

I'm  confused why you think you need to file this?  The uscis has recently approved the petition and it is enroute to the department of state.  Tbe uscis had completed its work.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I'm  confused why you think you need to file this?  The uscis has recently approved the petition and it is enroute to the department of state.  Tbe uscis had completed its work.

My husband (the petitioner) put that we were filing for AOS by mistake. I've never lived in the US and we've always had every intention of applying for a visa via NVC but he must have got confused after staring at forms for so long. So when we got our NOA2, it said I have to fill out i824 in order for the application to go to NVC. My husband spoke to a T2 at USCIS recently who said they would request for our service centre to send a new NOA2 stating I'm outside the US and would get them to send it to NVC ASAP, but we've also been told by other USCIS officers that they can't do that so I'm very wary and wanted to know what kind of wait time we'd be in for should we have to fill this form out in the end.

Our CR1/ IR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• April 26 2019: I-824 NOA1 (NBC) (Change from AOS to Consular - mistake on I-130 😭)

NVC Stage:

• March 30 2020: Expedite Request Approved - Conditional (once Embassies resume normal services - COVID19)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, hannahjsf said:

My husband (the petitioner) put that we were filing for AOS by mistake. I've never lived in the US and we've always had every intention of applying for a visa via NVC but he must have got confused after staring at forms for so long. So when we got our NOA2, it said I have to fill out i824 in order for the application to go to NVC. My husband spoke to a T2 at USCIS recently who said they would request for our service centre to send a new NOA2 stating I'm outside the US and would get them to send it to NVC ASAP, but we've also been told by other USCIS officers that they can't do that so I'm very wary and wanted to know what kind of wait time we'd be in for should we have to fill this form out in the end.

Ah, that will do it.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

How the wait times work is the first number is how long to process 50% of the applications, then the second number is for 93%  of the applications for whatever timeline you are checking. That is why you see such a gap in the numbers. Usually look for something in the middle of the range is about right.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

25 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

How the wait times work is the first number is how long to process 50% of the applications, then the second number is for 93%  of the applications for whatever timeline you are checking. That is why you see such a gap in the numbers. Usually look for something in the middle of the range is about right.

Thank you! 

Our CR1/ IR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Timeline

Example Time Range

We now show case processing times as a range. The first number is the time it takes to complete 50% of cases (the median). The second number is the time it takes to complete 93% of cases.

Found it, I can't believe I remembered that, but lots of free time to poke around the USCIS website.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

48 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Example Time Range

We now show case processing times as a range. The first number is the time it takes to complete 50% of cases (the median). The second number is the time it takes to complete 93% of cases.

Found it, I can't believe I remembered that, but lots of free time to poke around the USCIS website.

Do you have a link for this please? When I look on https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ it says 4.5-11.5 months for all service centers and didn't include the info about percentages that you put in above, so yours definitely seems more useful.

Our CR1/ IR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Timeline
5 minutes ago, hannahjsf said:

Do you have a link for this please? When I look on https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ it says 4.5-11.5 months for all service centers and didn't include the info about percentages that you put in above, so yours definitely seems more useful.

Here's the link, I'm pretty sure the percentages apply across the board per say. But read it and you will know what I know.

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/more-info

• 7 months later...

Hi, I’m sorry to hear about that mistake , me and my husband have the same situation, and we file in oct , just want to know your updates, is it approved? And how long it takes if it’s approved.

1 hour ago, man1234 said:

Hi, I’m sorry to hear about that mistake , me and my husband have the same situation, and we file in oct , just want to know your updates, is it approved? And how long it takes if it’s approved.

I’m sorry to hear you have experienced this too. No approval yet for ours. Our i824 was received on April 26th, it’s at the NBC. You can always check the processing times on the USCIS website, but the difference between minimum and maximum predicted dates is huge which makes it difficult to gauge. Just have to hang in there and keep checking 👎🏻 

Our CR1/ IR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

15 hours ago, hannahjsf said:

I’m sorry to hear you have experienced this too. No approval yet for ours. Our i824 was received on April 26th, it’s at the NBC. You can always check the processing times on the USCIS website, but the difference between minimum and maximum predicted dates is huge which makes it difficult to gauge. Just have to hang in there and keep checking 👎🏻 

I’m soo sorry it’s not approved yet , it’s long time to wait , its crazy how much you have to wait just for 1 mistake , the crazy part is that the processing time keep changing and become longer , 6.5 to 19 / now , but I’m sure you will be approved anytime soon now , really good luck. It’s really sad how you have to wait for papers just to be with your husband and family👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2019 at 10:08 AM, man1234 said:

I’m soo sorry it’s not approved yet , it’s long time to wait , its crazy how much you have to wait just for 1 mistake , the crazy part is that the processing time keep changing and become longer , 6.5 to 19 / now , but I’m sure you will be approved anytime soon now , really good luck. It’s really sad how you have to wait for papers just to be with your husband and family👎🏼👎🏼👎🏼

Hey! I just remembered that you had commented on here back in November.

Just wanted to update you that we got approved on 24th January. Our case was at the National Benefits Center. Total of 273 days.

Have you heard any news on yours? Hopefully it's approved soon!

Our CR1/ IR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

18 hours ago, hannahjsf said:

Hey! I just remembered that you had commented on here back in November.

Just wanted to update you that we got approved on 24th January. Our case was at the National Benefits Center. Total of 273 days.

Have you heard any news on yours? Hopefully it's approved soon!

Congratulationsssssss on your approval I’m so happy for you , and I’m appppprovedddddd as well I got my approval on 27 Jan and it took us 3 month only to get the approval, I was surprised when I sow it thanks god , we are in taxes center and it took them only 3 month to approve , we apply on 10 oct.

now I’m reading about the NVC process and really I want to do zero mistake in this and we stoped dealing with the lawyer , pLz if you have any links and any list that can help me in this process plz lets change together 

thanks alottt for your update .

16 minutes ago, man1234 said:

Congratulationsssssss on your approval I’m so happy for you , and I’m appppprovedddddd as well I got my approval on 27 Jan and it took us 3 month only to get the approval, I was surprised when I sow it thanks god , we are in taxes center and it took them only 3 month to approve , we apply on 10 oct.

now I’m reading about the NVC process and really I want to do zero mistake in this and we stoped dealing with the lawyer , pLz if you have any links and any list that can help me in this process plz lets change together 

thanks alottt for your update .

Congratulations!! So jealous I couldn't get approved in 5 months but also so happy that you didn't have to keep waiting!! 😊

I would say make some sort of list for yourself of documents you need and get them as soon as possible so you don't have to delay any more after you're given a case number. I've got a folder at home and have put sticky tabs on every document depending on what stage(s) I will need it for (pink for NVC, purple for Interview, blue for Medical). Keep all original documents where possible and a physical and electronic copies of everything you fill out/ sign during the entire process. Keep all evidence too. It's not common but some people have had their files get delayed or go missing so it's good to have copies of everything to bring to your interview.

Use this time to gather all your evidence that you need for the different stages. Read up on things like the I-864 very carefully as there's more than one type. For example, my husband & I will be doing the I-864EZ as he will be my sole sponsor when I move. Also check the poverty guidelines for the US state you'll be living in as these will tell you how much the sponsor or joint sponsors need to be making in order for NVC to be happy that the beneficiary won't become a financial burden on the country (they say you have to make at least 125% of the poverty guidelines). The two tables that open at the bottom of this link are very helpful, they tell you what I-864 you should fill out and what evidence you'll need to submit with it: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html (The link also has different tabs at the top which go through all the NVC steps and what you'll need for them.)

There's also a monthly NVC Filers forum on here where everyone who's currently at NVC can ask questions and get advice from people at the same stage or passed them. That's super helpful, and you can keep an eye on how long people are waiting for documents to be accepted/ what people got RFEs for and why. I'd recommend reading through and following those because a lot of questions in there are very common things we're all wondering, and someone who has done it will have the answer most of the time

Good luck and I hope NVC goes a lot smoother for us both. I think we have learnt our lessons and will be extra cautious from now 😊

Our CR1/ IR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.